KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Most intellectually impressive person in history

Most intellectually impressive person in history
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Most intellectually impressive person in history

Who is the most seemingly "academically" brilliant human in history?

I used "intellectually impressive" because the smartest person might be some random nobody we've never heard of.

Random candidates off the top of my head:

- Newton
- Von Neuman
- Einstein
- Euler
- Gauss
- Ramanujan
- Saul Kripke
- John Stuart Mill
- Da Vinci

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:19 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Isn’t this more subjective than anything else?

I always felt Tesla was one of most brilliant minds of his times. Same with Alexander the Great and Hannibal when it came to warfare.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:44 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

No Stephen Hawking?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:48 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
No Stephen Hawking?

Hawking is obviously extremely sharp, but he's not on the level of someone like Newton.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:52 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

sad

What about philosophers like Plato?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 09:57 PM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Off your list, I'd go with Newton, his works is what others on your list learned from themselves and expanded.

Da Vinci was an everything man, but I don't think his influence is the same as Newton, even if he lived and died 100+ years before Newton was born.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 10:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Robtard

Da Vinci was an everything man, but I don't think his influence is the same as Newton, even if he lived and died 100+ years before Newton was born.

a result of the times rather than insufficient intelligence, I'd think.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 10:04 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
What about philosophers like Plato?

I could certainly see that. I haven't read Plato's works but from what I can tell it doesn't seem as profound to me as a lot of more modern philosophers, but I am speaking from a bit of ignorance here.

Originally posted by Robtard

Da Vinci certainly wasn't as influential as Newton, but as kbro says I don't think it was a lack of brilliance that held him back from doing more.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 10:08 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Oh, I'm not doubting Da Vinci's intelligence, he seems to be an upper-end genius in the upper-end genius pool. Just not sure he would have accomplished the same as Newton had he been born half-way into the 17th century. But certainly possible/debatable.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 10:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

William James Sidis may actually be the most intelligent person ever recorded, but he wouldn't crack the top 10,000 most academically prolific.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 10:13 PM
dadudemon

da Vinci is actually one of the top minds in human history. If we review this, academically, it is da Vinci by a very large margin.

Sidis' exploits are suspect with many believing it to be exaggerated.

Also, considering the S&B4 and 5 do not go above 170, many of these "IQs" are suspect. (I know, not all IQ tests are the S&B)

Old Post Apr 10th, 2018 11:07 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon
da Vinci is actually one of the top minds in human history. If we review this, academically, it is da Vinci by a very large margin.

Expand on that please.

He's definitely the most interesting genius to me in the list of geniuses posted.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:12 AM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Galileo.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:30 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Galileo Figaro, magnifico o o o.

Couldn't resist.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:31 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

In all seriousness though, probably Tesla. He'd be my pick.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:32 AM
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Goethe.

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:40 AM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

You expect us to rank people we know nothing about aside from their historical achievements? Not a very good way of scoping IQ

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:41 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
Goethe.

It's interesting how literary greats of older eras were often also into the sciences, as opposed to a greater split today.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 02:36 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

I guess those that had the privilege of pursuing higher education back then went for the full course.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 02:39 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I guess those that had the privilege of pursuing higher education back then went for the full course.

Yeah, subjects are way more complicated and specialized nowadays.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 02:40 AM