KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Indiana legislation allows discrimination against homosexuals

Indiana legislation allows discrimination against homosexuals
Started by: Lestov16

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Indiana legislation allows discrimination against homosexuals

Apparently the Indiana state government is implementing a "Religious Freedom Act" which can be used by businesses and others in the state to discriminate against gays. There has been massive protests and boycotts across the nation to this law.

Here is some more info :http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...diana/70633532/

What do you think, does Indiana have the right to discriminate, are things just being blown out of proportion, or is Indiana just a state of bigoted scumbags?

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:11 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

This country is regressing nicely. thumb up

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:16 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Nuke Indiana and problem solved.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:36 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I feel like the guys who passed this law are going to scramble to change the wording once they realize that the law would allow Muslim business owners to apply Islamic rules to their businesses. Maybe then they'll be forced to spell it out that this is a Pro-Christian law and nothing at all like "religious freedom"

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 01:30 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Reflassshh
Nuke Indiana and problem solved.

Agreed, send em

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 01:35 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Haters gonna hate.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I feel like the guys who passed this law are going to scramble to change the wording once they realize that the law would allow Muslim business owners to apply Islamic rules to their businesses. Maybe then they'll be forced to spell it out that this is a Pro-Christian law and nothing at all like "religious freedom"
Oh snap.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 01:51 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I'd lol pretty hard when I read this. This getting attention is probably a best-case scenario for the situation.

Moral issues aside, with this move Pence is going to force out all kinds of events that bring tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars of income each year to the state. I've already heard of several major trade shows and conventions that are either planning on or are looking into leaving as a result.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 03:17 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Originally posted by Mindset
This country is regressing nicely. thumb up

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 03:58 AM
|King Joker| is currently offline Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

Honestly I kinda support this,

Free markets will weed out bigots, and you should be free to express yourself anyway you want, but you deal with the backlash.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 07:39 AM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by Henry_Pym

Free markets will weed out bigots, and you should be free to express yourself anyway you want, but you deal with the backlash.

Why in your opinion was this law needed?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:50 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

I love americans.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 12:57 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

The best one is when conservatives say "vote with your dollars."

As opposed to...voting with your votes?

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 01:09 PM
riv6672

Originally posted by krisblaze
I love americans.

Doesnt seem that way.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 01:09 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Except it doesn't work like you think. After a similarly homophobic announcement, Chik-Fil-A sales actually went up considerably. There's that old adage about any attention being good attention. And while that doesn't always hold true, there are some unfortunate cases where it does.

Since this is a different case, though, there's a chance you're right. But even then, 'weeding out bigots' is just going to be a positive spin on 'hurting the Indiana economy.' So I'm not sure there's a whole lot of positives to get out of this. With bills legalizing gay marriage and the like, any positive we perceive in a bill like this is going to be tangential to the regression it ultimately represents.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 02:46 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/..._n_6969684.html

Glad my parents voted for him, lol.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 07:02 PM
|King Joker| is currently offline Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Trying to figure out what was the stated reasoning, considering we have the First Amendment and the 1993 RFRA already in place.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 07:52 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by krisblaze
I love americans.
Quiet your face, scumbag.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 07:56 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by Digi
... it doesn't work like you think. After a similarly homophobic announcement, Chik-Fil-A sales actually went up considerably.

The definition of "homophobic" may be looser than I thought if you're characterizing Dan Cathy's statements as such.

(From Wikipedia)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan Cathy statements
On June 16, 2012, while on the syndicated radio talk show, The Ken Coleman Show, Chick-fil-A president and chief operating officer (COO) Dan Cathy stated:

I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, "We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage". I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.

The following month, on July 2, Biblical Recorder published an interview with Dan Cathy, who was asked about opposition to his company's "support of the traditional family." He replied: "Well, guilty as charged." Cathy continued:

"We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.

"We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The day after the Supreme Court of the United States struck down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, Cathy tweeted, "Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies." The tweet was subsequently deleted, but was archived by Topsy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 09:21 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Henry_Pym
Ultron Bound

its just to help with the inevitable law suits. First amendment v crybaby is effectively clogging the systems. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's the truth.
The best one is when conservatives say "vote with your dollars."

As opposed to...voting with your votes?
Dollars make more of an impact...
Originally posted by Digi
Except it doesn't work like you think. After a similarly homophobic announcement, Chik-Fil-A sales actually went up considerably. There's that old adage about any attention being good attention. And while that doesn't always hold true, there are some unfortunate cases where it does.

Since this is a different case, though, there's a chance you're right. But even then, 'weeding out bigots' is just going to be a positive spin on 'hurting the Indiana economy.' So I'm not sure there's a whole lot of positives to get out of this. With bills legalizing gay marriage and the like, any positive we perceive in a bill like this is going to be tangential to the regression it ultimately represents.
here is my very stripped down reasoning.

If you were gay, would you want to force an anti gay person to bake your cake?
///
Just for reference I'm very pro gay marriage and atheist. BUT I'm very anti forced relationship and support "the right to not serve" rules

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 09:27 PM
Henry_Pym is currently offline Click here to Send Henry_Pym a Private Message Find more posts by Henry_Pym Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Just for reference I'm very pro gay marriage and atheist. BUT I'm very anti forced relationship and support "the right to not serve" rules

So in your opinion it should be legal for businesses to have something like "No dogs or Blacks allowed"?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 30th, 2015 09:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote