KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Libertarian

Libertarian
Started by: Raisen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Raisen

Libertarian

Who considers themselves as more of a libertarian?

What pros and cons do people see with these political views?

I for the most part like Ron Paul's take on libertarianism

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 09:15 PM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I consider myself as a true center. I should say, the "political spectrum" tests I have taken put me as very close to as center as possible.

With a very slight libertarian lean.

I do not consider myself libertarian, just libertarian leaning on some topics.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 02:00 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
I consider myself as a true center. I should say, the "political spectrum" tests I have taken put me as very close to as center as possible.

With a very slight libertarian lean.

I do not consider myself libertarian, just libertarian leaning on some topics.

thanks bro. I just hope libertarian is a viable option in the future

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 02:02 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I could call myself libertarian economically, in the way that was popularized by Milton Friedman, among other notable economists. The central idea being that individual economic freedom equates to personal freedom as a whole. This idea then works its way up to ideas about decentralized government (more states rights), small gov't in general (beyond basic infrastructure and protections of civil liberties), while protecting against monopolies and providing enough welfare for the poor that they can afford basic necessities and participate in the free market, but not much beyond that.

So to me it depends on what you mean by the term. I consider the above paragraph to be necessary when I use the term, because it has come to mean very different things to people. The modern libertarian party is ostensibly for what I described, but it occasionally comes packaged with a social agenda that I can't ascribe to.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 6th, 2017 at 02:12 AM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 02:08 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm a "classical liberal"

the slightest bit right and above center.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 10:06 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RHaggis
The Jammy Bastard

Ancapistan.jpeg

Privatise the roads! smokin'

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:08 PM
RHaggis is currently offline Click here to Send RHaggis a Private Message Find more posts by RHaggis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Used to be, but I'm a little more left-leaning economically these days.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:24 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

I like some of the ideas that it entails, but from what I've seen a lot of Libertarians are self-centred and selfish psychopaths who hold little to no regard for the people their 'ultimate freedom' ends up hurting. Good in concept, probably not very good in practice, but to be fair, that goes for almost every political ideology.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:27 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Originally posted by Scribble
I like some of the ideas that it entails, but from what I've seen a lot of Libertarians are self-centred and selfish psychopaths who hold little to no regard for the people their 'ultimate freedom' ends up hurting. Good in concept, probably not very good in practice, but to be fair, that goes for almost every political ideology.

so the feels

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:40 PM
Scribble

It's not about feelings, although I do consider emotions to be an important aspect of humanity (they're fun, try them some time, you might like it), it's more the idea itself of a form of minimal government being ran by people entirely devoid of emotion that I dislike. I think it should be clear that it's impossible to truly trust someone who doesn't have any empathy or regard for human beings; they'll **** you over in a heartbeat for their own personal gain.

I mean, the idea of mocking someone for having feelings is a surreal and scary enough concept as it is, let alone the kind of people who do that having power over you.

Although it has given me a good idea for a dystopian story. It'll open in a cafe, and there's a man sitting in a booth, drinking a cup of coffee and smiling to himself. Two surly men, who later turn out to be secret police, walk over to him and say, "Well, well, well, what have we got here - a feeler."

Last edited by Scribble on Oct 6th, 2017 at 03:47 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:44 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

(please log in to view the image)

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:45 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Originally posted by Scribble
It's not about feelings, although I do consider emotions to be an important aspect of humanity (they're fun, try them some time, you might like it), it's more the idea itself of a form of minimal government being ran by people entirely devoid of emotion that I dislike. I think it should be clear that it's impossible to truly trust someone who doesn't have any empathy or regard for human beings; they'll **** you over in a heartbeat for their own personal gain.

I mean, the idea of mocking someone for having feelings is a surreal and scary enough concept as it is, let alone the kind of people who do that having power over you.

Although it has given me a good idea for a dystopian story. It'll open in a cafe, and there's a man sitting in a booth, drinking a cup of coffee and smiling to himself. Two surly men, who later turn out to be secret police, walk over to him and say, "Well, well, well, what have we got here - a feeler."

women are the ones with emotions dude. as a man, one of our greatest assets is the ability to separate emotions from what needs to be done.

you just wrote a huge paragraph full of feels. it's unnecessary

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:04 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Raisen
women are the ones with emotions dude. as a man, one of our greatest assets is the ability to separate emotions from what needs to be done.

you just wrote a huge paragraph full of feels. it's unnecessary

Yep.

Rationality requires discipline and critical thinking. Emotions are Neanderthalian and shared among many organisms, unlike logicality.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:16 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Originally posted by Kurk
Yep.

Rationality requires discipline and critical thinking. Emotions are Neanderthalian and shared among many organisms, unlike logicality.

and it's these feels that lead men to do stupid and irrational things. and women are naturally turned off by emotional men. they are viewed as feminine.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:18 PM
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I have a lot of respect for libertarianism, but I consider myself more of a centrist classical liberal, and I will remain a classical liberal even regardless of if I shift left or right in the future, because there are some things in progressivism I can actually respect (such as legalizing gay marriage), aspects of conservatism I find myself agreement such as the significance of certain traditions such as the constitution and marriage and the importance of the social fabric, and certain aspects and practices of libertarianism such as the government not regulating my social life, however regardless of how far left or right I am my perspective will always be informed through the lens of upholding liberal principles and values, rather than through the lens of social equality, traditionalism, or the point of view that the government needs to be as minimized as possible

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:21 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

I'll pass. I'd rather live an emotional and disordered life than a more successful one devoid of emotion. Where's the point succeeding if you won't be happy to enjoy it? Seems pretty shit to me, but you guys do you.

Also, logic is omnipresent in the animal world, and emotions aren't universal, so sorry Kurk, you're dead wrong there. Being logical is easy. Being emotional is easy. Being both and balancing both, now there's a challenge.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:23 PM
Raisen

happiness comes with not giving way to other emotions broseph. you're complicating things. this is how people get to the point of thinking they are trans-racial homosexual females stuck in a man's body.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:25 PM
Scribble

I like things complicated. Keeps it interesting. I use my emotions to succeed, through forms of art. Without my emotions, all of them, I wouldn't have made it this far. Not accepting your 'weak' emotions works for you, great. You like to bang vacuous women, great. It's not for me, though. I prefer concentrating on my work to going out and getting laid, so I prefer sex in the context of a stable relationship.

People are different, man. They have different lives and different experiences and like different things. Shock horror.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:31 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Depends on what form of libertarianism we're talking about here. Classical liberalism(which is a form of libertarianism) is just fine and dandy. Ancap, on the other hand, is insane.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:33 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

people are different. you are more effeminate of a man. that's just the way it is. I'm not trying to insult you either

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:33 PM