KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Does anyone really understand the world economy

Does anyone really understand the world economy
Started by: Mikey no 1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mikey no 1

Does anyone really understand the world economy

I don't believe they do

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 12:59 AM
Mikey no 1 is currently offline Click here to Send Mikey no 1 a Private Message Find more posts by Mikey no 1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I do

have faith in inimalist

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 01:13 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
I do

have faith in inimalist

confused

*Lays his burden's upon inimalist*

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 01:52 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mikey no 1

Southpark?

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 02:50 AM
Mikey no 1 is currently offline Click here to Send Mikey no 1 a Private Message Find more posts by Mikey no 1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Det. Lester Freamon: You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the f*** it's gonna take you.

^

This is why The Wire is the greatest TV show of all time.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 03:15 AM
-kV- is currently offline Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

(please log in to view the image)

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 03:32 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

To be perfectly honest no!

I havn´t got a clue what all those people with weird suits on with numbers on, who are waving pieces of paper about and shouting all friggin day ( stock markets ) are doing.

I like the old way, where you buy raw material for x make something with it and sell it for y making a profit.

All this derivative, hedge fonds etc confused the crap out of me, even though I´ve watched videos on it.

Mind you I never had a mind for boring mind numbing lawyer like stuff.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 08:32 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Re: Does anyone really understand the world economy

Originally posted by Mikey no 1
I don't believe they do
It can't hurt to expect that a lot of the "big bad guys" know what they're doing before you sign a contract. It also can't hurt to assume politicians don't have the faintest idea how the economy works. The hell if I know how right you'd be in either scenario.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 04:34 PM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

to be honest, I hardly think most of our economic problems are a result of people not understanding the economy (sure, there is that, like reducing spending during a recession), but rather that there are a small group of people who understand it well enough to exploit the marketplace at the expense of everyone else, for their own limited gain.

It isn't a matter of ignorance that causes the big problems. Investors and the lot knew exactly what they were doing, and many did try to whistle-blow on the system before 2008

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 04:47 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harbinger
Firestorm

The Tea Party does. Put your faith in them, and they will save us.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 04:48 PM
Harbinger is currently offline Click here to Send Harbinger a Private Message Find more posts by Harbinger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

sick

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 04:49 PM
Harbinger
Firestorm

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 05:03 PM
Harbinger is currently offline Click here to Send Harbinger a Private Message Find more posts by Harbinger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Originally posted by Harbinger
The Tea Party does. Put your faith in them, and they will save us.
The modern equivalent of Mussolini's Black Shirts or Pelley's Silver Legion are economists now?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 05:41 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Harbinger
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I can't even support them in jest

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 05:48 PM
Anarchy UK

One question if the banks owe money and the countries owe money- Who do they owe money to? As everyone seems to owe.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2011 07:51 PM
Anarchy UK is currently offline Click here to Send Anarchy UK a Private Message Find more posts by Anarchy UK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Not everyone owns NET money. Banks owe money but they also loan money. I'd be very interested to see the flowchart.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 03:23 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Quark_666
Not everyone owns NET money. Banks owe money but they also loan money. I'd be very interested to see the flowchart.

it starts with the banks getting 0% interest loans which they loan back to the federal government for 4%, and ends with you in high heels and a mini skirt bent over the kitchen table

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 04:24 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

No, but some people understand it better than others.

It's probably worth noting that many places have laws specifically to prevent anyone from understanding the economy. Preventing insider trading, for example, locks away key pieces of information that you need to figure it out.

Originally posted by Anarchy UK
One question if the banks owe money and the countries owe money- Who do they owe money to? As everyone seems to owe.

As I understand it that's kind the point. The modern world uses mostly debt backed currency, the idea is to make sure that money keeps flowing. It's also where people have a problem with our current economic model. One way of describing it is as a massive Ponzi scheme or a pyramid scheme.

Unlike a person running such a scam, however, large governments and banks have no where to go and are functionally immortal, they cannot cut and run even if they want to. Everyone is chasing someone else's debt but, no, it's ultimately not owed to anyone in particular because it doesn't exist . . . yet. That's the key to it.

In the case of real Ponzi schemes the pool of investors is limited to a fraction of the market and if they pull out the scheme collapses. In our market the pool of investors is everyone everywhere, but it can still be damaged by large players pulling out. So long as the economy keep growing the wealth that's owed to people will eventually exist. This is another point of contention that people have, unlimited growth probably isn't possible (but predicting the limit is impossible) and many people don't think its desirable because of the resources consumed.

TL;DR if everyone suddenly demanded their debts be paid immediately there wouldn't be enough money in the world but the system assumes the majority of debts will be in the form of investments, so people don't want to suddenly cash stuff in

[edit]: The pro-debt argument is that if we don't use such a system people will have to stockpile money in order to buy expensive things (imagine buying a house without being able to take out a loan) and that will slow the economy.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Last edited by Symmetric Chaos on Aug 13th, 2011 at 04:43 AM

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 04:39 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
[edit]: The pro-debt argument is that if we don't use such a system people will have to stockpile money in order to buy expensive things (imagine buying a house without being able to take out a loan) and that will slow the economy.

What happens in an economic system that has been running like that for 50 years? Doesn't that "slowness" factor eventually "catch up" to the debt system as the accumulated-wealth-system takes root? I see no real long-term difference except the "accumulated" system does not allow for most forms of debt making it much more stable.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 07:10 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

What gets me is the interest, if you lend money and have to pay interest back then where does the interest come from? And there are a lot of loans out there which means a lot of interest!! take the US Dept and 15 Trillion or whatever it is, friggin hell is there that much money in the world???

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 04:52 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote