KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » New Earthquake in Haiti

New Earthquake in Haiti
Started by: WhiskeyGirl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Miharu

Warning New Earthquake in Haiti

News story

Can they get a break?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 03:46 PM
Miharu is currently offline Click here to Send Miharu a Private Message Find more posts by Miharu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It seems the Earth is not done.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 03:47 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Earthquake or aftershock.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 03:48 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Miharu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
Earthquake or aftershock.

This is a quote from the story

The magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest of more than 40 significant aftershocks that have followed the Jan. 12 quake

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 03:53 PM
Miharu is currently offline Click here to Send Miharu a Private Message Find more posts by Miharu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Not to be picky (sorry if I seem persistant) but I don't think that qualifies as a New Earthquake.

However, I do agree that it is a horrific tragedy and people of Haiti will need our help.

Donate out of the kindess of your hearts.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 03:55 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Re: New Earthquake in Haiti

Originally posted by WhiskeyGirl
Can they get a break?

lol

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 07:25 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

another one? WOW!!

I have returned

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 09:37 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

It's an aftershock and they're expecting another one equally powerful in the next few days.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 09:45 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good stuff...This is what we like to see. Misery and death being inflicted upon the miserable and dead.

Bit pointless really.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 10:15 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Sucks to hear, damn.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 11:05 PM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Butcher
Marvelous

I'm glad I don't live there,it sucks to be them.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 11:07 PM
The Butcher is currently offline Click here to Send The Butcher a Private Message Find more posts by The Butcher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Someone needs to shut down HAARP. I really don't why Merica keeps sending Earthquakes over there.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 11:15 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

can it be possible that haiti was formed by an underground volcano? and its getting ready to erupt because lava is forcing way to the surface causing massive shakes?

(i dont know to much about stuff like that)

I have returned

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 11:43 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
can it be possible that haiti was formed by an underground volcano? and its getting ready to erupt because lava is forcing way to the surface causing massive shakes?

(i dont know to much about stuff like that)

Haiti (along with all the other Caribbean islands) was formed by volcanoes and it lies on a geological fault line (which caused the quakes) and these are where volcanoes form.

So while it's possible, it's not as likely as just the plates slipping (although this can cause a new volcano to begin to form but there's so far no evidence that is happening)

Old Post Jan 20th, 2010 11:51 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

After having 2 large earthquakes....I'm actually curious why a tsunami hasn't made an apperance...

(Not that I'm wishing such a horrible thing to happen...but just curious)

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 10:52 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

After having 2 large earthquakes....I'm actually curious why a tsunami hasn't made an apperance...

The Earth quakes happen under land.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 10:54 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Not that I'm trying to discuss like a geologist (I'm not qualified) but Japan also experiences land shakes and occasionally tsunamis occur. Same with polynisean (sp?) islands...

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 10:57 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Not that I'm trying to discuss like a geologist (I'm not qualified) but Japan also experiences land shakes and occasionally tsunamis occur. Same with polynisean (sp?) islands...

It all depends on what happens on the surface. The Earth quake must cause a subsidence/uplift on the sea floor before a tsunami can be generated.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 11:04 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's to do with the type of fault line. If the plates move past each other sideways like the lines below then they rarely cause tsunamis.

<-----------------------
------------------------>

If it is a subduction zone plate when one slides underneath the other then this causes what is known as "megathrust" quakes.

What happens is the plate that is on top is pushed gradually upwards and occasionally "slips" back over the top of the lower plate. This displaces massive volumes water and causes tsunamis.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 11:30 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Awesome and thanks for the info jaden.

Here in California we're adapted to quakes and what strikes me the most is that there are always alerts of tsunamis in the coastal area. To my memory there hasn't been any recorded. I think the warnings are just for safe precaution and a possible rare occasion of one happening.

Now, Hawaii in the other hand....

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2010 12:15 AM