KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » New Study Claims the Ocean is Running out of Fish

New Study Claims the Ocean is Running out of Fish
Started by: Tzeentch

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

New Study Claims the Ocean is Running out of Fish

quote:
The global catch of fish and seafood is falling at three times the rate reported by the United Nations and urgently needs to be slowed to avoid a crash, reports Christopher Pala. The finding comes in a new study for Nature which quantifies the huge illegal industrial fish pillaging taking place around the world, together with artisanal catches, which in 2010 added over 50% to UN estimates.

http://www.theecologist.org/News/ne...al_figures.html

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 06:44 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Hurray for fish farms, I guess?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 08:20 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

That's not news, people warned about that for at least a decade

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 11:30 AM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I talked about this years ago, Fukashima has killed all the fish.

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 02:51 PM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
I talked about this years ago, Fukashima has killed all the fish.

is there any real evidence that the Fukashima disaster is responsible for this versus overfishing?

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 03:13 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ur kidding right?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 03:21 PM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Since it's a global problem, your claim is void unless you actually believe fukushima has irradiated the waters of the entire world, which is laughable. Especially considering that there were several nuke tests in places like the bikini-atoll (67 tests since 1945) and other places.

The planet is simply too full, more people => more fish consumption => more fishing => less fish.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 03:39 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Or something killed all the fish. Like a nuclear disaster in the ocean that has not been stopped.

http://enenews.com/category/location/japan

I know its hard for people here to accept the Fukishima disaster. Usually for the slow ones.

Last edited by Time-Immemorial on Jan 20th, 2016 at 03:44 PM

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 03:42 PM
Bardock42

You really don't think overfishing (as the study states) is a problem?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 04:16 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Do you even watch your own videos? These tunas were still fished by fishermen, they weren't washed on the coast dead in masses or something, plus the vid says while there is a 10x higher radiation level than normal it's still nothing to be alarmed about. For your info everything sends out radiation that's normal for pretty much everything on the planet because of isotopes so 10x natural radiation is next to nothing.

And nobody argued that fukushima was a desaster, I wouldn't even doubt that in the sea area around fukushima you actually have dangerous levels of radiation in the local fish population but it's far away from being the cause for the entire worlds fish population to decrease...

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 04:17 PM
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interesting.

So the oil companies do their best to cover up their dirty deeds, and what you think the nuclear ones are any different.

Do some research on Fukashima.

Its like people here have no clue..nuclear disasters are the worst things there is. Not only was this the worst, it still is dumping 500 tons of highly irradiated water into the ocean every day. If you think that is small fries, think again, this has been going on for years now.

Also I bet you didn't read this.

http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1212/ML12122A949.pdf

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 04:32 PM
snowdragon

We are TERRIBLE stewards of planet earth.

I'm sure pollution has had an impact animal life however we over fish and find more efficient ways to slaughter sea life with no regard to our future other then a few $$.

This is one of the reasons I laugh at global warming, we will kill ourselves by pollution FAR faster then having climate change significantly impact our existance.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 04:40 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love how whenever anyone talks about a nuclear coverup, its denied by the same people that are against oil and global warming. laughing out loud

Everyone here that has posted against saying nothing is going on are the same tree hugging liberals that say climate change and global warming are real issues. Funny they deny the worst of them all.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 04:42 PM
Bardock42

I love how whenever anyone talks about a nuclear coverup, its denied by the same people that are against oil and global warming. laughing out loud

Everyone here that has posted against saying nothing is going on are the same tree hugging liberals that say climate change and global warming are real issues. Funny they deny the worst of them all.
That's not what's happening. We all think Fukushima was terrible, and the Japanese government and the company ****ed up and tried to hide a lot. But you take a different, and very important environmental issue and pretend its down to Fukushima, when really there are much bigger factors, and that's just a bad thing do.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 04:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

This reminds me of Ted Danson *that guy from the Cheers TV show* telling us that the oceans would be completely dead by the mid 90's and having full Liberal Science to back it up.

No. I aint linking. Google it your damn self.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 05:50 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Ur kidding right?

No, but I'm hoping that you are.

How is some 1950s scifi movie plot conspiracy theory more plausible than overfishing being the root cause of fish depletion?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 05:58 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yea yea. Fossils fuels are bad for the environment but tons of radiation is good for it.

Better idea since it's humanity's fault for both, why are we always trying to keep people from dying?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 06:02 PM
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

Originally posted by Flyattractor
This reminds me of Ted Danson *that guy from the Cheers TV show* telling us that the oceans would be completely dead by the mid 90's and having full Liberal Science to back it up.

No. I aint linking. Google it your damn self.
Just admit it, you just don't have wifi in your red pick up truck in alabama.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 06:03 PM
Omega Vision

Yea yea. Fossils fuels are bad for the environment but tons of radiation is good for it.

Better idea since it's humanity's fault for both, why are we always trying to keep people from dying?

What? No one's saying radiation is good. We're just all saying there's no reason to think that radiation is the main (or even a major) cause of the decline of fish populations, and that with regards to that problem overfishing is the great danger.

Try to recognize what people are telling you instead of rambling past it.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 06:07 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Parmaniac
Just admit it, you just don't have wifi in your red pick up truck in alabama.

I would reply to this but My Red State Wifi is telling me this is full of BlueState Crap and that I shouldn't read it.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2016 06:12 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote