KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why do men tend to be more overconfident than women?

Why do men tend to be more overconfident than women?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why do men tend to be more overconfident than women?

Discuss

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:29 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Patriarchy.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:30 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Men have balls

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:32 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Depends how you define overconfidence. Are you talking about men being confident without having anything to back it up? If so, I don't really think this is a thing that men do more than women to be honest.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:36 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:37 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Men have balls

I was going with ‘we have cocks’.

We’re men, its what we DO.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:38 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Men have balls

As good an answer as any.

Riv's works, too.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:41 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're all god damn pigs. Men aren't the only people who have balls. Women can have balls too. How dare you. Caitlyn Jenner has balls.

Disappointed in all of you. Never expected such utter bigotry.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 10:45 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by Surtur
You're all god damn pigs. Men aren't the only people who have balls. Women can have balls too. How dare you. Caitlyn Jenner has balls.

Disappointed in all of you. Never expected such utter bigotry.

As someone who identifies as a pig I find this post very insulting. Also I identify as KMC. So stop raping me with your words

Old Post May 24th, 2018 11:02 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Stop appropriating pig culture. Not cool.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 11:07 PM
dadudemon

Re: Why do men tend to be more overconfident than women?

Originally posted by Kurk
Discuss

Being overconfident goes hand-in-hand with risk-taking and consequences (positive and negative).

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillma...e-for-risk.html

quote:
For years men have outscored women on this measure, reaffirming conventional wisdom on the sexes. But something about these results bothered Thekla Morgenroth, a psychologists at the UK's University of Exeter. Women take risks all the time, she observed. They just weren't the risks listed on the questionnaire.

What if instead of just asking about poker and bungee jumping, researchers added questions about risks that women more typically take, Morgenroth wondered. When she went ahead and added these sorts of risks to the scale -- things like cooking an impressive but difficult dish for an important dinner party or buying a ticket from a less reliable airline -- lo and behold women suddenly seemed just as comfortable with risk as men.Does this prove that women and men are equally adventurous? No, Morgenroth stresses. What it proves is that the tests that have been used to make claims about gender and risk up to now are biased. The results are dependent on what behaviors are included, and as Morgenroth explains to PsyPost we tend to think stereotypically male behaviors are riskier than stereotypically female ones, even when that's not true.

"In one of our studies we found that people rated masculine risk-taking behaviors as more risky than feminine risk-taking behaviors, even when they were matched for how risky they were," she says. "This makes clear that there is a bias - when we think of risk, we think of men and masculine behaviors, and female risk-taking is overlooked." Cheerleading, for instance, is objectively one of the riskiest sports when it comes to the number of serious injuries caused, but we rarely think of it that way.

The takeaway then isn't that women are actually the thrill seekers of the species. Whether there's any real difference between the sexes when it comes to risk is yet to be determined. The lesson instead is to watch out for circular reasoning.

We assume men are the bigger risk takers so we come to see stereotypically masculine behavior as riskier, reinforcing our original, faulty assumption. It's only by busting your existing biases that you can start to see the world clearly. And when you do, you'll probably notice women take a lot more risks that you previously believed.

Also, about the confidence-gap, it could be a myth:

https://hbr.org/2018/03/is-the-conf...nd-women-a-myth

quote:
Yet, perhaps challenging common wisdom, recent research shows no evidence of a female modesty effect. In achievement-oriented domains, women rate themselves no lower than their male counterparts in leadership-related dimensions. Moreover, studies are finding no consistent gender differences in self-reported self-confidence. That is, women in today’s organizations seem to see themselves as capable as men of succeeding in their professional roles.

In research with Margarita Mayo of IE Business School and Natalia Karelaia of INSEAD, I took a different angle on the confidence factor and its relationship to organizational influence. Regardless of how confident a woman feels, we focused on what we termed self-confidence appearance — that is, the extent to which others perceive a woman as self-confident. Using multisource, time-lag data from a male-dominated technology company employing more than 4,000 people worldwide, we sought to determine how much the appearance of self-confidence increased the extent to which an employee gained influence within the company.

We found that even among similarly high-performing workers, appearing self-confident did not translate into influence equally for men and women. For women, but not for men, influence was closely tied to perceptions of warmth — how caring and prosocial they seemed. Moreover, women’s self-reported confidence did not correlate with how confident these women appeared to others.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 11:12 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by Surtur
Stop appropriating pig culture. Not cool.

Fine. I'll stop watching the View then

Old Post May 24th, 2018 11:15 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Joy Behar thanks you on behalf of all pigs.

Old Post May 24th, 2018 11:35 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

From what I've seen, both can be just as overconfident as the other. Never noticed one being more overconfident than the other.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post May 25th, 2018 01:11 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think it depends on the situation, in some situations, women are much more confident and therefore much more overconfident and in relation to DDDM's excellent points it's been shown most women are more likely to give solstice as that part of there emotional intelligence is usually higher, men, on the other hand, will generally try and be more pragmatic. This is probably due to the different sizes of regions of the brain in men and women. In studies of Chimps, this remains true in all cases except the Alpha male who is likely to appear more caring than the women. It seems empathy may very well go with leadership.

Last edited by Putinbot1 on May 25th, 2018 at 06:55 AM

Old Post May 25th, 2018 06:46 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

And Vice Versa...

Old Post May 25th, 2018 06:49 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

To the contrary, I think women are more likely to overestimate their worth and men are more likely to underestimate their worth.

Girls are socialized to believe they are inherently valuable, i.e. they are valuable by virtue of birth; whereas boys are socialized to believe their value has to be earned, i.e. their value is a function of their utility to others.

So many of my straight male friends do not have an accurate assessment of their worth, and date far beneath themselves. What is worse, they put up with far more than they should, because they do not think they can do better.

Meanwhile, the women they date are much more entitled and demanding than their actual station.

Old Post May 25th, 2018 09:04 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
To the contrary, I think women are more likely to overestimate their worth and men are more likely to underestimate their worth.

Girls are socialized to believe they are inherently valuable, i.e. they are valuable by virtue of birth; whereas boys are socialized to believe their value has to be earned, i.e. their value is a function of their utility to others.

So many of my straight male friends do not have an accurate assessment of their worth, and date far beneath themselves. What is worse, they put up with far more than they should, because they do not think they can do better.

Meanwhile, the women they date are much more entitled and demanding than their actual station.
This is true in the west certainly.

Old Post May 25th, 2018 12:55 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

If you want to know what people really are, just look at a cult. Pure human nature.

One guy with an inflated sense of worth, a bunch of other guys just following his lead. You can sprout all the psycho-babble you want, but this is how human society have organized since forever.

As to why the over-confidence? Because you can be David, or you can be all those other guys who weren't getting any.

None of the women in that cult hooked up with the others guys. Not a one.

"But they were emotionally vulnerable. [Insert mental health bs here.]

Maybe.. just maybe, humans are exactly like this by nature. We're Harvey Weinstens, and luckless losers, and gold diggers. We don't give two shits about people, other then what we can get out of them.

And maybe the masses worship celebrities because every queen needs worker bees, Every ant colony needs soldiers.

If not that, then why don't the losers organize themselves against the winners? How come everyone throws themselves at the feet of those that got, and are in such a hurry to give them even more.

I'm no expert in the field of human nature, I just see how people act, and assume maybe this is just how people act..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 25th, 2018 01:28 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
If you want to know what people really are, just look at a cult.

*looks at the left*

Good point.

Old Post May 25th, 2018 01:41 PM