KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Higgs boson particle

Higgs boson particle
Started by: Digi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Higgs boson particle

Apparently it has been discovered:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...-165431909.html

The quotes from the scientists are appropriately reserved, but with the reputations and funding that are on the line with this sort of stuff, the evidence must clearly be strong enough to warrant general release.

I feel this is somewhat akin to black holes - they were theorized before they were discovered. It's classic induction (or deduction? I always get the two confused)...based on what we know, something of a certain nature must also exist.

And the particle accelerator in the picture look so happy. He's like "Hey guys! I found it!"

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 09:53 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Re: Higgs boson particle

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi

I feel this is somewhat akin to black holes - they were theorized before they were discovered. It's classic induction (or deduction? I always get the two confused)...based on what we know, something of a certain nature must also exist.

It's induction. Deduction only occurs when a sound, valid argument cannot fail to reach a true result by virtue of basic logic.

My Ethics Professor explained it to me with the 'Socrates is a man, all men are mortal, ergo Socrates is mortal' example.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 10:39 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

what does it do?

I have returned

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 11:15 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

It's more or less The Force

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 11:42 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
what does it do?

It creates a field that permeates all space. When a partial moves through this field it gains mass.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2012 11:47 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

"Scientist" messing round where they shouldn't be messing. Could destroy reality; yet they foolishly proceed ahead like blind children into a forest filled with wolves and pedos and pedo-wolves.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 12:04 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

As admittedly awesome as this is I often wonder what other disciplines could do if they were given "several billion dollars" and ninety squares miles to build research laboratories.

In fact that funding is why they're not reporting a discovery yet. Not for political reasons but because their machines can be so very precise. Physics has refined its technology so much that it can get more certain than the "999,999 in a 1,000,000" odds of being right they have right now.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 12:16 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
As admittedly awesome as this is I often wonder what other disciplines could do if they were given "several billion dollars" and ninety squares miles to build research laboratories.

I feel like, long-term, this kind of research is as potentially beneficial as any. It's easy to place more importance on immediate concerns, and not those we won't be alive to see come to fruition. But it's not like useful stuff hasn't come from studying physics before.

I'd also put this in line behind many, many other endeavors that I feel are wasted money. If I made a budgetary chopping block for the planet, things like the LHC would be relatively safe.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 12:32 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I feel like, long-term, this kind of research is as potentially beneficial as any. It's easy to place more importance on immediate concerns, and not those we won't be alive to see come to fruition. But it's not like useful stuff hasn't come from studying physics before.

I'd also put this in line behind many, many other endeavors that I feel are wasted money. If I made a budgetary chopping block for the planet, things like the LHC would be relatively safe.

Curious about that view. What do you think useful may come from them beyond simply having more proof for a theory?

I myself no very little about this but am curious about what beneficial effect you see.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 12:34 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by jalek moye
Curious about that view. What do you think useful may come from them beyond simply having more proof for a theory?

I myself no very little about this but am curious about what beneficial effect you see.

I have no idea. And I wouldn't even want to speculate due to not having enough knowledge.

But, speaking generally, knowledge of the universe we exist in can't be a bad thing. And while it's true that some findings are purely academic right now, there's a lot that recent findings have done. Here's a blurb from a wiki article on quantum mechanics, for example:
A great deal of modern technological inventions operate at a scale where quantum effects are significant. Examples include the laser, the transistor (and thus the microchip), the electron microscope, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The study of semiconductors led to the invention of the diode and the transistor, which are indispensable parts of modern electronics systems and devices.

And do you imagine any layman imagining these applications 50-100 years ago when quantum mechanics were just beginning to take root in the public?

So this may indeed end up being purely academic. But a LOT of other stuff that was, initially, purely academic became very useful, from Aristotle to Hawking and beyond. Or maybe this bit of information won't prove useful, but will in 200 years contribute to a theory that will. We don't know, but it's exciting and gives us more potential. And, worst case scenario, we know more about our universe. It's a win/win.

Last edited by Digi on Jul 3rd, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 12:43 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I don't think the LHC is wasted money, suffering from diminish returns for sure but not a waste. I just think its a shame that particle physics is the only area of research that gets this kind of overwhelming support.

Stanley Milgram was one of the most earnest scientists I've ever come across. He developed a dozen versions of his key experiment and tried them on various group in the US and flew to Europe to trying them on corresponding groups there before running put of money in Germany (I think) and having to return home. Particle physics is able to reach metaphorical Asias, Africas, and South Americas for their work.

The LHC doesn't get crazy accurate results because their math is so awesome. It runs the same experiment millions of times in a row.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 12:46 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I agree with your line of thinking--the FSU writing program should get several billion dollars and ninety square miles to build a replica of Walden Pond along with a facsimile of William Wordsworth's old property in the Lake District, the forest in Russia where Tolstoy used to walk through to compose his thoughts, the various prisons where Miguel Hernandez wasted away, and the Roman villa where John Keats died.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 04:29 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

So, a Higgs-Boson walks into a church....

Then the priest immediately stops it and says, "we don't allow your kind in here!" The Higgs-Boson retorts, "but without me, how can you have Mass?!!?!?!"

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 06:33 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I agree with your line of thinking--the FSU writing program should get several billion dollars and ninety square miles to build a replica of Walden Pond along with a facsimile of William Wordsworth's old property in the Lake District, the forest in Russia where Tolstoy used to walk through to compose his thoughts, the various prisons where Miguel Hernandez wasted away, and the Roman villa where John Keats died.

This would actually be awesome. Imagine the media attention they'd receive, and as a result the influx of world-class instructors and students.

I think Sym was talking more about other sciences though. Realistically, no English program needs billions of dollars for anything.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 01:30 PM
Ascendancy

Originally posted by dadudemon
So, a Higgs-Boson walks into a church....

Then the priest immediately stops it and says, "we don't allow your kind in here!" The Higgs-Boson retorts, "but without me, how can you have Mass?!!?!?!"

eek!

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2012 03:06 PM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by Robtard
"Scientist" messing round where they shouldn't be messing. Could destroy reality; yet they foolishly proceed ahead like blind children into a forest filled with wolves and pedos and pedo-wolves.

Everything in this quote is false, LHC can in no way destroy reality.

Also for those wondering if CERN was worth the time and money...internet.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 12:31 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

WTF is it with the internet trolling from idiot atheists telling the "Christf*gs" that it's all over now that the God Particle was discovered?

It's as if they don't even understand what function in quantum physics that the Higgs Boson was to have and instead fixate on the word "god" in "God Particle" and think it somehow means "science has disproven a need for God".

That's ALMOST as annoying as the theists saying that this discovery PROVES God's existence!

Why can't we just enjoy the "potential" discovery for it's own sake and not inject religion or anti-religion?

/diatribe

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 01:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

This would actually be awesome. Imagine the media attention they'd receive, and as a result the influx of world-class instructors and students.

I think Sym was talking more about other sciences though. Realistically, no English program needs billions of dollars for anything.

What about a program for cancer research?

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 02:38 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
Why can't we just enjoy the "potential" discovery for it's own sake and not inject religion or anti-religion?

You're just angry we disproved God.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 03:20 PM
Morridini
Morridini

Curious, how do anyone reach the conclusion that this disproves God?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Jul 4th, 2012 03:53 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote