KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Oceans losing oxygen due to climate change

Oceans losing oxygen due to climate change
Started by: The Dark Cloud

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Archaeopteryx

Oceans losing oxygen due to climate change

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 07:01 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Its the white peoples fault!

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 07:02 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

No amount of evidence will ever convince me that humans are capable of altering their environment. Now excuse me while I drive into a city via major highway to buy seeds from Pakistan that have been adapted to my local climate which I will plant around the town reservoir.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 07:13 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Nope, there's no proof that humans affect the climate.

Now I invite those US Politicians and Rush Limbaugh to drink from certain "natural" lakes and waters. Maybe eat certain fish and game, while they're at it.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 07:18 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Its another scam, thats it.

The Goverments kill the fish etc....and then blame use so us have to buy their stuff.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 07:33 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Al Gore anyone?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 07:35 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

"WASHINGTON — Lower levels of oxygen in the Earth's oceans, particularly off the United States' Pacific Northwest coast, could be another sign of fundamental changes linked to global climate change, scientists say."

That's a big could be.

"appear to be spreading"

Can they be a little more definite?

Maybe this is the real reason.

"Commonly, ocean "dead zones" have been linked to agricultural runoff and other pollution coming down major rivers such as the Mississippi or the Columbia . One of the largest of the 400 or so ocean dead zones is in the Gulf of Mexico , near the mouth of the Mississippi ."

""It is consistent with models of global warming, but the time frame is too short to know whether it is a trend or a weather phenomenon," Johnson said. "

Is this the models of global warming that were found to show the Earth warming regardless of the information put into the model?

"Scientists are unsure how low oxygen levels will affect the ocean ecosystem."

I thought we just read that it was bad. confused

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 08:42 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
"Scientists are unsure how low oxygen levels will affect the ocean ecosystem."

I thought we just read that it was bad. confused

Imagine taking the oxygen out of the air. The exact effects are hard to pin down but as far as pretty much every animal on the planet is concerned it would be bad. They're called "dead zones" for a reason.*

*Because stuff living there dies

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Maybe this is the real reason.

"Commonly, ocean "dead zones" have been linked to agricultural runoff and other pollution coming down major rivers such as the Mississippi or the Columbia . One of the largest of the 400 or so ocean dead zones is in the Gulf of Mexico , near the mouth of the Mississippi ."

I'm inclined to agree with this.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 09:06 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Imagine taking the oxygen out of the air. The exact effects are hard to pin down but as far as pretty much every animal on the planet is concerned it would be bad. They're called "dead zones" for a reason.*

*Because stuff living there dies

I realize that, but I was just amused by how much "dancing on the fence" the writer of the article was doing. laughing

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 09:08 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

We should plant some trees in the ocean.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 09:20 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

everyone stop pissing in the water. if your in a pool its ok. just dont do it in the lakes or ocean.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2010 09:57 PM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

changing the equilibrium of a large system supporting life is ALWAYS a bag thing for the life in it. at least in the forseeable short term {i.e. couple of centuries}

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 01:43 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Nope, there's no proof that humans affect the climate.

Now I invite those US Politicians and Rush Limbaugh to drink from certain "natural" lakes and waters. Maybe eat certain fish and game, while they're at it.
it's okay it's nature water...

2:30 to 2:50

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 01:53 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chomperx9
everyone stop pissing in the water. if your in a pool its ok. just dont do it in the lakes or ocean.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 02:01 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

just b/c urine is sterile it doesnt mean certain chemicals dont make it through the system like medications, maybe that is what is killing the the fishies.

Last edited by Dark Riddick on Mar 9th, 2010 at 02:42 AM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 02:40 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Re: Oceans losing oxygen due to climate change

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/2...clatchy/3444187

Utter bollocks, and even if it were true the creatures of the world will have to adapt won´t they like they have throughout the history of the planet, its called evolution.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 10:21 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by leonheartmm
changing the equilibrium of a large system supporting life is ALWAYS a bag thing for the life in it. at least in the forseeable short term {i.e. couple of centuries}

I think homeostasis is the word you're looking for.

And, that would still be a slight misnomer. On just a slightly larger timescale than a human life, we can compare the "present" state with the "original" state and see a change...in many different ecosystems.

It's just a "different" homeostatic state, but it does change.

On topic: Humans disturb the homeostasis and the nautral changes to the homeostatic dynamic (seems like an oxymoron..lulz). We are turds that stink up places.

But that reminds me of this:

(please log in to view the image)

It's humor, don't knock it for seriousness!

Last edited by dadudemon on Mar 9th, 2010 at 02:04 PM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 02:02 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

Originally posted by dadudemon
I think homeostasis is the word you're looking for.

And, that would still be a slight misnomer. On just a slightly larger timescale than a human life, we can compare the "present" state with the "original" state and see a change...in many different ecosystems.

It's just a "different" homeostatic state, but it does change.

On topic: Humans disturb the homeostasis and the nautral changes to the homeostatic dynamic (seems like an oxymoron..lulz). We are turds that stink up places.

But that reminds me of this:

(please log in to view the image)

It's humor, don't knock it for seriousness!

i thought homeostasis only applied to living things. dont tell me ur a gaia theorist now.

1. that wud still in all probability lead to mankinf dying out, now u can be non human and not care but if were human.......

2. this isnt the kind of change that has happened before though, poisioning the system, changing the oceaning currents, etc, who knows what wud be left after the biotic life has had time to adjust.

3. most species just barely survived the last few BIG changes that happened. seeing as the oceans are the most "protective" regions that can be provided to life to survive in large changed, poisioning them migh unravel all life.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 03:38 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

bet thise pesky whales wished they lived in captivity now... shifty

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 03:43 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
bet thise pesky whales wished they lived in captivity now... shifty

Whales are mammals, they don't have gills.

I just eSodomized you.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 9th, 2010 04:59 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote