KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Sound and Read familiar?The alt-rights-newest-ploy-trolling-false-symbols

Sound and Read familiar?The alt-rights-newest-ploy-trolling-false-symbols
Started by: Steve Zodiac

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sound and Read familiar?The alt-rights-newest-ploy-trolling-false-symbols

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/alt-r...-false-symbols/

These master baiters represent the so-called alt-right, the meme-fluent arm of American white nationalism. Even as their memes morph into militaristic propaganda, this loosely organized troll army inhabiting extremist corners of social media, 4chan, and Reddit has adopted a new tactic: claiming mundane objects like milk, the peace symbol, and the LGBTQ flag as symbols of white supremacy. Every reappropriation provides another reminder that a troll’s greatest strength lies in weaponizing your anger.

This goes beyond sowing irritation and confusion among “normies” and “snowflakes.” The alt-right is attempting to normalize itself and its ideas. If anybody who drinks milk might be a Nazi, the idea of someone being a Nazi starts looking more pedestrian.

Fighting Osteoporosis and Progress
Conspiracy theorists always see secret symbols and gestures. President Obama and Women’s March organizer Linda Sarsour regularly make the one-finger ISIS salute. Beyoncé’s hand gestures announce her membership in the Illuminati. But the alt-right turned this upside down, then inside out: Rather than accuse other people of secretly communicating an evil agenda, seed the idea that you’re doing it.

It looks like this started in February, when users on 4chan, using an image lifted from a 2013 Nature article about lactose intolerance, seized on the idea that Northern European adults have no trouble with lactose. From there, it was but a short hop to some racist poetry and the idea of making milk a symbol for whiteness. A couple of weeks later, neo-Nazis drank milk while trolling Shia LaBeouf’s anti-Trump performance art piece, He Will Not Divide Us. The media took it from there.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:44 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

What % of the population do you think uses 4chan, secondly most of Twitter is liberal.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:45 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sable
What % of the population do you think uses 4chan, secondly most of Twitter is liberal.
Stats please and a peer-reviewed study if you have it.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:48 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Based on r/pol compared to r/Donald and other miscellaneous forum on Reddit. It's clear the ideology lies left of center. It's easy to just look at where most of the activity is between the forums.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:49 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Based on r/pol compared to r/Donald and other miscellaneous forum on Reddit. It's clear the ideology lies left of center. It's easy to just look at where most of the activity is between the forums.
Do you have stats? and that's actually not what the article is about, it's about shifting the Overton window and normalising the abhorrent.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:51 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't have stats. But it's clear based on activity, linked news sources, the ideology in r/pol is hard left. And it's millions of users.

Trying to say it isn't hard left is like trying to say I'm far left.

As far as the Nazis, it's like .003% of the population and no one was talking about Nazis and WS a year ago. It's not like this is a recent phenomenon where Nazis are springing up erywhere. You must know that.

Last edited by Sable on Sep 30th, 2017 at 05:55 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:53 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't have stats. But it's clear based on activity, linked news sources, the ideology in r/pol is hard left. And it's millions of users.

Trying to say it isn't hard left is like trying to say I'm far left.

That's not what the article is about, it's about shifting the Overton window and normalising the abhorrent using the internet.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:55 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

I edited.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:55 PM
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't have stats.

That's fine, then you can't post percentages.

It's not what the article is about anyway, it's about shifting the Overton window and normalising the abhorrent through the misappropriation and association of benign symbolism.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 05:59 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok I read it , I understand you hate the Alt Right. They are just as much of a bunch of idiots and Antifa. The alt right regardless of what the media says is a small % of this country . I suspect the same goes for them in England.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 06:29 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ok I read it , I understand you hate the Alt Right. They are just as much of a bunch of idiots and Antifa. The alt right regardless of what the media says is a small % of this country . I suspect the same goes for them in England.

Bingo.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 06:42 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

You don't have stats or percentages, just an opinion.

Antifa is not mentioned in the article at all.

Percentages are not what the article is about anyway, it's about shifting the Overton window and normalising the abhorrent through the misappropriation and association of benign symbolism.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac on Sep 30th, 2017 at 07:25 PM

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 07:15 PM
Flyattractor

Lol...Stevie's obsession with Stats and Percentages is hilarious

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 08:55 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

As long as dipshits will keep falling for it, the trolls will keep doing it. Remember how they got some people to believe that the OK symbol is a white supremacist gesture? It's pure lulz to the 4channers and I can't even completely blame them.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2017 09:57 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote