KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » AIDS cured?

AIDS cured?
Started by: dadudemon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

AIDS cured?

http://gizmodo.com/5713498/man-officially-cured-of-hiv

quote:
For the first time, a man has been declared officially cured of HIV. The remedy may nearly have killed him, but it opens a door—just a crack—to hope that we may someday kill off the scourge for good.

Strangely enough, the diagnosis that most concerned Timothy Ray Brown in 2007 was acute myeloid leukemia. HIV has been increasingly thought of as a manageable disease, though certainly a terribly burdensome one. What brought the 42-year old Brown under the care of Germany's Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin hospital was the more immediate threat his cancer posed.

The treatment Brown underwent was aggressive: chemotherapy that destroyed the majority of his immune cells. Total body irradiation. Finally, a risky stem-cell transplant that nearly a third of patients don't survive—but that appears to have completely cured Brown of HIV.

Doctors were savvy when they chose a stem cell donor for Brown. The man whose bone marrow they used has a particular genetic mutation, present in an incredibly small percentage of people, that makes him almost invulnerable to HIV. With Brown's own defenses decimated by treatments, the healthy, HIV-resistant donor cells repopulated his immune system. The initial indications that the virus had abated were promising. But only just now, having taken no antiretroviral drugs since the transplant, and following extensive testing shows no signs whatsoever of HIV, have his doctors given the official word:

He's cured.

What does this mean for the future of treatment? It's not as though every HIV patient can or would want to go through the tremendous suffering that was prelude to Brown's recovery, or be able to afford the procedure if they could or did. But for the first time, we know that HIV can be cured, not just managed. It opens new avenues of research—gene therapy, stem cell treatments—that may otherwise have been thought dead ends. [AIDS Map]

Got to the site to get a better read with the working links.

But, this made me really happy.

As I said on Facebook, the fact that it was stem cells made me even happier. Take THAT conservatard theists.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 03:28 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Re: AIDS cured?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
the fact that it was stem cells made me even happier. Take THAT conservatard theists.
thumb up

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 03:35 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

i read about this this morning.

I know investors are paying attention. they wanna see how they can profit somehow in anyway even if it means lives.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 04:49 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I posted about the CCR5 mutation years ago in here, glad to see process was actually done with it since then.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 05:28 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Robtard
I posted about the CCR5 mutation years ago in here, glad to see process was actually done with it since then.

I wonder if they could ever make something like a vaccine out of the mutation?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 05:35 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I wonder if they could ever make something like a vaccine out of the mutation?

When I had posted, there was some guy working that. He happened to be part of the very small population that carries the mutation.

No idea how far he's come though. I'd also imagine the pharmeceutical giants would want to suppress a vaccine/cure. There's billions to be made in prolonging the lives of HIV patients for decades with daily pills and injections, less in outright curing them.

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 15th, 2010 at 05:44 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 05:42 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I am glad that they found a cure but am not glad that they are useing stem cells to cure it.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 07:11 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

There's billions to be made in prolonging the lives of HIV patients for decades with daily pills and injections, less in outright curing them.
Sad but true
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I am glad that they found a cure but am not glad that they are useing stem cells to cure it.
And why not?

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Last edited by Parmaniac on Dec 15th, 2010 at 07:19 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 07:16 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

quote:
"Doctors were savvy when they chose a stem cell donor for Brown. The man whose bone marrow they used"

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 07:24 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I guess if you say stem cells some people will jump to conclusions.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 07:51 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

AIDS is vengeance from God and we need to make sure that all **** die from it because that will teach them to sin against nature.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 08:29 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

When I had posted, there was some guy working that. He happened to be part of the very small population that carries the mutation.

No idea how far he's come though. I'd also imagine the pharmeceutical giants would want to suppress a vaccine/cure. There's billions to be made in prolonging the lives of HIV patients for decades with daily pills and injections, less in outright curing them.

But if the technology to make the cure is out there someone will release it. Even if the upfront cost is high due to big companies not wanting to use it people will pay to not have the disease hanging over their heads.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 08:29 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
AIDS is vengeance from God and we need to make sure that all **** die from it because that will teach them to sin against nature.

More heterosexuals have the disease and die from it than homosexuals, so your God is as inept as RogueJedi's manager.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 08:39 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
But if the technology to make the cure is out there someone will release it. Even if the upfront cost is high due to big companies not wanting to use it people will pay to not have the disease hanging over their heads.

Must you shit on my conspiracy?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 08:40 PM
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

I always thought republicans were gods vengeance.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 08:42 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

More heterosexuals have the disease and die from it than homosexuals, so your God is as inept as RogueJedi's manager.

AIDS is God's vengeance against fornicators and adulterers, so we need to make sure that all the **** die because that will teach them to sin against nature.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 09:36 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

AIDS is God's vengeance against fornicators and adulterers, so we need to make sure that all the **** die because that will teach them to sin against nature.

Newborns get HIV/AIDS too, your God is inept. Sorry.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 09:38 PM
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Why doesn't he chooses a new Noah and flush's the toilet again?

Seemed to work well in the past...

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 09:39 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Newborns get HIV/AIDS too, your God is inept. Sorry.

God hates children born to atheists.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 09:40 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

God hates children born to atheists.

I thought you were going to go for the we are all born into sin line. laughing

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 09:42 PM