KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings
Started by: Darth Daft

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Daft

Lord of the Rings

Anyone read the whole trilogy? I'm just approaching the end of the first book. You can see the trailer for the film at www.real.com It's pretty cool!

Old Post Mar 31st, 2001 04:57 AM
Darth Daft is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Daft a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Daft Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yeah, read the lot. Jury is still out on how the film will be, but it's certainly got the look...

The major problem with doing the films as far as I can see, is they have to do the third, Return of th King. Now don't get me wrong, it's a great (if not entirely unsurprising) end to the story... but then it keeps going. Far too long.

That was LOTR's only failing (aside from the slow start that puts off the casual reader); old Tolkien just didn't know when to stop.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 31st, 2001 05:08 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

I haven't read it, but I've heard only good things about it.
I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2001 05:12 AM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Me too. I saw a preview, and it looks pretty sweet (as in cool, obviously).

Old Post Mar 31st, 2001 08:37 PM
jedi212guy is currently offline Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It just keeps going, and going, and going... actually, it probably won't be a problem. If you did a literal conversion of book to film, each film would be some 6 hours long. They have to hack large bits out as it is; so probably the entire last half of ROTK will be a five minute epilogue anyway. For once, film-making necessity proves to be a bonus...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 31st, 2001 08:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I read the hobbit, but not the LOTR...but I'll probably go see the movie. Thanks for the link, DD ! Miss ya, man !!! smile

Old Post Mar 31st, 2001 11:45 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote