KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Solutions to automation-induced job loss

Solutions to automation-induced job loss
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Solutions to automation-induced job loss

Discuss.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 06:53 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Never gonna happen. The Singularity will soon make humans 100% OBSOLETE!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 06:55 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Well there may be lots of time between mass-unemployment and human-level AGI.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:00 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Solutions to automation-induced job loss

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Discuss.
Stay at home and plug into your VR orgy or sex bot.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:01 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Well there may be lots of time between mass-unemployment and human-level AGI.

Nah. It will be the Future of a Judge Dredd Mega City One.

Humanity will go Ape Shit and Destroy it self out of boredom.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:04 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lazybones

Not entirely sure. I think market developments will make up for many of the job losses by automation, much in the same way they have during previous economic transformations (Industrialisation, Free Trade etc...). However, there may need to be some targeted government spending in the areas where it will strike first. However, I'm not of the opinion that this should necessarily be funded by a 'robot tax', which could drastically slow the pace of automation and endanger economic competitiveness. But you could make the tax system more progressive in general, to capture some of that excess wealth and redistribute to displaced workers and those still in work, or to prime into new industries that have the potential to provide more sustainable jobs. That said, I'm not on board with the idea of an unconditional basic income, because that would be far too costly and could breed a very shoddy work ethic. But there should be some targeted tax credits to ease the transition, which I don't think will be as drastic and sudden as some make it out to be.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:09 PM
lazybones is currently offline Click here to Send lazybones a Private Message Find more posts by lazybones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Nah. It will be the Future of a Judge Dredd Mega City One.

Humanity will go Ape Shit and Destroy it self out of boredom.

No, we will have become gods in the future.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:09 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Surtur
No, we will have become gods in the future.

I refuse to watch any clop ...I mean clip from BUFFY!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:12 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

How dare you besmirch the good name of Joss Whedon.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 07:25 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

clean coal

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:14 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

UBI.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:16 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Beniboybling
clean coal

"We've ended the war on beautiful, clean coal and it’s just been announced that a second, brand-new coal mine, where they're going to take out clean coal - meaning, they’re taking out coal. They’re going to clean it - is opening in the state of Pennsylvania, the second one." -Donald J. Trump circa August 2017

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Maybe turn yourself into a robot?

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:39 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

We need some kind of cyborg program, this is clear.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:44 PM
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Surtur
How dare you besmirch the good name of Joss Whedon.

Yeah. You are right. I should leave that to Joss himself.

He is WAY better at it then anybody else.

eek!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 08:58 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

There are loads of Buffy extras that he banged that would agree with you.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:01 PM
Flyattractor

Whedon Vs Wienstien.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:01 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Robtard
"We've ended the war on beautiful, clean coal and it’s just been announced that a second, brand-new coal mine, where they're going to take out clean coal - meaning, they’re taking out coal. They’re going to clean it - is opening in the state of Pennsylvania, the second one." -Donald J. Trump circa August 2017
truly an inspiring wordsmith...

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:16 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Beniboybling
truly an inspiring wordsmith...

If coal is so dirty. Shouldn't we get it out of the ground?

Cause...LEFTY SCIENCE!!!!!!

eek!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:20 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

UBI pretty much, though even that isn't a true solution. Automation is the death of capitalism though, sure enough.

New jobs will be created (mostly in the IT/engineering sectors) but not nearly enough. What separates this event from other industrialization events in human history is the population boom that's accompanying it. Barring some near-extinction events the global population has been relatively stable until the 20th century. Globalism also compounds the issue. In 19th century Britain British workers only had to compete with other British for work.

We're projected to have around 16 BILLION people on the planet within decades. We aren't going to need 16 billion engineers and programmers, though. Hell we won't even need a billion- the more advanced technology gets the less man-hours you need for any project.

Population will completely outstrip labor and then we'll be ****ed.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:20 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote