KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Hard Science Fiction Reasources

Hard Science Fiction Reasources
Started by: Autokrat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lucius
Unknown

Hard Science Fiction Reasources

Perhaps this would have been a thread more suited to the Fiction forum but that place seems dead. I'm wondering if anyone has any links to sites with information on how to write hard science fiction. With information on stuff that is realistic or a future possibility (spaceflight, realistic technology and settings.)

I've scoured the web, but all I seem to find are stupid semantic arguments on what hard sci-fi is.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 05:49 AM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Orion's Arm (a hard SF universe with detailed explanations)
Atomic Rocket (suggestions for respecting science in SF)

You could also try Simple English Wikipedia and parts of TV Tropes regarding science fiction.

GURPS: Space, GURPS: Ultra-Tech and GURPS: Spaceships can be downloaded from the SJGames site (Spaceships takes their desire for strict technical accuracy a bit too far but the other two are great resources)

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Last edited by Symmetric Chaos on Jan 7th, 2010 at 06:05 AM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 06:01 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Orion's Arm (a hard SF universe with detailed explanations)
Atomic Rocket (suggestions for respecting science in SF)

You could also try Simple English Wikipedia and parts of TV Tropes regarding science fiction.

GURPS: Space, GURPS: Ultra-Tech and GURPS: Spaceships can be downloaded from the SJGames site (Spaceships takes their desire for strict technical accuracy a bit too far but the other two are great resources)

Thanks. smile

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 06:09 AM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Hard Science Fiction Reasources

Originally posted by Autokrat
Perhaps this would have been a thread more suited to the Fiction forum but that place seems dead. I'm wondering if anyone has any links to sites with information on how to write hard science fiction. With information on stuff that is realistic or a future possibility (spaceflight, realistic technology and settings.)

I've scoured the web, but all I seem to find are stupid semantic arguments on what hard sci-fi is.

I don't have links with me but I would suggest searching Analog or Asimov's Science Fiction for referrences.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 03:47 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Orion's Arm
Fantastic site for backstory. Terrible site on how to actually write a story.

I'm wondering if anyone has any links to sites with information on how to write hard science fiction.
If you're interested in actually writing a story - not just looking for cool stuff to put in it - read. Read, read, read: not just scifi (preferably by the masters), but also other genres. One of my personal, non-scifi favorites is Hemingway. His ultra-lean style is an excellent example of emphasizing verbs and nouns (good), not adjectives and adverbs (bad).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 08:42 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Mindship
Fantastic site for backstory. Terrible site on how to actually write a story.

I assumed he was looking for materials on what can properly go into a hard Sci-Fi story.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 08:46 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Hard Science Fiction Reasources

The trick is to study a lot of the great hard sci-fi writers and tie it in with real research and theoretical physics as well as known laws.

Freeman Dyson is probably the best place to start.

I would also recommend a lot of JG Ballard's sci-fi novels like
"the drowned world"....The interesting thing about his work is that it isn't set too far into the future but still contains interesting and plausible sci-fi...Some of which isn't all that far off being true...Drowned world being an example of global warming even though he wrote it in the 60's.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 08:49 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I assumed he was looking for materials on what can properly go into a hard Sci-Fi story.
I think that's mostly what he is looking for. But you already mentioned Orion's Arm: I needed a new angle for sticking in my two-cents.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 10:12 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote