KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Afforable Care repealed

Afforable Care repealed
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Afforable Care repealed

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...imes-the-charm/

God bless the Republican party. Robbing the poor to give to the rich. Truly the American way big grin

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 11:20 PM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Not actually repealed. They need a majority in the Senate and then a supermajority (or whatever its called) to get it past Obama.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 11:31 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Yeah, heard about this. It's not surprising in the least, and the article says, it won't change anything, it's a symbolic gesture. The Republicans have lost and they know it. They just want to go down swinging.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 11:33 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Yeah, heard about this. It's not surprising in the least, and the article says, it won't change anything, it's a symbolic gesture. The Republicans have lost and they know it. They just want to go down swinging.

I only wish they'd do it on their own time.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 12:07 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Good old GOP. So determined to put one guy out of a job, that they'll keep millions of others jobless by wasting their time with this shite instead of actually doing something important.

Get over it, Repubs - it passed, it's constitutional, and it's staying.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 12:37 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Clearly this symbolic non-sense is more important than passing actual viable legislation such as a jobs bill and the like. Onward and upward I say. Bully, bully!

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 03:48 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Isn't it wonderful knowing that we have politicians ruling a country of 310 million people who would prefer if 306 million of them died?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 03:52 AM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Silly rabbit, only the Plutocrats are important. The rest are just excess skin waiting for the great circumcision.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 04:07 AM
Ascendancy is currently offline Click here to Send Ascendancy a Private Message Find more posts by Ascendancy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

man, this is like an impressive amount of determination to not have to help others

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 05:49 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

This is the most liberal/democratic (the party) website I have ever seen. The sheer amount of anti-GOP sentiment is hilarious.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not actually repealed. They need a majority in the Senate and then a supermajority (or whatever its called) to get it past Obama.

This.

The repeal is actually another bill. They got the bill to pass in the house by a simple majority. The senate will not contain even a simple majority against the bill. The Senate is Dem-Heavy at the moment. Even with a few democrats siding with the GOP, it will not be enough to garner a simple majority. As you aptly point out, it would require a supermajority to override the inevitable veto from Obama's desk.

There are 53 dems and 47 republicans in the senate. There are 2 independents in the senate.

In 2009, the original vote was 60–39: 60 dems, 2 independents, and 1 republican for and 39 GOP against. I believe one GOP member didn't vote (it's been a while). 2/3s vote is the supermajority required, as outlined in Article 1, to override the presidential veto. That means 68 votes in favor of the repeal bill.

I want to see the bill repealed and a true universal healthcare system (or a single payer system) put in place. There are quite a few good things about AHCA (or PPACA). There are also quite a few bad things about it, too. Why do we have to settle for both? We shouldn't. To be honest...I think half to even most of the bad things about the bill are due to the GOP's meddling and the concessions the dems had to make to get it passed.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 07:12 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mkt07

With the help of the republican party the rich are becoming richer and the poor are becoming poorer. God bless them.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 09:19 AM
mkt07 is currently offline Click here to Send mkt07 a Private Message Find more posts by mkt07 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

get used to 4 more months of pointless posturing from the house of outrage manufacturing obstructionist do-nothing teabaggers.

(please log in to view the image)

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Last edited by focus4chumps on Jul 12th, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 12:19 PM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ascendancy

Originally posted by dadudemon
This is the most liberal/democratic (the party) website I have ever seen. The sheer amount of anti-GOP sentiment is hilarious.

This.

The repeal is actually another bill. They got the bill to pass in the house by a simple majority. The senate will not contain even a simple majority against the bill. The Senate is Dem-Heavy at the moment. Even with a few democrats siding with the GOP, it will not be enough to garner a simple majority. As you aptly point out, it would require a supermajority to override the inevitable veto from Obama's desk.

There are 53 dems and 47 republicans in the senate. There are 2 independents in the senate.

In 2009, the original vote was 60–39: 60 dems, 2 independents, and 1 republican for and 39 GOP against. I believe one GOP member didn't vote (it's been a while). 2/3s vote is the supermajority required, as outlined in Article 1, to override the presidential veto. That means 68 votes in favor of the repeal bill.

I want to see the bill repealed and a true universal healthcare system (or a single payer system) put in place. There are quite a few good things about AHCA (or PPACA). There are also quite a few bad things about it, too. Why do we have to settle for both? We shouldn't. To be honest...I think half to even most of the bad things about the bill are due to the GOP's meddling and the concessions the dems had to make to get it passed.

Agreed, but it takes both sides to negotiate and all I've seen in the past few years is Republicans refusing to come to the table in good faith.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 02:36 PM
Omega Vision

You don't visit many sites, do you?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 05:47 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Omega Vision
You don't visit many sites, do you?

I visit about 20-25 other sites on a regular basis. Generally, most people have a list of 10-30 sites they visit.

Many sites, like 4chan and Ebaumsworld, are far less Democratic (the party) than this site. This site is almost absurdly "left". Like....I have never observed such a leftist site on all of the interwebz. This thread just made me realize this.

Originally posted by Ascendancy
Agreed, but it takes both sides to negotiate and all I've seen in the past few years is Republicans refusing to come to the table in good faith.

Well, sometimes there are good Republicans and Dems that introduce some great bills.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 05:53 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

just to throw it out there, I'm right of center in Canada. Maybe this site just has a more global perspective?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 05:55 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Oliver North
just to throw it out there, I'm right of center in Canada. Maybe this site just has a more global perspective?

People do change, so I am not telling you what to believe but you did say stuff about being anarchist before. I may be rusty on my political philosophy but isn't that as far left as one can get (anarchy)?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 06:02 PM
Omega Vision

There are several regular and semi-regular Canuk posters here. Even Conservative Canadians tend to be closer to the Democrats than to Republicans on some issues.
I visit about 20-25 other sites on a regular basis. Generally, most people have a list of 10-30 sites they visit.

Many sites, like 4chan and Ebaumsworld, are far less Democratic (the party) than this site. This site is almost absurdly "left". Like....I have never observed such a leftist site on all of the interwebz. This thread just made me realize this.

Well, sometimes there are good Republicans and Dems that introduce some great bills.

I don't consider myself aligned to either party (though I'm registered as a Republican and I agree more often than not with democrats on principle) and neither party really impresses me.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 06:05 PM
tsilamini

People do change, so I am not telling you what to believe but you did say stuff about being anarchist before. I may be rusty on my political philosophy but isn't that as far left as one can get (anarchy)?

American anarchism tends to be more from the conservative school of thought, like an extreme form of anti-government libertarianism and against the collectivism that pervades left-anarchy. iirc it is the "Boston school" of anarchism.

EDIT: I also see political anarchy as more of an end point goal or in a constant state of transformation where we seek an efficient system that empowers individuals to not need the things the government provides. My policy opinions to major issues are, rarely, destroy the state. When discussing Canadian politics in a practical way, I tend to fall right of center.

Last edited by tsilamini on Jul 12th, 2012 at 06:22 PM

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 06:13 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Your new name sucks, Inimalist.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jul 12th, 2012 06:47 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote