KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Any martial arts enthusiasts here?

Which type of martial arts do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Striking martial arts 7 87.50%
Grappling martial arts 0 0%
MMA 1 12.50%
Neither 0 0%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Any martial arts enthusiasts here?
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Any martial arts enthusiasts here?

I myself like martial arts. Maybe not necessarily as an avid fan who watches every fight of my favourite fighter, but as a mean to have a well-conditioned and healthy body.

So, anyone here likes martial arts? If yes, for what reasons? If no, why?

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:37 AM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have boxed from 12 and done Muay Thai from 19. I have dabbled in other things but they are the two I enjoy.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:41 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Cool. I did boxing too. Possibly the best all-around work-out I have ever tried.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:44 AM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stigma
Cool. I did boxing too. Possibly the best all-around work-out I have ever tried.
It is, it's a lot more fun than just going to a gym for aesthetic reasons and it teaches co-ordination like almost nothing else. Also after you have been punched in the face a few times you do lose your fear of being punched in the face to a point.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:46 AM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

^ Exactly.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:51 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
...after you have been punched in the face a few times you do lose your fear of being punched in the face to a point.

^^^Agreed. My dad broke me of that fear by the time i was 7.

Anyway, boxing, wrestling, combatives here.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 11:52 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Mostly Taekwondo, Judo and karate.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 12:12 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Tae kwon do, kwon bup, aikido, boxing. Not an expert in any of them, but have had training (in some more than others).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 12:49 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Don't know what kwon bup is. Hmm.

BTW what would you say is the best martial art for self-defence?

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 03:56 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I did Okinawan Karate for about 10 years.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 04:22 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Don't know what kwon bup is. Hmm.
It was a style I studied while in graduate school in Fresno, CA. Combo hard/soft, 50/50 kicks/punches. Years later -- since I couldn't find anything about it back on the East Coast -- I figured it may've been a style my instructor made up. I remember once this tongue of flame coming out of the back room, and out stepped my instructor with some sort of flamethrower. "Kwon bup weapon," he said with a sly grin.

BTW what would you say is the best martial art for self-defence?
As the saying goes, it's not the martial art, it's the martial artist who makes the difference. That aside, if I had to pick a style, I'm inclined toward aikido. But then, this generally defensive art may not be to the liking of someone who wants a more aggressive approach.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 05:36 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

MMA is best for overall self-defense.

For you Star Wars fans: Form VI Niman is the most well-rounded and isn't susceptible to weaknesses of other forms.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 06:35 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Mindship
It was a style I studied while in graduate school in Fresno, CA. Combo hard/soft, 50/50 kicks/punches. Years later -- since I couldn't find anything about it back on the East Coast -- I figured it may've been a style my instructor made up. I remember once this tongue of flame coming out of the back room, and out stepped my instructor with some sort of flamethrower. "Kwon bup weapon," he said with a sly grin.

haha, nice.

As the saying goes, it's not the martial art, it's the martial artist who makes the difference. That aside, if I had to pick a style, I'm inclined toward aikido. But then, this generally defensive art may not be to the liking of someone who wants a more aggressive approach.

Yeah I can agree with that saying.

There is actually an Aikido school near me, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 06:54 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Originally posted by Kurk

For you Star Wars fans: Form VI Niman is the most well-rounded and isn't susceptible to weaknesses of other forms.

Someone knows his Star Wars [Palpatine] good... gooood [/Palpatine]

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 06:55 PM
Adam_PoE

I have done Boxing, Kickboxing, and Taekwondo. My trainer does Boxing and Jiu-Jitsu, and is an MMA fighter.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:51 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Bulldog huh

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 10:52 PM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I'm really into HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts).

Swordplay mainly, but also Hand-to-Hand techniques.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Nov 18th, 2017 11:00 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote