KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » "Brown People"

"Brown People"
Started by: Dr Will Hatch

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr Will Hatch

"Brown People"

When did did this phrase start being used to refer to Latinos, Indians, Arabs, etc? It sounds very dumb and makes the impression that these people don't have wildly different histories and cultures. I can't remember it ever being used informally by people until just recently, like in the early or mid 2000s.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 04:47 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

When calling them ******* went out of style.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 05:08 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tzeentch
When calling them ******* went out of style.

laughing laughing laughing laughing

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 05:11 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
When did did this phrase start being used to refer to Latinos, Indians, Arabs, etc? It sounds very dumb and makes the impression that these people don't have wildly different histories and cultures. I can't remember it ever being used informally by people until just recently, like in the early or mid 2000s.

You are completely right that it is a racist term, that disregards the culture and history of the groups within it. I also think there's some truth to what Tzeentch said, albeit in a crass way, that explains somewhat why it seems to be a more recent phenomenon, in that only more recently Latino and Semitic people have entered the understanding of the American public as "the others", when before it more often were Black people in the US (and some other groups)

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 06:22 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

People actually use this term?

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 12:11 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Yes.

Brown people is more inclusive than exclusive, and often times the only groups that aren't covered under "brown people" are people of obvious Northern or Eastern European or East Asian heritage. Black people are generally but not always included under "brown people."

The rap group Das Racist made their vague "brown people" status one of their gimmicks, with rap lyric from Himanshu Suri stating "I don't know what these two are, but I'm Punjabi."

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 12:54 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

"Brown people" tends to be more accurate than 'Black people." I don't believe I've met someone I would say was closer to black than brown in skin color.

But for some reason it sounds pretty goofy though.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 01:17 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Re: "Brown People"

I'm curious...,have you ever referred to someone as being, white? Just because I don't care enough about you to ask what country your great ancestors hailed from doesn't mean that i'm a racist *******. Describing the color of someones skin should usually be interpreted as just that, a desription

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Apr 6th, 2014 at 04:21 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 04:19 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

Sounds like something similar to the way Indians were refered to.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 05:56 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote:

Dr Will Hatch wrote on Jan 26th, 2013 09:47 PM:
HI, I saw in the "How powerful would this person be?" thread that you said you write sci-fi stories.

Is there any place I can read them?

...and...

quote:

Dr Will Hatch wrote on Jan 27th, 2013 11:24 AM:
Hey, if I read fanfiction, how bad could your stuff be? wink

I'm always looking for new authors to get into, send the link man. I'll tell you what I think after I'm done.

Dr. Will Hatch, remember these PMs you sent me? You never did what you said you would, even after I sent you a second PM asking what you thought. Even if you hated the story, the proper thing was to follow up on your word.

For shame, sir. For shame.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 06:06 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Oh crap. I'm a jerkass, Mindship. And a lazy one, which is even worse. sad

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 06:22 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Nephthys
"Brown people" tends to be more accurate than 'Black people." I don't believe I've met someone I would say was closer to black than brown in skin color.

But for some reason it sounds pretty goofy though.

I don't know, some of us black folk are pretty dark

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 06:30 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Yeah, I make Wesley Snipes look like Powder.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 09:20 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Well yeah, I said tends to.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 09:31 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

http://youtu.be/GeZ3nCXyb_Q

I blame George Carlin.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 09:59 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

I think the problem with blanket terms is that they tend to lead to generalisations. Therefore, I recommend that we just skip them and develop an ethnicity bar code system.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 10:04 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
I think the problem with blanket terms is that they tend to lead to generalisations. Therefore, I recommend that we just skip them and develop an ethnicity bar code system.

That might be helpful but I think developing a thicker skin would be a better start

Old Post Apr 7th, 2014 01:28 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Re: Re: "Brown People"

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I'm curious...,have you ever referred to someone as being, white? Just because I don't care enough about you to ask what country your great ancestors hailed from doesn't mean that i'm a racist *******. Describing the color of someones skin should usually be interpreted as just that, a desription

Yeah, you can refer to a white guy as a white guy if you have no frame of reference, but there's more to it than that. An Irish dude and a Greek dude come from vastly different backgrounds, and overall look very different. Likewise, an Arab dude looks very different from and comes from a vastly different culture than a Mexican guy. But both are referred to as "brown people". It's annoying is all.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2014 01:29 AM
NemeBro

I can't tell Mexicans apart from Puerto Ricans.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2014 01:50 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Oh crap. I'm a jerkass, Mindship. And a lazy one, which is even worse. sad
It surprised me, more than anything. Eh, fuhgeddaboudit.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2014 02:13 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote