KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The Purpose of Governments?

The Purpose of Governments?
Started by: King Kandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King Kandy

The Purpose of Governments?

I became interested in this after another debate where I disagreed over what the ideal "purpose" of governments is. I think if we had a good communication on this, it could help us all understand where each other are coming from more clearly; often I think disagreements of whether a governments actions are good stem from a deeper disagreement on this issue.

For me, personally, I think the job of a government is to create the highest possible standard of living for it's citizens. A constitution's purpose is to decide the limits on what actions can be employed towards this goal, i.e. which freedoms can be limited, and which are inviolable.

Old Post May 21st, 2011 04:30 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I would agree with that assessment.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 21st, 2011 04:38 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Smaller Government FTW.

Old Post May 21st, 2011 05:46 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WanderingDroid
Smaller Government FTW.

What do you see as the purpose? (I assume it's not "to be small")

Old Post May 21st, 2011 05:54 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Well, the purpose is very obvious...you establish a social contract between yourself and the community. However, I don't think you would like the community telling how to run your business, buy a home, get a car, or spend your money. As a citizen you will abide but not be dictate...that's as simple as I can put it.

Old Post May 21st, 2011 05:57 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Well, the purpose is very obvious...you establish a social contract between yourself and the community. However, I don't think you would like the community telling how to run your business, buy a home, get a car, or spend your money. As a citizen you will abide but not be dictate...that's as simple as I can put it.

But, what do we contract w/ the community for, like, for what purpose does the contract exist?

Old Post May 21st, 2011 06:10 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Protection and administration.

Old Post May 21st, 2011 07:19 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by King Kandy
I became interested in this after another debate where I disagreed over what the ideal "purpose" of governments is. I think if we had a good communication on this, it could help us all understand where each other are coming from more clearly; often I think disagreements of whether a governments actions are good stem from a deeper disagreement on this issue.

For me, personally, I think the job of a government is to create the highest possible standard of living for it's citizens. A constitution's purpose is to decide the limits on what actions can be employed towards this goal, i.e. which freedoms can be limited, and which are inviolable.

I agree with that mostly. I guess I see freedom and security as a part of standard of living. The question just is how do you weigh these things.

Old Post May 21st, 2011 09:06 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Liberator
Mums Gardener

The purpose of Government is social control and, as was stated, administration.

- Emma Goldman

Old Post May 21st, 2011 08:47 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

The prevention of anarchy

Old Post May 21st, 2011 11:31 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Exploitation of the strong.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 12:42 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I think you have to differentiate between what the purpose of government should be and what it is.

Because lets face it, the goverments of today are lying, corrupt bunch of rip of artists with the gift of the gab.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 07:40 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bicnarok
I think you have to differentiate between what the purpose of government should be and what it is.

Good point.

However, the thread is actually asking quite specifically what the purpose of the government is to you.

It is not asking what the purpose of your existing government is.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 07:54 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Exploitation of the strong.

Then why do the "strong" (by that I assume you mean the rich) control the government in the US? The "strong" are hardly exploited here.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 05:09 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
Then why do the "strong" (by that I assume you mean the rich) control the government in the US? The "strong" are hardly exploited here.

He's doing his objectivist satire. It's been a while.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 05:23 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Smaller Government FTW.

I argee and less power as well.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 06:19 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I argee and less power as well.

I agree the government could be somewhat smaller. It has entire departments and numerous agencies that could and should be eliminated, or at least downsized.

But what do you mean by less power? And who gets said power? Elaborate please.

Old Post May 22nd, 2011 10:33 PM
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
The prevention of anarchy

glares

- Emma Goldman

Old Post May 23rd, 2011 03:26 AM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skekUng

Re: The Purpose of Governments?

Originally posted by King Kandy

It's a great question; one that has been debated for thousands of years. Here in America we like to pretend we knew what it meant, despite the use of terms like more-perfect in the founding documents we like to wave in front of others to make ourselves feel superior and shame them all at the same time.

What ever definition is agreed upon by the majority in this thread, it does not have to mean that 1% deserves the finite resources and wealth of the other 99%. This is not to say that all people have to be equal in their desperation or oppulance; but that no one merrits desperation because of accident of birth or at the expense of theorhetical intellect and/or labor.

Old Post May 23rd, 2011 07:01 AM
skekUng is currently offline Click here to Send skekUng a Private Message Find more posts by skekUng Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Re: Re: The Purpose of Governments?

Originally posted by skekUng
It's a great question; one that has been debated for thousands of years. Here in America we like to pretend we knew what it meant, despite the use of terms like more-perfect in the founding documents we like to wave in front of others to make ourselves feel superior and shame them all at the same time.

What ever definition is agreed upon by the majority in this thread, it does not have to mean that 1% deserves the finite resources and wealth of the other 99%. This is not to say that all people have to be equal in their desperation or oppulance; but that no one merrits desperation because of accident of birth or at the expense of theorhetical intellect and/or labor.

I do think it can mean the latter to some people (or at least be a result of their government), why would you exclude that definition categorically?

Old Post May 23rd, 2011 09:01 AM