KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Can some medicine show up as an illegal drug in a drug test?

Can some medicine show up as an illegal drug in a drug test?
Started by: Clone

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Clone
War Goddess

Warning Can some medicine show up as an illegal drug in a drug test?

Hi i got hired at a retail store today but i need to pass the drug test first. I take the 12 hour Sudafed that contains pseudoephedrine for my cold due to allergies. Im worried i will not pass. Should i be worried?/
I have 48 hours from now to take the drug test, what should I do?!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:16 PM
Clone is currently offline Click here to Send Clone a Private Message Find more posts by Clone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

if you are worried, get a doctor's note. nothing available over the counter should contain controlled substances

is pseudoepinephran an opiate or amphetamine of some kind?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:21 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone
War Goddess

oh good its an over the counter medicine but i just herd that the pseudoephedrine is the main ingredient for meth. i don't know what kind it is.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:24 PM
Clone is currently offline Click here to Send Clone a Private Message Find more posts by Clone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think the doctor administering your drug test or your forms will ask if you are currently on any medication.. just tell him what it is and you should be fine if anything pops up and can be traced to that particular medicine.

dont hold me on it b/c ppl nowadays dont care or prejudge ppl even with a valid reason

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:31 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone
War Goddess

I think you're right i'll just show them the medicine box. I should be fine right? agree with me.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:45 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Clone
oh good its an over the counter medicine but i just herd that the pseudoephedrine is the main ingredient for meth.

The creation the meth is a chemical reaction, even if pseudoephedrine was a component it wouldn't appear in a drug test for meth.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:47 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone
War Goddess

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The creation the meth is a chemical reaction, even if pseudoephedrine was a component it wouldn't appear in a drug test for meth.
well it sounds you know meth well so i trust you're right. thank you smile

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:50 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

well it sounds you know meth well so i trust you're right. thank you smile

No, I know chemistry. Sodium is explosive and chlorine is a dangerous toxin. Salt, however, is not explosive and required for life. In chemistry the whole is usually quite different from the sum of its parts.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 11:54 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone
War Goddess

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, I know chemistry. Sodium is explosive and chlorine is a dangerous toxin. Salt, however, is not explosive and required for life. In chemistry the whole is usually quite different from the sum of its parts.
wow i bet you never had trouble finding x

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:00 AM
King Kandy

Re: Can some medicine show up as an illegal drug in a drug test?

Hi i got hired at a retail store today but i need to pass the drug test first. I take the 12 hour Sudafed that contains pseudoephedrine for my cold due to allergies. Im worried i will not pass. Should i be worried?/

There's no problem, but you may want to cut poppy seed bagels from your diet for a bit.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:03 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

oh good its an over the counter medicine but i just herd that the pseudoephedrine is the main ingredient for meth. i don't know what kind it is.

you should be ok, pseudo itself only contains a base ingredient in making meth, ie: there is no meth in it. if you are really worried, talk to a doctor at a walk in or something, and you can probably get a note for a couple of bucks, and be sure to tell the person administering the test as wild shadow said.

the pseudoepinepheran is in fact an amphetamine, which may show up, but amphetamines are very different from meth, and have legitimate medical uses. you should be fine, just make sure you are proactive

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:09 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clone
War Goddess

Originally posted by inimalist
you should be ok, pseudo itself only contains a base ingredient in making meth, ie: there is no meth in it. if you are really worried, talk to a doctor at a walk in or something, and you can probably get a note for a couple of bucks, and be sure to tell the person administering the test as wild shadow said.

the pseudoepinepheran is in fact an amphetamine, which may show up, but amphetamines are very different from meth, and have legitimate medical uses. you should be fine, just make sure you are proactive
awesome, im going to go to the hospital right now. thank you so much!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:13 AM
tsilamini

also, the Internet is a terrible place to get medical advice

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:18 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Can some medicine show up as an illegal drug in a drug test?

Wouldn't worry about it too much. When companies test for drugs they do so using a method called gas chromotography/mass spectrometry or GCMS. It's extremely accurate in determining chemicals both qualitatively and quantitatively meaning they can tell what it is and how much there is.

It can also accurately tell the difference between derivatives of very similar types of compounds and does so as a %...Usually it'll say something like

99.9% psuedoephedrine
40% ephedrine
10%....
1%....

With the highest % being the likeliest compound.

It does this by breaking the compound across natural fracture lines in the structure and identifying parts and then uses software to give the likeliest compounds those fragments make up.

Oh...and to answer a few of your other queries...psuedoephedrine isn't used to make meth but it's used to cut it as it's another stimulant...Basically it gives a very mild stimulant effect (similar to caffiene) so you still get an effect but the drug dealers make more money cause the shit stimulants are legal but much cheaper than the actual main drug.

And to answer your main query. Yes some over the counter drugs can mimic banned substances...Some nasal sprays for cold treatments can mimic nandrolone which while isn't illegal is banned in sports.

Then again...Some substances in avocados also mimic nandrolone.

But again...Don't worry too much.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:35 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

If you're worried, smoke some weed to calm yourself down.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 12:40 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Mindset
If you're worried, smoke some weed to calm yourself down.
great advice roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 01:11 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

You're fine. Some OTC drugs might show up in a drug test (In Canada, Codeine is OTC and its an opiate) but generally drug tests only test for a specific few illegal drugs.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 02:55 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

codine isn't OTC in Canada

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 03:46 AM
RedAlertv2

Not by itself, but Tylenol 3's and such are.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 04:49 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

no they aren't

at least in Ontario you need a prescription

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 04:59 AM