KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is "fairness" uniquely American?

Is "fairness" uniquely American?
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Is "fairness"uniquely American?

I have quite a few non American friends, and they seem to consider the idea that people should be treated equally, ignoring gender, race ect as almost.. childish.

My Indian friends, for example, have a pretty set in stone role for males/females in their culture.

British males have attitudes that would be considered misogynistic.. I mean, they talk about women like they're sex objects. These same Brits also love to chastise "Yanks" about any impropriaties, but I wonder if that's because they're SJW's, or if they know Americans are obsessed with this stuff, and like to tease us of it.

I mean, didn't the English starve the Irish? Yet, no shame for it. Irish and English get alone just fine.

Really,, I can't think of many other cultures that take their social politics so seriously. At least, none that I know.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 05:01 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Re: Is "fairness"uniquely American?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm

I mean, didn't the English starve the Irish? Yet, no shame for it. Irish and English get alone just fine.

Why don't you ask a Native American or African American if fairness is uniquely American?

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 08:49 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

British males have attitudes that would be considered misogynistic.. I mean, they talk about women like they're sex objects.

Don't really agree with that, I mean of course English men may talk to each other about women in a negative or patronizing fashion at times but hardly misogynistic. Ask any woman who has ever drank on her own at a bar in the States if she enjoys a line of men queuing up to give her shitty lines and saying things like, 'If you don't want to talk to me, then why are you here on your own?' Happens in England too but it happened on a daily basis when I lived in NY. (I was behind the bar, not being the sleazy male, LOL.)

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 11:43 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Re: Is "fairness"uniquely American?

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Why don't you ask a Native American or African American if fairness is uniquely American?

I asked a native Irishman who was friends with an Englishman if there were any tensions over the Irish Potatoe Famine. They said, not bit. At all.

A lot of people died from that event. It was ethnically targeted. It was a type of slavery, really. It's the kind of event you could argue a people SHOULD feel guilty over, or that the victims should harbor resentment.

But they don't.

That's what I'm asking.

It just seems like most other countries don't really have the same political baggage over their atrocities that we do, nor do they really seem to put much stock into our social politics.

I was actually pretty shocked to find out British schools don't even have anything like the various student activists we have here in the states. I mean, our educational system was taken direct from England, and yet they don't have SJW's? And claim they even laugh at all the stock we put into social politics?

And I've heard the same from others, from various countries.

I know Canada is probably even MORE oriented towards social politics then the US, but there' seems probably a shared history element to that..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 12:21 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

There are plenty of SJW's in Britain and plenty of marches too, perhaps it's not reported as much in US media. In regards to US social politics it does seem to me like the media is going all out to romanticize it and certain groups lap it up because the media exposure leads them to believe that real social change is on the horizon, and what teenager doesn't want to say they were a part of social change when they are older? Growing up hearing about Woodstock, women's lib, the Million Man March and things like that, people want their own stories to tell their grandkids.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2018 01:02 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Umm, no we don't. I mean, it's not as bad as it was before, but still.

And they tried to wipe us out. Literal attempted genocide.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 09:27 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Re: Is "fairness"uniquely American?

Originally posted by -Pr-
Umm, no we don't. I mean, it's not as bad as it was before, but still.

And they tried to wipe us out. Literal attempted genocide.

Interesting.

It appears my English friends were blowing smoke up my "bum" about there being no hard feelings for (As you say) attempted genocide.

And the very kind Irish friends didn't want to contradict them.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 12:03 PM
samhain
The Demon Hunter

There are still tensions there but I see a lot of it as being down to the fact that not a lot of English know too much/care too much about the history and when those people are in the same room as a 'professional' Irishman, the sparks can fly.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 12:07 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have quite a few non American friends, and they seem to consider the idea that people should be treated equally, ignoring gender, race ect as almost.. childish.

My Indian friends, for example, have a pretty set in stone role for males/females in their culture.

British males have attitudes that would be considered misogynistic.. I mean, they talk about women like they're sex objects. These same Brits also love to chastise "Yanks" about any impropriaties, but I wonder if that's because they're SJW's, or if they know Americans are obsessed with this stuff, and like to tease us of it.

Really,, I can't think of many other cultures that take their social politics so seriously. At least, none that I know.

With all that is happening in the UK now(and Europe in general) you should be able to easily shut these f*ckers down by pointing out that kind of shit. Two words: nazi dog.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 04:05 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Interesting.

It appears my English friends were blowing smoke up my "bum" about there being no hard feelings for (As you say) attempted genocide.

I'm sure they genuinely believed what they told you. Which actually makes it worse lol.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 04:08 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

The Land of U.K. Truly it is filled with Horrible HORRIBLE People!!

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 06:04 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

half surprised this thread wasn't saying "the idea of fairness is made by the rich people who own everything so they can control everyone else like sheep while we all think we have principles"

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 06:47 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Emperordmb
half surprised this thread wasn't saying "the idea of fairness is made by the rich people who own everything so they can control everyone else like sheep while we all think we have principles"

Works for Disney. They are the Biggest Bully on the Block and will Crush all who stand in their way but their Fans act like they are all sugar and honey. While said Fans attend 99%'ers rallys and proclaim all Big Corps are EVIL to the Core.

Fans are stupid.

laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 06:57 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Flyattractor
The Land of U.K. Truly it is filled with Horrible HORRIBLE People!!

So. True.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 07:15 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by Emperordmb

Nah, they just don't practice what they preach, and use their resources to make sure nobody ever sees the skeletons in their closets.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2018 10:26 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Interesting.

It's largely this:

Originally posted by samhain
There are still tensions there but I see a lot of it as being down to the fact that not a lot of English know too much/care too much about the history and when those people are in the same room as a 'professional' Irishman, the sparks can fly.

They're not told how scummy the empire was in places like Ireland and India. The truth is, the average English person is fine. They're good people in general, like in most places.

There are still tensions, but it's not between most Irish and most English. It's the kind of people that believe that the British empire is still as relevant as it was (largely politicians and the upper, upper class), and that Ireland should say "how high" during the Brexit border issue in Northern Ireland.

I am curious though: What kind of social politics were you talking about in the OP that you don't think are taken seriously in other countries?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 21st, 2018 05:07 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by -Pr-
It's largely this:

They're not told how scummy the empire was in places like Ireland and India. The truth is, the average English person is fine. They're good people in general, like in most places.

There are still tensions, but it's not between most Irish and most English. It's the kind of people that believe that the British empire is still as relevant as it was (largely politicians and the upper, upper class), and that Ireland should say "how high" during the Brexit border issue in Northern Ireland.

I am curious though: What kind of social politics were you talking about in the OP that you don't think are taken seriously in other countries?
Good Post.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 07:24 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Says the guy who works for the Even Scummier Middle East Empires.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 07:26 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Says the guy who works for the Even Scummier Middle East Empires.
I thought that's who Kushner worked for? I am now working in Africa... I love being an international man of mystery my retarded, drug-addled fellow poster.

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 07:34 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Putinbot1
I thought that's who Kushner worked for? I am now working in Africa... I love being an international man of mystery my retarded, drug-addled fellow poster.

Yeah because Africa is in no way Controlled or Connected to the Middle East.

Not in ANY WAY!

You work for Big Oil. You are Evil Incarnate. And that is according to the people on your own political spectrum to.

laughing

Old Post Jun 22nd, 2018 07:43 PM