KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Gunter Grass banned from Israel for "Anti-Semetic" Poem

Gunter Grass banned from Israel for "Anti-Semetic" Poem
Started by: Omega Vision

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Gunter Grass banned from Israel for "Anti-Semetic" Poem

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/201...red-from-israel

quote:
The celebrated German author Günter Grass has been declared persona non grata in Israel following the publication of his poem warning that the Jewish state's nuclear programme was a threat to an "already fragile world peace". The row over the literary work continued to reverberate over the weekend, with the 84-year-old Nobel laureate saying in a newspaper interview that he did not intend to criticise Israel but the policies of its present government, led by Binyamin Netanyahu. With hindsight, he told Süddeutsche Zeitung, he would have rewritten his poem to "make it clearer that I am primarily talking about the [Netanyahu] government". He added: "I have often supported Israel, I have often been in the country and want the country to exist and at last find peace with its neighbours." Netanyahu, he said, was damaging Israel. Israeli politicians and commentators said that Grass had disqualified himself from criticising Israeli policies by his service as a young man in the Nazi Waffen SS. Some said the poem was thinly disguised antisemitism, a response predicted by Grass in his poem. Netanyahu issued a statement denouncing the poem and its author.

quote:
Amid the torrent of denunciation, some Israeli commentators said Grass had raised an important issue and that criticism of Israeli policies was routinely portrayed as antisemitism. Writing on the +972 website, Larry Derfner said: "Günter Grass told the truth, he was brave in telling it, he was brave in admitting that he'd been drafted into the Waffen SS as a teenager, and by speaking out against an Israeli attack on Iran, he's doing this country a great service at some personal cost while most Israelis and American Jews are safely following the herd behind Bibi [Netanyahu] over the cliff." Gideon Levy, the Haaretz columnist, wrote that Grass and other critics of Israeli policies were "not anti-Semites, they are expressing the opinions of many people". "Instead of accusing them, we should consider what we did that led them to express it," he said.

It's quite possible that Grass is a closeted anti-semite (I don't think it's true though, getting drafted into the SS when you're not even old enough to drive doesn't automatically make you an anti-Semite) but anyone who thinks that frank criticism of Israeli foreign policy is anti-Semitic needs to have their head examined.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Apr 8th, 2012 at 04:25 PM

Old Post Apr 8th, 2012 04:18 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote