KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Cop fired for not killing anyone wins settlement.

Cop fired for not killing anyone wins settlement.
Started by: Nephthys

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Cop fired for not killing anyone wins settlement.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ticle-1.3817584

quote:
Stephen Mader, who was still a member of the Weirton Police Department at the time, was the first officer to respond to a domestic dispute call the night of May 6, 2016. When he arrived on the scene he discovered 23-year-old Ronald Williams, who was “visibly distraught” and pleading with Mader to shoot him, according to court documents

Mader ordered the man to show his hands, and Williams obliged — he was armed.

Despite the weapon, the Marine Corps Veteran did not believe lethal force was necessary and attempted to de-escalate the situation.

“He wasn’t screaming, yelling, he wasn’t angry,” he told NBC. “He just seemed really distraught. Whenever he told me to shoot him it was as if he was pleading with me.

“At first I’m thinking, ‘Do I really need to shoot this guy?’ But after hearing, ‘Just shoot me,’ and his demeanor, it was, ‘I definitely can’t.’”

He said it was his military background that allowed him to decide Mader was more of a threat to himself than others. But when Mader’s backup arrived on the scene, Williams again began waving his gun.

Within seconds, the officers shot Willams’ dead. It was later confirmed that his gun was not loaded.

I think this case speaks of one of the largest issues in American law enforcement. These guys are trained to kill at the slightest possible risk and when someone actually tries to deescalate a situation the guy's fired and smeared. Think of the message that sends to his fellow officers. I'm glad this guy won his case but this was still an easily avoidable tragedy.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:07 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Good news.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:08 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

I agree that your average police officer needs better training.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:17 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ticle-1.3817584

I think this case speaks of one of the largest issues in American law enforcement. These guys are trained to kill at the slightest possible risk and when someone actually tries to deescalate a situation the guy's fired and smeared. Think of the message that sends to his fellow officers. I'm glad this guy won his case but this was still an easily avoidable tragedy.

I'm glad he won, but if what your article says is true the other cops came upon a dude waving a gun around. He got shot. I'm sorry, you just don't wave guns around at cops. Most of them are not going to take the chance that person won't use it.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Well I'd say that they should have seen that their colleague had been able to engage him without being shot and not be so trigger happy. The guy wanted to suicide by cop. Instead of running in and instantly gunning him down, accurately assessing the situation beforehand would have spared the guys life.

The most important thing though is that they fired the first cop for not shooting. Thats a gross injustice imo and sends a message to every other officer to just shoot first and ask questions later.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:29 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well I'd say that they should have seen that their colleague had been able to engage him without being shot and not be so trigger happy. The guy wanted to suicide by cop. Instead of running in and instantly gunning him down, accurately assessing the situation beforehand would have spared the guys life.

The most important thing though is that they fired the first cop for not shooting. Thats a gross injustice imo and sends a message to every other officer to just shoot first and ask questions later.

Firing the cop was wrong. What happened with the other incident was tragic, but nowhere near the cops fault or even a result of bad training.

If you wave a gun at a cop you will get shot and I can't see how exactly they could have stopped him without being mind readers, because they have no clue what he is going to do once they see him waving a gun around.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:36 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The guy was yelling at them to shoot him, its pretty obvious what he was trying to do. erm

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:41 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The guy was yelling at them to shoot him, its pretty obvious what he was trying to do. erm

Yes, but it means he is mentally unstable. How are they to know what he will do, who he will shoot?

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:54 PM
MythLord
Diamond

Originally posted by Robtard
Good news.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 06:55 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

I don't blame the other cops for shooting the guy, but the fact that the first cop on the scene got fired is beyond retarded. He was fired for essentially having superior training.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 07:31 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Remember that they don't hire applicants with an IQ above a certain threshold so that they can't think independently like this guy did.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 07:32 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Kurk
Remember that they don't hire applicants with an IQ above a certain threshold so that they can't think independently like this guy did.

Can't risk raising that bar, you know.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 07:34 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

We need more cops like this and less cops like the assassin who murdered Daniel Shaver.

That cop was cleared btw.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 09:06 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Man was fired to doing good police work and being proven correct. Glad he won the settlement but the fact that he was even fired in the first place is absolutely disgusting. Whoever made the decision to fire him should, in fact, be fired and never allowed anywhere near authority again.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 10:09 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

We need more cops like this and less cops like the assassin who murdered Daniel Shaver.

That cop was a murderer hiding behind his title, given far to much power and lenience for his actions.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 10:37 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I sincerely hope that cop is killed asap. Man is walking garbage.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 10:40 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

damn

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 10:50 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

We had a popular police commander murdered recently here a few days ago. There are good cops that do good jobs. You disrespect them when you get rid of a good cop for stupid reasons.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2018 10:53 PM