KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Facebook, Snowden and Cambridge Analytical

Facebook, Snowden and Cambridge Analytical
Started by: Blindside12

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Facebook, Snowden and Cambridge Analytical

Snowden has now called FB a surveillance organization, which it is.

link

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 18th, 2018 11:55 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

This is going to be a big part of the future of companies. Facebook is probably the biggest seller of details of their customers but they are not the only ones. Many more exist and what's more, people are largely ok with it just so long as the company is 1) open about it and 2) not too egregious about what private information they give.

There's a service that got a lot of attention last year called moviepass. I subscribe to it, it's an incredibly good deal for what it offers. For 10 dollars a month you can go see any 2d movie in nearly any theater at anytime, up to one per day. The service pays the theater the full price of each movie you go see. This seems like something that is impossible to make profit off of - a subscriber pays $10 a month, goes see potentially 30 movies in that same month, the service pays the theater upwards of $300+. How do they make money? Well because their secondary service is the selling of information about the customer; mostly benign information like what movies they like to see, how often they go to the movies, what theater they usually go to, etc, which lets the advertisers they sell this information to target those specific users. This is common knowledge at this point, and yet, I don't care, the service is great and an excellent deal. Still, it's the kind of thing that I think would have been frowned upon not too long ago, and now it's accepted. It's going to just get more and more common from here.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 04:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

So you area Schill to many things.

Nice to know.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 04:31 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

All things.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 04:35 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Except for things like Truth, Honesty, Fairness.

You stay WELL AWAY from those things.

Cause ya know....MOD!

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 04:36 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

This is news?

I hope you don't own a phone

Or pc

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 04:37 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
This is going to be a big part of the future of companies. Facebook is probably the biggest seller of details of their customers but they are not the only ones. Many more exist and what's more, people are largely ok with it just so long as the company is 1) open about it and 2) not too egregious about what private information they give.

There's a service that got a lot of attention last year called moviepass. I subscribe to it, it's an incredibly good deal for what it offers. For 10 dollars a month you can go see any 2d movie in nearly any theater at anytime, up to one per day. The service pays the theater the full price of each movie you go see. This seems like something that is impossible to make profit off of - a subscriber pays $10 a month, goes see potentially 30 movies in that same month, the service pays the theater upwards of $300+. How do they make money? Well because their secondary service is the selling of information about the customer; mostly benign information like what movies they like to see, how often they go to the movies, what theater they usually go to, etc, which lets the advertisers they sell this information to target those specific users. This is common knowledge at this point, and yet, I don't care, the service is great and an excellent deal. Still, it's the kind of thing that I think would have been frowned upon not too long ago, and now it's accepted. It's going to just get more and more common from here.

Even seeing just one film a month I don't really lose money. I need to get on that.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 04:18 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Yeah it's a great deal. There are a few caveats though - you can't check in online to reserve a ticket or anything, and you have to buy the ticket the day of, so it can make it difficult to use for big releases opening weekend.

Also there are some theaters that don't accept it. Some AMC theaters refuse to accept it even though at a company level they still are, as far as I know. You also can only use it for your ticket, not anyone elses, so if you're going with a group you have to buy your ticket separately from everyone else's. Lastly it can take a while for the card to come in the mail, took me about 6 weeks to get my card from when I ordered it. Though they don't charge you until you activate the card once you get it. That was back in October though, might be better now.

I don't think any of these are a very big deal, it's worked well for me so far and recommend the service.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2018 08:11 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by BackFire
Many more exist and what's more, people are largely ok with it just so long as the company is 1) open about it and 2) not too egregious about what private information they give.
thats the problem, they aren't, and people are still ok with it. sad

Old Post Mar 20th, 2018 07:12 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Thanks Esta!

Last edited by Blindside12 on Mar 21st, 2018 at 03:21 PM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 03:17 PM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Blindside12
Zuckerberg has been hiding.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...4b0decad044d71a

Lol, I remember seeing people in the comments section of articles saying this would bring down Trump. It would be funny if all it really does is end up hurting Facebook.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 03:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Its clear now that Facebook actually profited off ruining Hillary.

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 03:30 PM
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lol Zuckerberg personally met with the #2 at the Kremlin.

https://twitter.com/TheBeatWithAri/...237352740966400

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:22 PM
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

THE IRREVERSIBLE DAMAGE OF MARK ZUCKERBERG’S SILENCE

https://www.wired.com/story/mark-zu...ter_onsiteshare

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:23 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Blindside12
Its clear now that Facebook actually profited off ruining Hillary.

it's weird seeing you acknowledge this.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:26 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
it's weird seeing you acknowledge this.

The media profits off ruining Trump, its a two way street. Thing is facebook and those silicon elite types voted for her and supporter her candidacy, while at the same time stabbing her in the back. Its a dick move.

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:36 PM
BackFire

Is Facebook stock still tanking?

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:41 PM
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hes lost 8 billion so far.

Jim Carey had some insie info it seems.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/acto...-122225930.html

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:50 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

FB has lost upwards of 50bil in value, but it's just a blip in the big picture. It will go back up even if it takes the rest of 2018. All things pass; or at least most things. FB is too popular.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fb actually sucks.

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Mar 21st, 2018 10:55 PM