KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The future of retail outlet stores

The future of retail outlet stores
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

The future of retail outlet stores

Toys R Us is closing all stores and liquidating their inventory.

This makes me wonder about the future of retail stores of the world today and what may happen in the next few decades.

Internet giants like Amazon already have the market cornered and even Walmart is utilizing the web to let customers click & buy to drive to the parking lot to have their orders hand delivered.

What are your predictions?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 10:21 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Retail brick and mortar stores are definitely in trouble. As many industries will be in the coming decades as the world changes. They'll have to adapt or die out. And most will die out, unfortunately.

I'm sad to hear Toys R Us is going out of business. I grew up loving that store and going there all the time, I have fond memories of buying my video games and toys there, and always felt excitement as we arrived in the parking lot. That's where I bought my N64, the first console I paid for myself and that I got at launch. The store I went to is still open and I'm going to make sure to stop by at least one more time before they close it.

Last edited by BackFire on Mar 14th, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 10:26 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Dunno, they'll be losses, but I still feel retail will go on. While the convenience of Amazon can't be ignored, you do a few clicks and 48hrs later a box arrives at your house, people still like to touch, feel and see in person certain items. Maybe not their laundry detergent bottle, but something like a television or decorative item.

I remember when eBooks first started out and it was expected that the bookstore would go the way of the dodo in 'X' amount of years because why go buy a book when you can just download it onto your Kindle or other device in a matter of seconds. But people like the feel and smell of books when reading; they like browsing around in an actual bookstore, so the bookstores remain, though arguably scaled back some.

I can relate to BF's story, Toys R Us going under hits a soft spot in my heart. I have very fond memories of going as a child and the unrestrained exciting when pulling into the parking lot and then taking my own children decades later and seeing them glow with the same joy.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 10:40 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Retail is generally more expensive than buying online and you need to waste time to actually go out and get it while you can usually easily find what you want from home. Its easy to see why retail is struggling to compete.

I think a lot of things will change relatively soon and in the future most products will have a greater online presence than street presence. We may see a downsizing in physical stores to a minimum.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 10:40 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Another group of people without jobs. ****ing sucks for the thousands that’s about to be out of works.

Technology is wonderful, but at the same time sucks.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 10:53 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Retail brick and mortar stores are definitely in trouble. As many industries will be in the coming decades as the world changes. They'll have to adapt or die out. And most will die out, unfortunately.

that's it really. the old model of shopping is coming to an end and these companies can no longer survive by dryhumping customers with email blasts, resting on their laurels, and dreaming of that new boom just around the corner. . i think there will be a positive effect in that much less leasing space would be required for department stores, if they kept customers and inventory separate and no longer needed giant spaces to showcase products, they'd have a much more manageable and sustainable business model. as it stands, super expensive leases are part of what's been crushing retail outlets.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2018 10:58 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by Robtard
I can relate to BF's story, Toys R Us going under hits a soft spot in my heart. I have very fond memories of going as a child and the unrestrained exciting when pulling into the parking lot and then taking my own children decades later and seeing them glow with the same joy.

They had Toys R Us stores in the 1950's?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:02 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Some things people want to see in person until the virtual reality part of online shopping catches up. (e.g viewing angles on TVs, audio quality of headphones, fitting of shoes/clothes, etc)

It's a gradual change, not a rapid one.

Think I can grab some sweet deals while Toys R us is liquidating assets?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:04 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Liquidation sales have been rumored to be up to 30% off of select items, but don't think that it will apply to major items like a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:06 AM
BackFire

Originally posted by Impediment

laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:14 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
laughing out loud

You both have made a powerful eEnemy today!

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:21 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Sorry, didn't mean to wake you from your nap.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:27 AM
Impediment
Endless

laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:28 AM
BackFire

We joke, but Rob is actually in much better shape than either Imp or I.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:29 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

nonsense. round is a shape.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:31 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I'm more oval.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:33 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

i'd just like to point out that you and imp have done an especially shitty job of keeping discussions on topic as of late. kinda the opposite really. IMPEACH NOW

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:36 AM
BackFire

Because you all just troll each other all the time now. And I think it's funny. And sexy.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 12:39 AM
cdtm

Amazon is the new Wal-Mart.

Imo, online is much worse for consumers, because logistics is no longer a factor to conquer every square inch of every region.

Which has already happened. Price fixing is unnecessary, when you ARE the market, like in the case of Stream or Amazon..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 01:05 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I remember the way Toys R Us did videogames. You looked at the games. They had slips. You took the slip to some dude, he went into the back to fetch your game, then you got it.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2018 01:08 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote