KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Alan Greenspan: "We Can Always Print More Money"

Alan Greenspan: "We Can Always Print More Money"
Started by: Omega Vision

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Alan Greenspan: "We Can Always Print More Money"

I loled at the other guest's reaction.

So does Greenspan not understand basic economic principles or is he just lying in a misguided attempt to boost morale?

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 02:07 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Technically he's right, the US could just print trillions of dollars and pay off all the debts it owes. The fallout from that would suck, though.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 02:16 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Technically he's right, the US could just print trillions of dollars and pay off all the debts it owes. The fallout from that would suck, though.

Yeah but that's like saying you can technically repair a broken power line by holding both ends in each hand.

Edit: Does that analogy make sense? I haven't studied electricity in a while.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 02:23 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CloverQuick

It is truly pathetic if Alan really believes this is a solution.

We already don't have gold backing all of the printed money we have out there - and our coins have become mixtures that contain less and less of the original metal that was considered of value.

Eventually our money becomes worthless when there's nothing backing it - it's like building a house with no foundation under it.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 03:33 AM
CloverQuick is currently offline Click here to Send CloverQuick a Private Message Find more posts by CloverQuick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Alan Greenspan: "We can always Jew the economy."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 03:53 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

And how did he become Fed Chairman again??? no

The Word

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 04:18 AM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

We can print more money as long as we do what a bunch of other countries just did and ban short sales since shorting is really the engine that drives hyperinflation. As for Greenspan, as a member of Ayn Rand's cult, it's a travesty that he was put in charge of the Fed and a miscarriage of justice that he wasn't institutionalized like all hardcore Objectivists should be.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 07:21 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

the gold standard will save us

all hail the gold standard

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 03:12 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Well, it seems like he's mainly arguing that there's zero probability of the US defaulting. Which is true. I don't think he says that's his suggestion of dealing with it though. Would be interesting to see what he goes on to say and what predated it.

Though, I do think that he's missing the point, cause obviously buying bonds is not a smart option at all if your interest is eaten up by inflation.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 03:37 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Yeah but that's like saying you can technically repair a broken power line by holding both ends in each hand.

Edit: Does that analogy make sense? I haven't studied electricity in a while.

They could just print enough money to pay off the debts and then destroy trillions of dollars in money shortly afterwards.

Problems averted.

no expression

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 05:08 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
They could just print enough money to pay off the debts and then destroy trillions of dollars in money shortly afterwards.

Problems averted.

no expression

I prefer nuclear accounting.

"What debts? Mister AGM-129, do you remember anything about us being in debt?"

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 05:12 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, America owing debt is BS, it's like the biggest toughest bully in school owing the the weakling $2.00. Will the US ever have to pay all out? Likely no.

Well over half of the US debt is owed to America/Americans/American institutions. So there's a nice huge chunk of that 14 trillion America can float indefinitely. The other 35-40% is owed to nations that both can't force America to pay and/or can't afford to severe relations and/or trading with the US.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 17th, 2011 at 05:41 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 05:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

that is entirely true...

the way debt has hijacked American politics is very strange. I'm not saying national debt is good, but it certainly doesn't present near as much of a problem as other issues, even within the economy...

Then again, lots of people still believe (wrongly) that the recession was a result of too much government or personal debt, so there is that....

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 05:50 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Alan Greenspan: "We Can Always Print More Money"

Originally posted by Omega Vision

I loled at the other guest's reaction.

So does Greenspan not understand basic economic principles or is he just lying in a misguided attempt to boost morale?
That IS basic economic principle.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2011 09:12 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

"WE"? Then I should be able to print money for myself and my family

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 04:39 PM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by alltoomany
"WE"? Then I should be able to print money for myself and my family

"We" as in the country, not you, me and your mailman.

Though considering it's Greenspan, maybe he was using a nosism, ie the royal "we" and plans on printing money in his basement for personal use. Wouldn't surprise me.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 18th, 2011 05:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote