KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » What are our greatest existential threats?

What are our greatest existential threats?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

What are our greatest existential threats?

IMHO (no particular order):

Unfriendly AI
Bioweapon
Nuclear war
Natural disease (perhaps anti-bacteria resistant bug)
Nanotechnology
Climate Change
Deleterious mutation load (most dangerously lowering IQ)

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 03:06 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

The collapse of our moral character is a good one to put up ther.e

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 03:12 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultra Instinct.
Restricted

Account Restricted

Russia of course

Last edited by Ultra Instinct. on Apr 11th, 2018 at 03:32 AM

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 03:29 AM
Ultra Instinct. is currently offline Click here to Send Ultra Instinct. a Private Message Find more posts by Ultra Instinct. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Super Volcanos are pretty cool.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 03:38 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ultra Instinct.
Russia of course

YES RUSSIA!!! THEY'VE GOT TRUMP AS THEIR PUPPET!!! THEY BASICALLY RUN THE WORLD!!!!!!

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 03:39 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I did read today that officials confirmed that Russia was able to scramble our drones. That's a bit troubling.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 03:41 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: What are our greatest existential threats?

Originally posted by The Ellimist
IMHO (no particular order):

Unfriendly AI
Bioweapon
Nuclear war
Natural disease (perhaps anti-bacteria resistant bug)
Nanotechnology
Climate Change
Deleterious mutation load (most dangerously lowering IQ)

Probably the AI thing.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 04:06 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Even AI we can control is terrifying because who gets to control it? Some megalomaniacal ******* in government? Some moral busybody who thinks they know best for the world but don't? Someone genuinely malevolent?

Also even if we do control it the right way and bring about the "utopia," how would we cope with a world with infinite instant gratification? Would a constant state of hedonism be properly satisfying? What would such a world spell for the cultivation of human character?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 04:21 AM
Flyattractor

Children thinking they are born with an ACTUAL GENDER!

We gotta put a stop to this nonsense.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 05:52 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Of those choices I'd go for bioweapons or aggressive AI, you can't rule out climate change though, we are long overdue for another ice age after all.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 06:00 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

We aint come fully out of the CURRENT Ice Age yet.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 06:02 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Yes we have. The last ice age ended roughly 12,000 years ago, we are now in what is known as an interglacial, a period where the planet warms up and thaws out the ice from the previous ice age (also known as glacials) so that the cycle can begin again.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 09:12 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
The collapse of our moral character is a good one to put up ther.e
lol dude. I guarantee you wouldn't have any had you not been raised by a religious family in Texas.

Anyway, my prime candidate would be antibiotic resistant bacteria by far. Next as a threat (but not necessarily the end of humanity) would be bioweapons/nuclear war, but it's a big step before my first cadidate.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:08 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultra Instinct.
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire
I did read today that officials confirmed that Russia was able to scramble our drones. That's a bit troubling.

Not the full story, they were able to scramble some of our lower end, non weaponized ones. They were not able to scramble any weaponized drones.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:27 PM
Ultra Instinct. is currently offline Click here to Send Ultra Instinct. a Private Message Find more posts by Ultra Instinct. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

I'd say climate change. Everything else is avoidable and with decent foreknowledge (or just plain luck) shouldn't evolve into an issue at all. Climate change is already happening and not nearly enough is being done about it. IIRC we've already gone past the point where its reversible.

It won't wipe out humanity (I don't think) but it may threaten civilisation as we know it.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:34 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Internet discussion boards.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 12:36 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Internet discussion boards.
thumb up I'll raise you, Social Media!

Did laugh Digi btw! You'll always be one of my favourite posters mate.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 01:13 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Did laugh Digi btw! You'll always be one of my favourite posters mate.

thumb up

I'll always be one of my favorite posters as well.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 02:14 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
thumb up

I'll always be one of my favorite posters as well.
Haha, we all like our own brand!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 02:16 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by samhain
Yes we have. The last ice age ended roughly 12,000 years ago, we are now in what is known as an interglacial, a period where the planet warms up and thaws out the ice from the previous ice age (also known as glacials) so that the cycle can begin again.

That's not correct. Glaciologically, we are still in an ice age because there are still ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres. This is the same argument that happens when some people call tomatoes a vegetable when it is botanically a fruit.

When the glaciation disappears from both the northern and southern hemispheres, you can then state that the ice age has finally ended.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2018 04:22 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote