KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why Do People Hate The West for Trying to Control the Middle East?

Why Do People Hate The West for Trying to Control the Middle East?
Started by: RE: Blaxican

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

Why Do People Hate The West for Trying to Control the Middle East?

It's not as if the Middle Eastern nations wouldn't try to do the exact same thing to the West if circumstances were switched.

That's just Geopolitics, for you...

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 21st, 2011 09:10 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Re: Why Do People Hate The West for Trying to Control the Middle East?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
It's not as if the Middle Eastern nations wouldn't try to do the exact same thing to the West if circumstances were switched.

I'm not sure the "they would do it too" argument will fly with most people.

Also, it's possible those nations would be just as hated if circumstances were switched. People often react negatively to imperialism.

Last edited by StyleTime on Oct 21st, 2011 at 09:20 PM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2011 09:14 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

because they are upset with the consequences of America's geopolitical choices?

like, you aren't arguing that the West doesn't try to control the middle east, or that the outcome is beneficial to either side, are you?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2011 09:19 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

What does that statement even mean?

If the Middle East were trying to control the West then the Middle East would be trying to control the West.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2011 10:12 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Stepping away from any argument of morality on a pragmatic level the American policy on the Middle East has been a failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2011 10:20 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

That's an idiotic argument. So because someone else would do a really stupid, ineffective policy, we should do it too? This is the blind leading the blind.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 12:15 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by inimalist
because they are upset with the consequences of America's geopolitical choices?

like, you aren't arguing that the West doesn't try to control the middle east, or that the outcome is beneficial to either side, are you?
Nope. Fully aware of our douchebaggery. I don't think the douchebaggery is exclusive to the western nations, though.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Stepping away from any argument of morality on a pragmatic level the American policy on the Middle East has been a failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours
Yah, I agree. What we're doing now isn't working at all; thank god we're pulling out of Iraq. Kinda curious to see if Obama will really go through with that, though.

Originally posted by King Kandy
That's an idiotic argument. So because someone else would do a really stupid, ineffective policy, we should do it too? This is the blind leading the blind.
Interesting. So like, what in your opinion would be a better policy? By the by, I'm hoping you present something at least semi-practical, not, like, some hippie crap like "world peace". Obvs, if the whole world got along there'd be no need for the political games we're playing.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 01:21 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Nope. Fully aware of our douchebaggery. I don't think the douchebaggery is exclusive to the western nations, though.

then why are you surprised that people dislike the actions of a douche?

should people on the receiving end of American imperial power really say something like, "well, they feel it is their right to own all the resources of our land and control our government, and that is their pragmatic policy decision, and I can understand that, so I'm not angry!"?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 01:24 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by inimalist
[B]then why are you surprised that people dislike the actions of a douche?
I specified the West. Nobody likes a douchebag, lol.

quote:
should people on the receiving end of American imperial power really say something like, "well, they feel it is their right to own all the resources of our land and control our government, and that is their pragmatic policy decision, and I can understand that, so I'm not angry!"?
Of course not. As someone who isn't on the receiving end of Western* Imperial power, though, how do you feel about the West's goal to **** the rest of the world in an attempt to remain the dominant force on the planet?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 01:49 AM
siriuswriter

Martin Luther King Jr had an interesting theory that one should fix oneself before going to others to try and fix them.

I agree with him. Maybe people around the world agree with his theory too.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 01:57 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Reminds me of Jesus' saying about removing the straw from your eye before pointing out the straw in others; that's probably where Martin Luther King got it from. It's one of my favorite scriptures, personally.

Do you think that's a realistic expectation of the world, though?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 02:00 AM
tsilamini

Of course not. As someone who isn't on the receiving end of Western* Imperial power, though, how do you feel about the West's goal to **** the rest of the world in an attempt to remain the dominant force on the planet?

conceptually: I think we should work for the survival of our societies and people, of course, and that involves securing certain types of trade and resources.

in practice: I don't think the way the west goes about it, in terms of propping up dictators and the use of covert/conventional military power, is the best way specifically because it breeds the type of resentment you talk about. America doesn't have to prop up a dictator to trade with Canada, or invade Mexico. Obviously there are massive differences between Canada and, say, Columbia or Bahrain, I just think the way we in the West approach other nations in these douchebag ways generally undermines our interests in the long run, though it might be exceedingly profitable in terms of immediate gains.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 02:28 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The weak, disenfranchised, disadvantageous, poor, hungry, and begging all pardon--stupid, naturally distrust/hate those who are strong, enfranchised, advantageous, rich, (non-?)hungry, and begging all pardon--intelligent. Fear, ignorance, desire, and hate are all natural human responses, and those who the hate West's imperialism shouldn't be reprimanded for it. Conversely, those who practice imperialism and take from those that can't hold on are all equally human, and shouldn't be reprimanded either.

I've never understood the notion of "there's the West, and there's the rest". We're all petty, simple creatures trying to grab as much pie for ourselves as we can, and as it happens, one collective is in a much better position to reach more of it than the others. We're winning for now, one day that may change. No biggie.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Oct 22nd, 2011 at 06:33 AM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 06:27 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

The West wants to take control of the oil production, which is not theirs to begin with.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 06:32 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dying Forum
Restricted

Account Restricted

Some trolls in this thread :-) Not good ones though.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 01:51 PM
Dying Forum is currently offline Click here to Send Dying Forum a Private Message Find more posts by Dying Forum Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Because no other country should control any others but there own.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 02:24 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

West is hypocritical, and that's why it's hated a bit more.

Anglo-American empire has spilt a lot of blood in history, given, many other have too, yet they're the ones that are constantly preaching about some kind of human rights, international law and democracy, YET, they're the ones constantly breaking international law, human rights and installing dictators around the world that would benefit Euro-American empire.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2011 04:23 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

can I just throw out there that those in the Middle East do a TERRIBLE job of controlling the middle east? They should be thankful that someone is trying to control them instead....

Old Post Nov 12th, 2011 07:02 PM
truejedi is currently offline Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alltoomany

the US is just pissed off that they have family values

Old Post Nov 12th, 2011 08:10 PM
alltoomany is currently offline Click here to Send alltoomany a Private Message Find more posts by alltoomany Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because we're spending trillions of dollars devaluing our currency for Israel, that's ****ing why.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2011 07:47 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote