KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Who are your role models?

Who are your role models?
Started by: King Kandy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
King Kandy

Who are your role models?

I was curious about this. I'm an atheist, so I don't use any holy book as a guide to my life. But nonetheless, I do have people whose lives and teachings, I find highly applicable to myself and try to go by. I'm curious what people other members consider their "role models".

I have a lot of them, but here's a short few:

Richard Feynman
Albert Einstein
Timothy Leary
John Lennon
Ken Kesey
Franklin Roosevelt

Last edited by King Kandy on Sep 12th, 2011 at 06:34 PM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 06:31 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theICONiac

Whether you believe in him or not Jesus had a lot of good advice

Last edited by theICONiac on Sep 12th, 2011 at 07:02 PM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 06:57 PM
theICONiac is currently offline Click here to Send theICONiac a Private Message Find more posts by theICONiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

In some ways, in some ways I think a lot of his advice is awful. But its not like you are bound to take 100%. Some people, I take lessons from even though they disagree with me on almost everything.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:00 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theICONiac

quote: (post)
Originally posted by King Kandy
In some ways, in some ways I think a lot of his advice is awful. But its not like you are bound to take 100%. Some people, I take lessons from even though they disagree with me on almost everything.

Out of curiosity what advice did Christ give you feel was awful?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:05 PM
theICONiac is currently offline Click here to Send theICONiac a Private Message Find more posts by theICONiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by theICONiac
Out of curiosity what advice did Christ give you feel was awful?

"Turn the other cheek" can be disastrous at times.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theICONiac

Originally posted by Robtard
"Turn the other cheek" can be disastrous at times.

Only disasterous when one party does not subscribe to the same philosophy smile

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:18 PM
theICONiac

Re: Who are your role models?

I was curious about this. I'm an atheist, so I don't use any holy book as a guide to my life. But nonetheless, I do have people whose lives and teachings, I find highly applicable to myself and try to go by. I'm curious what people other members consider their "role models".

I have a lot of them, but here's a short few:

Richard Feynman
Albert Einstein
Timothy Leary
John Lennon
Ken Kesey
Franklin Roosevelt

Curious about some of your picks...

Einstein? Are you a physicist?

Timothy Leary? Do you follow a similiar lifestyle (which would probably disqualify you from being a physicist wink )

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:24 PM
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

God
Jesus
Holy Spirit
The Angels
Santa
The Easter Bunny
Tooth Fairy
And the gay elf who wants to be a dentist

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:38 PM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I'd include Feynman as well. Don't make things too complex, study the things that interest you, understanding breeds appreciation not dismissal, and so on.

Various writers that I've read over the years. Simmons, Banks, Shakespeare. I'd like to be a writer myself.

Skinner. I'm not a radical behaviorist but I do appreciate the desire to put scientific rigor in places that lack it. We can understand things if try to. Also I found this funny picture of him.

I can't say there are any religious or philosophical figures I'm especially enamored of. I like Bentham quite a bit but I find it difficult to support any self consistent sort of utilitarianism.

I don't have a wide enough or deep enough understanding of art, sports, poetry, and the like to have any role models there. All I know is the Old Masters are awesome and anything after Picasso is pointless without including an explanation.

Attachment: skinner.jpg
This has been downloaded 77 time(s).

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:46 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Walter Payton.
My mother.
Jesus Christ.
James (my god-brother).
Rosa Parks.
My Grandfather.
Marie Curie.
And the latest addition:

Stephen Hawking. He may be right, afterall. (The Bet).

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 07:57 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Re: Re: Who are your role models?

Timothy Leary? Do you follow a similiar lifestyle (which would probably disqualify you from being a physicist wink )

you know Leary was a world renown psychologist who designed many of the psychiatric tests still in use today?

Last edited by tsilamini on Sep 12th, 2011 at 08:10 PM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 08:06 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Re: Re: Who are your role models?

Einstein? Are you a physicist?

I love science, though I am a chemistry student not a physicist. But I am actually speaking more in reference to the moral/political views espoused by Einstein.

And where's your PhD?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 08:20 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Those who immediately come to mind...

My dad
My wife
Leo Bucaglia
Carl Sagan
Superman / Silver Surfer (yeah, I said it)
Any enlightened being in history.

Who used to be on the list: Ah-nuld

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 08:22 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Not easy. I'm tempted to list writers, but enjoying their writing doesn't make them great role models. "Heroes" would have been an easier term to list. Role models implies a certain amount of emulation. I admire Jorge Luis Borges and love his writing, but the dude was chronically depressed and horribly self-deprecating. Not awful qualities, but not ones I'd wish to mimic. Same with, say, Shakespeare. Do I aspire to emulate the man or the characters he created? More of the latter.

With that in mind, this is a fairly rigid list of role models, not including several others I might list as personal heroes.

Snoopy (yes, really)
Joseph Campbell
Walt Whitman
Michael Shermer
Doctor Who
My brother
Two friends of mine, both named John. But I realize anonymous people aren't as relevant to KMC discussion.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 12th, 2011 at 09:34 PM

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 09:22 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

Eliezer Yudkowsky
Richard Feynman
Brandon Sanderson
Albert Camus

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 09:33 PM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theICONiac

Re: Re: Re: Who are your role models?

Originally posted by inimalist
you know Leary was a world renown psychologist who designed many of the psychiatric tests still in use today?

Quite.

Although take away the drugs and he loses that certain pizazz, no?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 09:38 PM
theICONiac

Re: Re: Re: Who are your role models?

I love science, though I am a chemistry student not a physicist. But I am actually speaking more in reference to the moral/political views espoused by Einstein.

And where's your PhD?

I have a diploma from the Stratford Career Institute. BEAT THAT! stick out tongue

Just curious as to why Einstein would be your role model is all...

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 09:45 PM
tsilamini

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are your role models?

Quite.

Although take away the drugs and he loses that certain pizazz, no?

you mean take away a central part of a person's development and experience and they become someone different?

obvious points are obvious too, aren't they?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 10:14 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theICONiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are your role models?

Originally posted by inimalist
you mean take away a central part of a person's development and experience and they become someone different?

obvious points are obvious too, aren't they?

Exactly!

Had King Kandy mentioned Freud/Pavlov/Jung etc. no one would nary bat an eye...but Leary? First thing that comes to mind is...wait for it, DRUGS!

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 10:25 PM
tsilamini

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are your role models?

Exactly!

Had King Kandy mentioned Freud/Pavlov/Jung etc. no one would nary bat an eye...but Leary? First thing that comes to mind is...wait for it, DRUGS!

so you are trying to mock Kandy because you have a superficial level understanding of Tim Leary's impact on science and society?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 10:28 PM