KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Saudi Arabia Lifts Female Driver Ban

Saudi Arabia Lifts Female Driver Ban
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Saudi Arabia Lifts Female Driver Ban

Old Post Sep 26th, 2017 11:56 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

SA's a pile of crap, but this is a good step forward, if only in babysteps.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:29 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

next week: mandatory autonomous vehicle law

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:36 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loudlaughing out loud

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:40 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Political correctness gone mad I tells thee.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:56 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bashs joke was perfect tho

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:57 AM
vansonbee
Isee

Saudi Arabia wants more women in the workplace, by allowing them to drive, they can save time and money on relying a male relative to take them there.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 02:46 AM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
SA's a pile of crap, but this is a good step forward, if only in babysteps.

Indeed, but why isn't Iran viewed in the same way then?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 02:49 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Sable
Indeed, but why isn't Iran viewed in the same way then?

Can iranian women drive?

In my opinion people in the US have an even worse conception of Iran than they do of Saudi Arabia, but hostility goes both ways for the most part.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 11:31 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:36 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Yeah I mean sure this is great and all, but it'll take a lot more than this to make women's lives in most Middle-Eastern countries being even close to that of what a human being deserves

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 12:54 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
Yeah I mean sure this is great and all, but it'll take a lot more than this to make women's lives in most Middle-Eastern countries being even close to that of what a human being deserves

Yeah, this is sort of like a win/lose situation here. It's good for the women, but it's also a losing situation in that we're celebrating something as simple as women being able to drive a car lol.

You get stuff like this from the article and it's depressing:

“I’ve said this to the Saudis many times: You really want to improve your image? There’s one simple thing to do: Let women drive cars,” former CIA analyst Bruce Riedel told HuffPost last year. “I understand that’s easier said than done.”

Eh lol. I just hope this wasn't done because SA was under the impression essentially all the other horrible things going on there would be ignored for a while.

Also it doesn't begin until June, so there is 8 months for this to change, though I hope it doesn't.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

8 months? Why don't they just let them start ****ing driving?

Also yeah, I bet SA are mostly doing this just to improve their public image. That way less people will protest when the US and UK keep selling them arms.

Is there much hope for the Middle East in the near future? Unlikely. The most progressive nation out of the bunch is Israel, who have a host of their own human rights issues and in many ways operate as a terrorist state. But, shit, at least women can wear what they like and have a sense of equality.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:10 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am all for them doing this, I just wish some had not pitched it to them as "here is one simple way to improve your image". It's like telling Al Capone nobody will care what he does if he donates some turkeys to the homeless on Thanksgiving.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

8 months? Why don't they just let them start ****ing driving?

Also yeah, I bet SA are mostly doing this just to improve their public image. That way less people will protest when the US and UK keep selling them arms.

Is there much hope for the Middle East in the near future? Unlikely. The most progressive nation out of the bunch is Israel, who have a host of their own human rights issues and in many ways operate as a terrorist state. But, shit, at least women can wear what they like and have a sense of equality.

They also essentially ignore a booming slave trade, Israel.

But yeah, sadly they're one of the best we've got in terms of rights.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:16 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by vansonbee
Saudi Arabia wants more women in the workplace, by allowing them to drive, they can save time and money on relying a male relative to take them there.
Actually it's more about reducing the amount of foreign drivers and ties in with vision 2030. Which is about reducing expats. Unemployment for young Saudi's is very high at the moment.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:16 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by cdtm
They also essentially ignore a booming slave trade, Israel.

But yeah, sadly they're one of the best we've got in terms of rights.
The fact that Israel is one of the best we've got really says it all, tbh.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 01:27 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Good development

Disagreed.

Women experience good (or) bad lifestyle almost everywhere.

Every women doesn't want to drive, specially in high-traffic regions; these may hire a driver or prefer a male companion (with driving experience) to drive for them. However, lifting of this ban will help those women who [want to] drive, so a step in the right direction for them.

It is foolish to generalize about 'what is good for women' based on your experiences/perceptions alone.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Sep 27th, 2017 at 03:11 PM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:03 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Good development

Disagreed.

Women experience good (or) bad lifestyle almost everywhere.

Every women doesn't want to drive, specially in high-traffic regions; these may hire a driver or prefer a male companion (with driving experience) to drive for them. However, lifting of this ban will help those women who [want to] drive, so a step in the right direction for them.

It is foolish to generalize about 'what is good for women' based on your experiences/perceptions alone.

The lifestyles they lead in some muslim majority countries tend to be monumentally more awful than anything in western civilization.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:14 PM
Scribble

Yeah, just because I like to wear what I want to wear and marry who I want to marry, who's to say every Middle-Eastern woman wants the same? Yeesh, I really should think about these things more.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 03:16 PM