KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Resuscitate, or don't Resuscitate?

In a case of heart stoppage, do you want to be revived?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes! I want everything that can be done to save me... be done! 1 33.33%
No. I prefer that fate take it's course. 1 33.33%
Yes - but only on certain occasions. 1 33.33%
I'm not sure - I'm pretty healthy and/or haven't thought about this very much. 0 0%
Total: 3 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Resuscitate, or don't Resuscitate?
Started by: siriuswriter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
siriuswriter

Resuscitate, or don't Resuscitate?

To resuscitate means to restart the heart in a medical emergency - a car crash, a sudden dip in vital signs, etc.

Do you want to be resuscitated if your heart stops? Or would you rather let your body take its "natural" course? What about people on machines? Are they still "alive?" If people are "brain-dead," are they "dead". What would you prefer happen if this situation happened to you? To a loved one?

Along with this goes the process of creating a Living Will. Do you think Living Wills are good ideas, or bad ones?

In some cases, you don't really have a choice if medical staff will try to restart your heart... or not. In emergency response situations, medical staff can be fired if they do not try to restart your heart, such as at the scene or in an ambulance from an accident, or if a doctor makes a mistake during surgery.

Also, does age have anything to do with this issue. If so, what? When should people start to make their own decisions about how they may want to end their lives?

Pro-Euthanasia, anti-Euthanasia?

Finally, who is allowed to make these decisions about you?!

Discuss.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Last edited by siriuswriter on May 14th, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Old Post May 14th, 2011 12:13 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

If they cannot restart my heart in time to prevent brain damage I do not want to be resuscitated, it states so in my living will.

Currently my sister has legal power if I'm incapacitated including the power to take me off life support.

Euthanasia is really a different topic. I do support making legal assisted suicide for terminally ill patients who are suffering.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 12:24 AM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I'm not sure I'd want to live with brain damage but if my heart had just recently stopped then yeah people should revive me.

Living wills are a great idea, if only because they remove extremely painful legal and moral ambiguities.

This doesn't seem quite like euthanasia though I'm "pro" on that subject.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 12:47 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

ya, I'd rather not live through an accident where I lost brain function, a limb, my sight/hearing, etc

Old Post May 14th, 2011 01:12 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
ya, I'd rather not live through an accident where I lost brain function, a limb, my sight/hearing, etc

I could stand to lose a limb and maybe my hearing.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 01:26 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

If the accident didn't kill me, and I woke up, sure, I'd probably decide to carry on. if I had the choice though, I'd rather not.

hearing might be more importan than seeing imho. what kind of life would it be without music?

Old Post May 14th, 2011 01:31 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Obviously I want to be resuscitated if it's going to save me... if it leaves me brain dead though, by all means skip it.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 02:45 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

hearing might be more importan than seeing imho. what kind of life would it be without music?
Thank you! You're the only person who's answered the "sight or hearing" question and brought up music.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 03:13 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Thank you! You're the only person who's answered the "sight or hearing" question and brought up music.

it is such a huge part of my life. I could deal with never hearing another person again, but to lose music, to lose dancing, I couldn't imagine what life would be like

Old Post May 14th, 2011 05:51 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

it is such a huge part of my life. I could deal with never hearing another person again, but to lose music, to lose dancing, I couldn't imagine what life would be like
thumb up

Old Post May 14th, 2011 06:34 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I say, cut off my head and freeze it before brain damage sets in. Then revive me after the Singularity occurs so my engrams can be uploaded into something akin to Destroyer armor.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 11:51 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Freeze my body and throw me into space.

When the aliens find me they'll turn me into an Atomic Superman Killin Machine.

I'll return to Earth and kick some ass.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 01:20 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I am againist euthanasia.If it is my time to go then it is my time to go and I reather leave that choice up to God and not of man.My hushand is however for enuthanasia so I will not be having him make the choice for me at all since I don't want the plug pulled if there is still hope.
For him however I will never have the doctor pull the plug at all.So anyway hopfully I never will have to make that choice.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 02:17 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

That's kinda ridiculous. Music is great, and sure there's a lot of hardship deaf people face...but blindness isn't even in the same league, it completely changes your life. No Internet (feasibly), no reading (limited anyways), no reasonable easy way to navigate...

Old Post May 14th, 2011 02:46 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Bardock42
That's kinda ridiculous. Music is great, and sure there's a lot of hardship deaf people face...but blindness isn't even in the same league, it completely changes your life. No Internet (feasibly), no reading (limited anyways), no reasonable easy way to navigate...

This.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 14th, 2011 04:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TacDavey

No posting to KMC...

If I was in an accident, even if it did cost me a limb or sense, I'd want to be resuscitated. Sure, it would be hard going through life without a limb or sense, but I have to think about those around me too, and it would be a terrible blow on my family and loved ones if I died. At least... I'd like to think it would be.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 04:30 PM
TacDavey is currently offline Click here to Send TacDavey a Private Message Find more posts by TacDavey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

I prefer not to be resuscitated. But it's a bit of a sticky question for me because I had a traumatic childhood illness, so the people around me are very : "You survived all that, and yet you don't think you can handle losing something else?"

But I don't know how I would live if I lost my eyesight. I had surgery on my eyes one time, and for two weeks afterward I had to feel my way around the house. I had prepared by checking out some books on cd/tape from the library, but everything was so awkward - eating, trusting my mind to know my house... I get goosebumps every time I think of going without my eyesight.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 08:50 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

it would be harder day to day in terms of getting around, sure, I'm not saying it wouldn't be

but the loss of music and everything that comes with it would be so devastating to me it would, in terms of subjective feelings of loss, be just as bad. Sure, I can walk around and still go surf the net, but there is nothing else that give me joy like music or like dancing, and to lost that part of my life would be equally as bad as losing the ability to surf the net.

so like, ya, a "normal" life might be more possible without hearing, I just want no part of that life.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 09:02 PM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I am againist euthanasia.If it is my time to go then it is my time to go and I reather leave that choice up to God and not of man.My hushand is however for enuthanasia so I will not be having him make the choice for me at all since I don't want the plug pulled if there is still hope.
For him however I will never have the doctor pull the plug at all.So anyway hopfully I never will have to make that choice.
your posts amuse me

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 09:18 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
your posts amuse me
There's a reason for that, but it's considered mean to say it.

Old Post May 14th, 2011 10:31 PM