KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Kinder Surprise and other idiotic US bans

Kinder Surprise and other idiotic US bans
Started by: Darth Jello

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Kinder Surprise and other idiotic US bans

So here's something that baffles me about this country. We have a really shoddy safety record when it comes to a lot of domestic products or even imports from China. Yet we have some really idiotic bans on innocuous products, mainly foreign imports that have either been proven safe or have a safety record better than most products. Some examples of this are sheep lungs (for human consumption), all legal forms of absinthe and absinth, fugu that's either farm raised or has been certified butchered (you can currently only legally import fugu if you have a license and are employed in cooking it) and others.

To me, the ban and draconian enforcement on kinder surprise seems the most idiotic. For those who don't know, kinder surprise is a chocolate candy made by Ferraro consisting of either a chocolate shell with a plastic egg and toy inside or a plastic egg with one half chocolate and one half sealed toy. Now there may be some issues with choking as safety but the counter argument to that would be that
1. There's a big label saying that the candy isn't for children under 3.
2. Ferraro's been around for quite a few decades, they make a lot of popular products including Nutella and for all their sales, there have only reportedly been 7 child deaths in their entire history. Compare that to Happy Meals or US toys that are still on the market. Maybe I'm being insensitive but considering that it's a cheap children's candy that's been on the market for around 35 years, 7 out of something like 1 billion seems like a pretty damn good safety record.
The most stunning thing is that though you can find it in some US stores, the police and courts have been going outside of their jurisdiction with some cases being reported of people being fined $300 FOR POSSESSION. This isn't a controlled substance or serious contraband. It's a ****ing chocolate.
And just as a double standard, Nestle Wonderballs were a similar concept that were allowed until someone pointed it out. So Nestle changed the design to instead incorporate no plastic egg and no toy, but irregularly shaped, sweet tart-typed candies inside which are easy to choke on.

Thoughts?

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 10:00 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

7 CHILD DEATHS??? MURDERING BASTARDS SHOULD BE OUTLAWED.

Or at least pay more taxes.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 10:31 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

It might have made some sense at one point when Kinder Surprise toys were actually a bit complex and had small parts. Now though they have at most three parts which are rather large and come packed with a disclaimer about how they present a choking hazard in many languages.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 10:57 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101

Statistically speaking, that's a better safety record than almost any US company.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 11:22 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Are you seriously telling me Kinder Surprise is banned in America?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2011 11:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

I think the ban on Absinthe has been lifted.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 12:21 AM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by -Pr-
Are you seriously telling me Kinder Surprise is banned in America?

I know, right? I remember eating those as a very small child. So small, I may have be 2. Those were the bomb.

Guess what? I ate them with the mighty curse words: "ADULT SUPERVISION."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 12:32 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'm amazed. Maybe it's just an Irish thing, but as nice as the chocolate was, kids wanted it for the toy in the first place, and it always came in a big plastic casing that you'd have to be pretty stupid to swallow.

Of course nowadays, you appreciate the chocolate more, but still...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 12:54 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by dadudemon
I know, right? I remember eating those as a very small child. So small, I may have be 2. Those were the bomb.

Guess what? I ate them with the mighty curse words: "ADULT SUPERVISION."
And look how you turned out!

They should have been banned years ago.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 01:11 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Mindset
And look how you turned out!

They should have been banned years ago.

laughing laughing laughing

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 01:12 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I really, really love being not American sometimes.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 01:40 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
I think the ban on Absinthe has been lifted.
You can't get Absinth here (the czech dreck) or the more potent and flavorful bleau absinthes or Spanish Absentas for the most part. So far only the fairly humdrum green verite stuff has been approved.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 12:00 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

The way the banners are crying on, youd expect T-Shirts saying "I Survived Kinder Surprises" to carry some impressive weight with them.....

Man I Feel bad for those seven kids, but I'd bet choking on boiled sweets and nuts is way more common.

I wonder if the real reason for the ban was the trend in fool proof dope stashing offered up by the airtight plastic egg....
Well...foolproof except for this guy:
http://cannazine.co.uk/cannabis-new...capes-jail.html

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Mar 3rd, 2011 at 02:24 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 02:20 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

My question is...

If the chocolates are that insignificant... and if they're available in many stores anyway... why do people give a shit if they're banned?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 02:22 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Cause things like this are happening over said chocolate:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...article1865884/

And to some its like Concorde being recalled, the end of Space Shuttle Orbitors, like when the Amiga was ran into the ground before its potential could ever be fully realised by incompetent and stupid, profiteering management by one man..

Unique iconic things that are stamped out, often for seemingly silly reasons.

But mostly its the dope smuggling thing, methinks.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 02:32 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Maybe they want more US goods sold, so they find ways of blocking foriegn stuff.

It is hypocritical when you consider how much poison like Aspartame and Flouride ridden goods they allowed to be sold, they even flouride in tap water for fooks sake.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 05:07 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

God, you people just don't understand. An egg with a big, had plastic egg in it is dangerous. An egg with no plastic egg but lots of small, hard, irregularly shaped sour candies in it, like wonderball, is safe. Also boba tea is safe. Hot dog on a stick is safe. Cereal with toys in it is safe. popcorn with unpopped kernals is safe...

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 07:19 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Originally posted by jaden101

I argee.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2011 07:22 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I argee.
Well then we should outlaw every single food and toy on the market other than gluten-free non-dairy gruel, shouldn't we. Can't have any foods that have reported any kinds of deaths so anything containing saturated or transfats, milk, wheat, bones, foil wrappings, meat, honey, nuts, peanuts, eggs, shells, that needs to be chewed, or is of a consistency thicker than ketchup is out of the question because all of those products kill thousands individually every year through spoilage, food borne illness, choking, allergic reactions, atherosclerosis, and celiac disease, right?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 06:44 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Darth Jello
Well then we should outlaw every single food and toy on the market other than gluten-free non-dairy gruel, shouldn't we. Can't have any foods that have reported any kinds of deaths so anything containing saturated or transfats, milk, wheat, bones, foil wrappings, meat, honey, nuts, peanuts, eggs, shells, that needs to be chewed, or is of a consistency thicker than ketchup is out of the question because all of those products kill thousands individually every year through spoilage, food borne illness, choking, allergic reactions, atherosclerosis, and celiac disease, right?
Didn't you get her joke? She said that she "argee(s)". Clearly she's being ironic.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2011 08:06 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote