KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What woulf the founding fathers think of the USA today

What woulf the founding fathers think of the USA today
Started by: Archaeopteryx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Archaeopteryx

What woulf the founding fathers think of the USA today

Discuss

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 09:58 PM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

"Is that the President's slave addressing congress right now, explaining that the President is running late?"

But seriously, the whole "what would the founding fathers think?" is a bullshit hypothetical that pundits and politicians use to try to lend ethos to their positions and to criticize policies and practices they disagree with.

We should understand that while the Founding Fathers had good ideas and made the country we live in today possible, their ideas are no longer practically relevant, and applying their political and economic and cultural principles to today's world would be disastrous.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Jul 26th, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 10:26 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably 'why did we even bother getting independence from Britain for these bunch of ****ing morons?'

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 10:29 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

You know the main reason they started the revolution was because of the Crown's Sugar taxes interfering with the American right to produce 64 oz sodas.

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 10:32 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I honestly think they would know better than to ask people who lived before the automobile what the best way to interpret the constitution in the modern era would be.

Think about it, imagine being woken up 200 years in the future and being asked what the best choices to make were. Don't you think you might look for someone a little more qualified?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2013 10:57 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
Probably 'why did we even bother getting independence from Britain for these bunch of ****ing morons?'

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 02:05 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

"This is HUGE! Guys look at this! HUGE! ****ing amazing!"

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 02:06 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Discombobulated.

Afraid.

Discorded.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 02:09 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

"holy shit i want beyonce...and a ferarri" -thomas jefferson

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 02:19 AM
focus4chumps is currently offline Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

What would Genghis Khan think of modern Mongolia? That's about as relevant a question.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 02:28 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Omega Vision
What would Genghis Khan think of modern Mongolia? That's about as relevant a question.

"This is TINY! Guys look at this! TINY! ****ing amazing!"

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2013 02:51 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Religiously torn asunder.

Psychologically disoriented, anxious to return to a world they understand.

This could be a legitimate episode in the Twilight Zone.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 04:20 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you were able to show them anything from modern America I'd show them Jersey Shore and Donald Trump and shout at them 'LOOK WHAT YOU DID. THIS IS YOUR FAULT.'

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 04:26 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Show them the moon landing. Tell 'em Jesus did it during his second coming. Blow their little Deist minds.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 06:03 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Oliver North
Think about it, imagine being woken up 200 years in the future and being asked what the best choices to make were.

Well, that would be a lot different than someone from 200 years ago waking up today. Mostly due to the acceleration and proliferation of technology. Waking up in this day and age can be learned and rather quickly. Some dude even wrote a book about it. We as humans can still adapt. But I don't think in 200 years we'll be able to just "adapt" to it: we'll need to be modified to just function in the world 200 years from now assuming no sort of technological singularity occurs or this conversation is even relevant.

Originally posted by Oliver North
Don't you think you might look for someone a little more qualified?

Nope. Their political philosophies are still relevant and useful. They'd need to spend a year or two studying history and law, of course. But their insight will still be interesting.

The notion that the "founding fathers" have no place in this modern world is, for me at least, and old and tired argument. I even find it dumb/idiotic.* To me, it is an argument from "new hotness vs. old and busted." Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Smart humans are smart humans no matter the decade: they didn't cease to be intelligent and educated humans, overnight.

I'm sure Ben Franklin would now how to use your Apple laptop better than you do after just a few short months.

*Many times I have heard and/or read that the old timers from 150-250 years ago are too out dated to be useful (and time and time again I read something from their time that seems more relevant today than ever). It is getting old to hear that argument. In fact, it is so frequently stated that I don't hardly hear or read "what would our founding fathers say regarding our current state?"

Originally posted by focus4chumps
"holy shit i want beyonce...and a ferarri" -thomas jefferson

You joke...but...

Last edited by dadudemon on Jul 28th, 2013 at 07:04 AM

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 07:00 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Thanks for clearing that up, Dadudemon.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 08:36 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sheldon

The founding fathers gave us a Republic, if we can keep it. Meaning the representatives will make some choices for us that we abide by and will allow the free market to trade within reason.

What they might be baffled by is how people allow themselves to be persuaded by Madison Ave and Hollywood values much to the expense of their health and well being.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 07:08 PM
Sheldon is currently offline Click here to Send Sheldon a Private Message Find more posts by Sheldon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i dont think they could have ever imagined their efforts would have grown into something so grand. I'm sure they would be proud and incredibly overwhelmed. In no way do i think they would be disappointed or concerned with the current state of the country. Yeah, we may not use our rights in this country and many citizens probably don't even know what their rights are and yes, politicians break and out right disregard those rights all the time but they are still there to be used. Those rights can still be exercised at any time.

Some of the simple things that the founding fathers or citizens of that time wanted to change would be nearly impossible or require war. Today an average citizen can change or pass a law by using the political system.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Jul 28th, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 07:24 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
i dont think they could have ever imagined their efforts would have grown into something so grand. I'm sure they would be proud and incredibly overwhelmed. In no way do i think they would be disappointed or concerned with the current state of the country. Yeah, we may not use our rights in this country and many citizens probably don't even know what their rights are and yes, politicians break and out right disregard those rights all the time but they are still there to be used. Those rights can still be exercised at any time.

Some of the simple things that the founding fathers or citizens of that time wanted to change would be nearly impossible or require war. Today an average citizen can change or pass a law by using the political system.
+

I think, once they got caught up on history and technology, they would be appalled at the Patriot Act and things similar to that.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 07:36 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by dadudemon
Smart humans are smart humans no matter the decade: they didn't cease to be intelligent and educated humans, overnight.

They very much ceased the be educated humans about 200 years ago.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2013 07:57 PM