KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Women Fail Army Ranger Course

Women Fail Army Ranger Course
Started by: |King Joker|

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

Women Fail Army Ranger Course

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...women/28179303/

So 8 women failed the Army Ranger course -- 5 left and 3 are going to start over. Some people are asking themselves if the standard should be lowered or if women are fit to serve in combat roles. What does this mean in your opinion?

Old Post May 31st, 2015 03:56 PM
|King Joker| is currently offline Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Standards should not be lowered, should be the same test/requirements for everyone.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 31st, 2015 03:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

It means that women are going to have a tough time getting through this course, more so then men.

Probably not a good role for women in the military.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 03:59 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Depends on the standards. We cannot immediately connect all standards 1-1 to someone;s ability to do their job.

Some things tested on courses like this don't relate directly to the job but are trying to gauge a relative level of fitness. That's the sort of standard that should definitely be adjusted for women, because they might be, practically speaking, more fit than some men that pass it but still fail the standard because it is mis-calibrated for them.

You end up throwing out people that might be better at the job than people you are keeping in.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 31st, 2015 04:10 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Women Fail Army Ranger Course

quote: (post)
Originally posted by |King Joker|

So 8 women failed the Army Ranger course -- 5 left and 3 are going to start over. Some people are asking themselves if the standard should be lowered or if women are fit to serve in combat roles. What does this mean in your opinion?

I know lots of people are going to give me flak for this and perhaps even ignorantly call me a sexist but, imho, women have no place in any kind of combat role. Especially not in any special forces like Rangers or SEALs.

Let the flaming begin. Won't change my opinion, regardless.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 04:24 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Depends on the standards. We cannot immediately connect all standards 1-1 to someone;s ability to do their job.

Some things tested on courses like this don't relate directly to the job but are trying to gauge a relative level of fitness. That's the sort of standard that should definitely be adjusted for women, because they might be, practically speaking, more fit than some men that pass it but still fail the standard because it is mis-calibrated for them.

You end up throwing out people that might be better at the job than people you are keeping in.

Fitness is only one aspect of the training though and this isn't the first type of program women miss out on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...0f19_story.html

The USMC infantry course isn't even a "special" operations unit. There are women in roles where they do engage in combat however that isn't their primary job.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 05:46 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Robtard
Standards should not be lowered, should be the same test/requirements for everyone.

I agree with the second part. The first part is the question.

I agree with Ush, we need to look at standards and test and see if they actually get us what we need. It's perfectly possible, that the test as it is designed excludes people based on inflated fitness requirements who bring skills that would be much more useful in the actual job.

Originally posted by Star428
I know lots of people are going to give me flak for this and perhaps even ignorantly call me a sexist but, imho, women have no place in any kind of combat role. Especially not in any special forces like Rangers or SEALs.

Let the flaming begin. Won't change my opinion, regardless.

You're sexist.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 05:50 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nah, you don't lower the requirements. Women love to talk about equality, right? They can't have it both ways, and only ask for it when they benefit. Sorry ladies, complete the same tests as everyone else.

If you want to talk about changing tests to more accurately reflect what the job requires, sure fine, as long as those changes are done across the board.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 06:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Speaking as a former Infantryman of the United States Army, requirements should NOT be lowered, altered, or made to "be equal" in any way shape or form.

I'm not a misogynist and I never have been, but I will state that women don't belong in a combat occupational specialty in any branch of the military.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 31st, 2015 06:57 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Surtur
Nah, you don't lower the requirements. Women love to talk about equality, right? They can't have it both ways, and only ask for it when they benefit. Sorry ladies, complete the same tests as everyone else.

If you want to talk about changing tests to more accurately reflect what the job requires, sure fine, as long as those changes are done across the board.

The issue is that these tests may be myopic because they were designed by men for men. The ramifications of that are hard to assess. I agree with you that the test should be equal, that is, if the fitness standard is lowered, it should be lowered for men as well.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 06:59 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42

You're sexist.

You obviously don't understand, men can't handle seeing women die in combat. Has nothing to do with sexism. Ignorant and clueless you are.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 06:59 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
You obviously don't understand, men can't handle seeing women die in combat. Has nothing to do with sexism. Ignorant and clueless you are.

Seems like an issue men have, perhaps they shouldn't work in combat roles, if they can't deal with that.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:00 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Seems like an issue men have, perhaps they shouldn't work in combat roles, if they can't deal with that.

Speaking of which you have what have more experience in, combat and seeing women die, or dating teenage women?

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:01 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

IMO, it's not about men seeing women die. I've seen people of both sexes die and I was equally affected when it occurred.

Speaking in terms of biology and evolution, men are larger, stronger, and taller than women (for the most part). A 5'4" woman who weighs 150 pounds would probably have a very hard time picking up a wounded man who weighs 250 pounds and is 6'3" while in combat, under fire, and trying to get that man to safety.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:04 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most def.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:06 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Impediment
IMO, it's not about men seeing women die. I've seen people of both sexes die and I was equally affected when it occurred.

Speaking in terms of biology and evolution, men are larger, stronger, and taller than women (for the most part). A 5'4" woman who weighs 150 pounds would probably have a very hard time picking up a wounded man who weighs 250 pounds and is 6'3" while in combat, under fire, and trying to get that man to safety.

Yeah, obviously there need to be some fitness requirements for that job. Perhaps they don't need to be as high as they currently are. And if a woman can pass them, they should have the chance to work in that position. I mean there are armies that have women in combat roles already, it's not that big of a deal.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:06 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Impediment

I personally would be fine with having it so the physical exception regarding women are the only ones that can get in. Allowing them but keeping so that as you said, only the ones who can easily do things you mention can get in roles that require it.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:07 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, obviously there need to be some fitness requirements for that job. Perhaps they don't need to be as high as they currently are. And if a woman can pass them, they should have the chance to work in that position. I mean there are armies that have women in combat roles already, it's not that big of a deal.

Clearly you didn't read op.. Mr. Pedo..

They didnt didn't pass them.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:07 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Clearly you didn't read op.. Mr. Pedo..

They didnt didn't pass them.

Hence why I said "Perhaps they don't need to be as high as they currently are".

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:08 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hence why I said "Perhaps they don't need to be as high as they currently are".

So you want to lower standards for women but then want things to be equal across the board? Sounds like you are sexist.

Won't work Mr. Pedo.

Old Post May 31st, 2015 07:09 PM