KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Will China win the A.I. race because of Trump?

Will China win the A.I. race because of Trump?
Started by: The Ellimist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Will China win the A.I. race because of Trump?

While China is pledging >100 billion dollars in investment on AI, Trump...hasn't even acknowledged its existence, even when his entire economic focus, working class jobs, is inextricably linked to its rise. The closest we've gotten to a comment from his administration is his treasury secretary claiming that mass automation is "50-100 years away", which might be one of the dumbest lines I've ever heard from a U.S. cabinet member. Likewise, Trump's attack on h1b visas and the general chilling effect on immigration mitigates one of America's biggest trump cards as an international talent attractor.

Remember that, for better or worse (and the safety concerns are very legitimate), A.I. is possibly the single most impactful technology in human history. Is coal mining really more important than it?

Is this a deliberate political strategy or genuine ignorance / arrogance / stupidity?

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 10:21 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Honestly, even if Trump wasn't pres, Americans are too stupid for us to ever beat China or Japan at tech.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 11:17 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ell, are you a Vanu Sovereignty person IRL?

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 11:23 AM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

So Trump stalls to replace low paid workers with automation, or replace them with lower paid off shore employees.

Awesome.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 11:41 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

*Wait on "But if they put everyone out of work with robots, who will they profit from! Therefore they won't put everyone out of work" arguments*

Look around you. Look at grocery stores in formerly middle class areas. They're switching their focus from the "middle class" to more upscale clients, with deeper pockets willing to spend more freely.

They don't need a healthy middle class or low unemployment to profit. They can just switch their focus to the well to do, all the way up to the 1%.

They're doing that now, and they've been doing it. And they can totally put armies of the working poor out of work completely along the way, just like they did with factory workers.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 11:51 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kurk
Honestly, even if Trump wasn't pres, Americans are too stupid for us to ever beat China or Japan at tech.

Well that is a Racist Remark if ever there was one...

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 06:29 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fly is afraid of losing his mindless, minimum wage, physical labor job.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 06:56 PM
Flyattractor

Almost as much as I am of Racist Xenophobic Leftists taking over the world.

But I still think you are adorable Kurk.

eek!

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 07:03 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Will China win the A.I. race because of Trump?

Originally posted by The Ellimist
While China is pledging >100 billion dollars in investment on AI, Trump...hasn't even acknowledged its existence, even when his entire economic focus, working class jobs, is inextricably linked to its rise. The closest we've gotten to a comment from his administration is his treasury secretary claiming that mass automation is "50-100 years away", which might be one of the dumbest lines I've ever heard from a U.S. cabinet member. Likewise, Trump's attack on h1b visas and the general chilling effect on immigration mitigates one of America's biggest trump cards as an international talent attractor.

Remember that, for better or worse (and the safety concerns are very legitimate), A.I. is possibly the single most impactful technology in human history. Is coal mining really more important than it?

Is this a deliberate political strategy or genuine ignorance / arrogance / stupidity?

He's appeasing his billionaire friends in the right now and not bothering looking to the future. It's all about how much money guys like Robert Murray can make in the short term as coal's a dying industry. So yes, his actions will hurt us in the future where we'll be behind in alternative energies like solar, wind and kinetic and certainly in the AI department which could be integrated into managing/operating those future sources, among the multiple of other segments of society (health, automotive, construction etc). We'll be buying what we need from China instead of selling as a leader to the rest of the world.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Apr 26th, 2018 at 07:59 PM

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 07:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Trump should start by first reviewing all the advances in AI made by the previous administration and then work on a plan to build on what was done in the past.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 08:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 08:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not being clever. He should take whatever was done in the previous administration and try to build on it.

But hey you tried.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2018 08:43 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

@kurk I mean the U.S. has been the world leader in technology for quite a while.

I guess I'm a futurist, yeah.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 02:54 PM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

@kurk I mean the U.S. has been the world leader in technology for quite a while.

You ever worry that AI will become too advanced?

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 04:37 PM
SquallX

Originally posted by Surtur

Nah, we’ll annihilate each other before it comes to that.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 04:39 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SquallX
Nah, we’ll annihilate each other before it comes to that.

That's preferable to being turned into something that wants to scream, but cannot.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 04:40 PM
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

I want it to happen.

But we're not producing the bright young minds; it's the foreigners that are being recruited.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 04:44 PM
The Ellimist
The Shadow

I have two worries:

1. That the goals we give the AI will have unintended consequences (classic thought experiment: paperclip company makes AI that has goal of maximizing paperclips, so it turns the entire planet into a bunch of paperclips and starts spreading paperclips throughout the universe)

2. That the wrong people will get to AI first.

The second concern IMHO is less likely than the first one unless if progress in the West stalls significantly.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2018 05:37 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

What if Fly was really black and poor? Would losing his only means of income still be funny?

Old Post Apr 28th, 2018 09:02 PM
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by cdtm
What if Fly was really black and poor? Would losing his only means of income still be funny?

He's still Fly, so yeah.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2018 01:42 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote