KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 9 Dead After Van Ploughs Into Crowd In Toronto

9 Dead After Van Ploughs Into Crowd In Toronto
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

9 Dead After Van Ploughs Into Crowd In Toronto

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Damn

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:34 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*summons DMD of Kekistan*

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:35 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: 9 Dead After Van Ploughs Into Crowd In Toronto

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Toronto horror as van 'DELIBERATELY' ploughs through crowd - nine dead and 16 injured

This is an awful event. RIP to the victims.

9 dead, now? Man, it was 1 then 5 now 9.

Guess bad reports were coming in or it took a while for the others to die from their injuries.

Is this car thing going to continue for more years? I guess no matter how much regulation you put into place, you'll never get cars out of people's hands until it is illegal for them to drive cars because they are all level 4 self driving cars?

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:43 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
9 dead, now? Man, it was 1 then 5 now 9.

Guess bad reports were coming in or it took a while for the others to die from their injuries.

Is this car thing going to continue for more years? I guess no matter how much regulation you put into place, you'll never get cars out of people's hands until it is illegal for them to drive cars because they are all level 4 self driving cars?

I feel like even when we perfect self driving cars...I'm am sure there will still be ways to manually take over. Even if you have to hack the car to do it.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:47 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Cyber-crime trumps all.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:50 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Surtur
I feel like even when we perfect self driving cars...I'm am sure there will still be ways to manually take over. Even if you have to hack the car to do it.

There will be but there would be *cough* certain people *cough* at that point in time who would likely want to make driving illegal.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:51 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Emperordmb
There will be but there would be *cough* certain people *cough* at that point in time who would likely want to make driving illegal.

If we have level 4 SDCs, yeah, I'm all for making it illegal for people to drive on public infrastructure and only allow human driving on special tracks.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 09:53 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Only way self-driving cars will be feasible is if all cars are doing it and being controlled by one source or multiple linked sources where every car is connected remotely(radio, wife, satellite etc) to each other and they all "know" what the other is doing precisely, speed, direction, next course adjustment, braking etc.

Mixing in human drivers with human-error will just net us accidents.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 10:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Robtard
Only way self-driving cars will be feasible is if all cars are doing it and being controlled by one source or multiple linked sources where every car is connected remotely(radio, wife, satellite etc) to each other and they all "know" what the other is doing precisely, speed, direction, next course adjustment, braking etc.

What if they could do even better than that and not be required to be "single-source" aware? What if they could be aware enough to not require a central control? That's what level 4 kind of means. Level 5 is weird because level 3 cars can already do many things better than humans.

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...he-differences/

Mixing in human drivers with human-error will just net us accidents.

But we are already doing that. We are already driving in "mixed" scenarios. And will for probably 20 more years.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 10:21 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

One problem I could see is if a person isn't in control of the car the company is responsible. So if it kills someone they gotta pay.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 10:23 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon
What if they could do even better than that and not be required to be "single-source" aware? What if they could be aware enough to not require a central control? That's what level 4 kind of means. Level 5 is weird because level 3 cars can already do many things better than humans.

https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...he-differences/

But we are already doing that. We are already driving in "mixed" scenarios. And will for probably 20 more years.

As long and they're all connected together and being proactive instead of reactive when it comes to braking, speed, turning etc, sure. Like a hive mind, individuals, but linked.

We are, but I don't see it working in massive quantities though. It has to be an all or nothing, imo. Reminds me of highway scene in Minority Report(?), where the car goes auto on certain [high speed] roads. Which we could feasible do in the future, making certain roads or even separate lanes be all driver-less and every car on those lanes in connected remotely to each other. eg so if I'm behind you, my car already knows long ahead which exit you're taking and at what exact speeds you'll be taking it as our cars are 'talking' to each other, so my car is preparing ahead of time and not reacting to the unknown.

edit: In theory, that would stop most if not all traffic congestion. It would be one seamless ocean of cars going at ideal speeds and not needing to brake much at all.

Last edited by Robtard on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:34 PM

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 10:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Originally posted by Kurk
SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*summons DMD of Kekistan*

Why do you call him DMD?

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 10:31 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 11:14 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Crazy, my first two thoughts:

1) Who in the f*ck films in portrait? F*ck that person right in their ass then face.

