KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Colorado shooting- 1 officer dead, multiple injured

Colorado shooting- 1 officer dead, multiple injured
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Colorado shooting- 1 officer dead, multiple injured

Looks like a domestic disturbance gone wrong
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/3...ide-denver.html

More victims of the gun violence epidemic

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Dec 31st, 2017 07:33 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Colorado shooting- 1 officer dead, multiple injured

quote: (post)
Originally posted by carthage
Looks like a domestic disturbance gone wrong
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/3...ide-denver.html

RIP to the cop.

quote:
More victims of gun violence

Fixed for accuracy.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2017 11:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

At least Cops DIED this time.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2017 11:31 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Re: Colorado shooting- 1 officer dead, multiple injured

Originally posted by carthage
More victims of the gun violence epidemic

Why do people still use this wording? Gun violence epidemic?

News flash, more people are kill by motor vehicles each year. Yet we don’t call it an epidemic.

I don’t see us asking Congress to put tighter motor vehicle laws. So why guns?

The most gun related death are done with illegal firearms. The majority of citizen with legal ownership of guns doesn’t go around gunning down innocents.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2017 11:44 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Around 10,000 non suicide related gun deaths a year in a country of over 300 million. With an estimated 300 million or more firearms.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2017 11:44 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by SquallX
Why do people still use this wording? Gun violence epidemic?

News flash, more people are kill by motor vehicles each year. Yet we don’t call it an epidemic.

I don’t see us asking Congress to put tighter motor vehicle laws. So why guns?

The most gun related death are done with illegal firearms. The majority of citizen with legal ownership of guns doesn’t go around gunning down innocents.

Automobile-related deaths are mostly accidental, whereas gun-related deaths are mostly deliberate and intentional.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 05:43 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Automobile-related deaths are mostly accidental, whereas gun-related deaths are mostly deliberate and intentional.

I would agree. I'd rather just look at the non suicide related deaths per year compared to the total population and number of firearms. The number can always be lower, we can always do better, but I would not classify it an epidemic.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 06:00 PM
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Surtur
I would agree. I'd rather just look at the non suicide related deaths per year compared to the total population and number of firearms. The number can always be lower, we can always do better, but I would not classify it an epidemic.

The US has more homicides by firearm than just about any other developed country, year after year. Gun violence has reached epidemic proportions, and we clearly seem to have the biggest problem containing it. I think that more than qualifies it as an epidemic facing the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_v...e_United_States
quote:
Firearms were used to kill 13,286 people in the U.S. in 2015, excluding suicide.[12] Approximately 1.4 million people have been killed using firearms in the U.S. between 1968 and 2011, equivalent to a top 10 largest U.S. city in 2016, falling between the populations of San Antonio and Dallas, Texas.[12]

Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher.[13] Although it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the U.S. had 82 percent of all gun deaths, 90 percent of all women killed by guns, 91 percent of children under 14 and 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns.[13] In 2010, gun violence cost U.S. taxpayers approximately $516 million in direct hospital costs.[14]

Gun violence is most common in poor urban areas and frequently associated with gang violence, often involving male juveniles or young adult males.[15][16] Although mass shootings have been covered extensively in the media, mass shootings in the US account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths[17] and the frequency of these events steadily declined between 1994 and 2007, rising between 2007 and 2013.[18][19]

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 06:25 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

We have a shitload of guns, and about 10,000 deaths per year. Out of a country of 300 million with a similar number of firearms nah, not an epidemic.

Other nations are irrelevant, they don't determine if it's an epidemic. We look at our own people, the number of people, the number of firearms, and the number of deaths.

By all means, provide me the number of firearms in those other countries if you really want to compare.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 1st, 2018 at 06:31 PM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 06:29 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

And this needs to be pointed out although some won't like it: a large number of firearm homicides are done by a group representing 6% of the population. That's gang activity.

Though I still don't see this as an epidemic looking at the number of firearms plus people. It's a problem, but not an epidemic IMO.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 1st, 2018 at 06:37 PM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 06:33 PM
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Surtur
We have a shitload of guns, and about 10,000 deaths per year. Out of a country of 300 million with a similar number of firearms nah, not an epidemic.

Other nations are irrelevant, they don't determine if it's an epidemic. We look at our own people, the number of people, the number of firearms, and the number of deaths.

By all means, provide me the number of firearms in those other countries if you really want to compare.

Using other countries as a reference helps us to gauge and understand where we stand comparatively. We have a shitload more people being killed and injured by firearms than they do, and we generally have a shitload more guns than they do as well. Perhaps that's not the sole cause, as guns are romanticized here on top of other cultural issues, but it's at least a strong correlation.

That's why so many people are in favor of better gun control, and some want guns banned altogether.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 06:47 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Using other countries as a reference helps us to gauge and understand where we stand comparatively. We have a shitload more people being killed and injured by firearms than they do, and we generally have a shitload more guns than they do as well. Perhaps that's not the sole cause, as guns are romanticized here on top of other cultural issues, but it's at least a strong correlation.

That's why so many people are in favor of better gun control, and some want guns banned altogether.

I fully understand that yes we are worse than other countries when it comes to this. I just wouldn't call it an epidemic when you have 300 million guns and 300 million people and an average of around 10,000 non suicide related deaths.

It seems like if you do not shoot yourself and aren't involved in crime your chances of getting shot are quite slim.

I am also in favor of any new gun control laws that will work. I found out today that fully automatic assault rifles are illegal(well I knew that), but I found out there is a way to legally purchase guns made before 1986. It is very expensive and a lengthy process. I do not like that, even if it takes a long time to get it.

I don't like that if I have a gun I can legally sell it privately to you without needing an id or background check. But I also don't know what law would stop that.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2018 06:51 PM