2) Have to give props to that Canadian cop. He maintained his cool and didn't open fire, thereby endangering pedestrians.

ps The guy in the van looked like he was trying to get shot

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 11:20 PM
dadudemon

As long and they're all connected together and being proactive instead of reactive when it comes to braking, speed, turning etc, sure. Like a hive mind, individuals, but linked.

We are, but I don't see it working in massive quantities though. It has to be an all or nothing, imo. Reminds me of highway scene in Minority Report(?), where the car goes auto on certain [high speed] roads. Which we could feasible do in the future, making certain roads or even separate lanes be all driver-less and every car on those lanes in connected remotely to each other. eg so if I'm behind you, my car already knows long ahead which exit you're taking and at what exact speeds you'll be taking it as our cars are 'talking' to each other, so my car is preparing ahead of time and not reacting to the unknown.

edit: In theory, that would stop most if not all traffic congestion. It would be one seamless ocean of cars going at ideal speeds and not needing to brake much at all.

Do you mean predicting crashes before the happen and taking action faster than is possible for humans?

Yes, I agree. If SDCs are going to take off, they have to be able to do this.

In the below videos, the Teslas are predicting crashes and taking action to prevent the car from being involved. In most cases, it is before a human would be able to determine they would be in an accident. It even predicts crashes further up the road that other cars will get into:

Three of those are so absurd that they blow my mind. It's hard for me to imagine that tech already exists that far surpasses humans ability to drive (in some circumstances).

Notice anything common? Almost all is city street or highway. It's not good enough for neighborhoods, imo. But this video is somewhat old and it has improved significantly since then.

It's possible to create a "smart network" of SDCs that do not use a central hub/brain. I just got out of a meeting with a team of people, Friday of last week, where gentleman decided he wanted to create a neural net for something specific (that I cannot say) (deep learning). A neural net...this is Star Trek shit. And he did it as part of another project to help that project move along faster.

Last edited by dadudemon on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:47 PM

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 11:44 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yes and no. Ideally there would be few to nigh zero crashes on these highways and roads as all cars would be linked together (and we're removing the human-error element), knowing at all times what the other car is doing and plans to do on a nanosecond per nanosecond basis. Trying to make a a proactive instead of a reactive system.

Obliviously there's always the chance of outside forces that would create a reactive scenario. eg like a deer jumping into the middle of the road and one car braking suddenly to advoid splattering bambi and then the other cars behind having to decide whether it's better to brake, swerve, speed up etc. Though again, they'd all know within a instance what the braking car is doing and to the exact degree it's braking as they'd all be linked wirelessly and they'd all react accordingly.

Could even implement our road cameras into the system where the car/system could use them effectively look ahead for miles and miles on road conditions for even greater proactive driving. eg '2.78 miles ahead car 001001XB.005c had to brake from 70mph down to 5mph in order to avoid deer' could be sent to all cars on said road instantly.

Last edited by Robtard on Apr 24th, 2018 at 12:02 AM

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2018 11:58 PM
dadudemon

Yes and no. Ideally there would be few to nigh zero crashes on these highways and roads as all cars would be linked together (and we're removing the human-error element), knowing at all times what the other car is doing and plans to do on a nanosecond per nanosecond basis. Trying to make a a proactive instead of a reactive system.

This is the path that SDCs were going to take a long time ago. But it was largely abandoned. Why? Because of the infrastructure cost. It's too hard to sell.

So what are they doing now? Making very very smart SDCs. Making what I call "Modular, Scalable, Architecture" (MSA) The idea is that as each module in the MSA becomes smarter and more scalable, eventually, we will reach a point that it would simply be a patch or common communication neural network (NN) that could be implemented to bring about what you describe: proactivity.

So how does that happen? People pass a regulation that says, "all must adopt this NN IEEE standard by 20XX in order to keep using the public infrastructure." Bam. Adoption. Common NN infrastructure. SDC proactivity. And true Level 5 SDCs.

And then Skynet is born.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 12:05 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Yeah, I know it's a pipedream due to the scope and cost. But it's also the only real way of it working imo. Though technology cost go down generally, not up. So who knows in say 10, 20 or even 30 years.

Look at what the one 'driveless' car caused death in AZ did. People freak the **** out when it's essetially a robot killing people. Even if you show them that having 10% driverless cars overall reduce accidents.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 12:11 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus

WTF....this is in my city. I've been in a library all day and didn't even notice.

This hits home hard. What is wrong with people....my condolences.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2018 12:18 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote