KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should social media be regulated?

Should social media be regulated?
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Should social media be regulated?

Or would regulating them leave us in a far worse situation?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 05:04 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I dunno. We better ask the Mods first...

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 05:37 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Most social media is regulated one way or another. I think the system works fine, for the most part.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:35 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Would you feel the same way if instead of morons like Alex Jones, it was shows like The Young Turks that were getting banned?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:59 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I think they can regulate themselves just fine. I would be very uncomfortable if the government began regulating social media websites, which are private enterprises. In fact, if the government began to regulate who could and couldn't use these platforms rather than the companies themselves, I would consider it an infringement of free speech, as they would be halting the ability of these websites to exercise their free speech in choosing who to allow and disallow onto their platforms.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 09:18 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Silent Master
Would you feel the same way if instead of morons like Alex Jones, it was shows like The Young Turks that were getting banned?

I absolutely despise Young Turks, so yes, I would feel the same way.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 11:04 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Fair enough.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 11:12 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BackFire
I think they can regulate themselves just fine. I would be very uncomfortable if the government began regulating social media websites, which are private enterprises. In fact, if the government began to regulate who could and couldn't use these platforms rather than the companies themselves, I would consider it an infringement of free speech, as they would be halting the ability of these websites to exercise their free speech in choosing who to allow and disallow onto their platforms.

To me one "regulates themselves just fine" when the rules they put up are equally applied all across the board to all users. At least that should be part of fine regulation. Making sure some aren't allowed to skirt the rules.

And although it's not a social media platform, Patreon just booted a dude who under their own terms of service did nothing wrong. They booted him cuz mastercard told them to do so. And as we move more and more away from paper money to digital currency you will see shit like this more and more.

Government regulation would be disturbing, but yet it seems the road we are on is also disturbing.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 11:22 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Self regulation is mostly fine, maybe some general rules of proper conduct should be put forth that most everyone can agree on, but even then, probably not necessary. eg Facebook acted like shit, they got called out; now they're scrambling to right themselves.

As far as Patreon kicking out Islamophobe Robert Spencer, they're a private business; I thought private businesses were supposed to be able to do business with who they wish?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 04:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by Robtard
As far as Patreon kicking out Islamophobe Robert Spencer, they're a private business; I thought private businesses were supposed to be able to do business with who they wish?

Just to clarify, it was not Patreon that broke ties with Robert Spencer, it was Mastercard that stopped giving Robert Spencer service, and that cut his ties with Patreon.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 04:28 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I was just going with what Surt said. MasterCard is also a private business no? They turn down people all the time.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 04:36 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snowdragon

Re: Should social media be regulated?

Originally posted by Surtur
Or would regulating them leave us in a far worse situation?

We don't want the govt sticking their hands into this pie.

In the case of patreon it wasn't the fault of said service but of mastercard. So regulating patreon wouldn't have done anything here.

What's going to end up happening is that certain social media platforms will come under closer scrutiny as bannings and other things occur due to the definition of publishers vs platforms.

Not to mention this does leave open a certain niche for those that are kicked off said platforms to build their own.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 06:02 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
I was just going with what Surt said. MasterCard is also a private business no? They turn down people all the time.

It's true, but I do see it as disturbing since in the future currency will be digital which means these places will have more power than ever.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:09 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

And then it gets messy when you have the government coming and saying Trump can't ban people on twitter, etc.

That's a private company too.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:11 PM
BackFire

Originally posted by Surtur
To me one "regulates themselves just fine" when the rules they put up are equally applied all across the board to all users. At least that should be part of fine regulation. Making sure some aren't allowed to skirt the rules.

And although it's not a social media platform, Patreon just booted a dude who under their own terms of service did nothing wrong. They booted him cuz mastercard told them to do so. And as we move more and more away from paper money to digital currency you will see shit like this more and more.

Government regulation would be disturbing, but yet it seems the road we are on is also disturbing.

I don't find a private business deciding who can and cannot use their service to be particularly disturbing. They have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. If you or any other user have a problem with a decision they make, you have the power to make your voice heard via boycotting or making a stink about it on twitter. Government regulation would not solve anything in this regard, in fact I think it would probably make social media even more political and instances like what you mention even more likely, as such choices would probably be part of the governmental ebb and flow of which party is in control and which isn't.

EDIT: I guess I can see your point about mastercard deciding not to allow someone to use their service, it could potentially set a dangerous precident I suppose, but for now when you also have Visa and AMEX and Paypall being available, it's not a particularly big deal.

Last edited by BackFire on Aug 17th, 2018 at 08:39 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:37 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I fully believe people should be able to do business with who they want.

On the other hand I don't want to eventually have corporations have nigh total control of us.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:47 PM
BackFire

And if the government does their job and doesn't allow monopolies to form, that won't be a problem.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:50 PM
Silent Master

Too late

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:51 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Anti-trust?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 08:52 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course Social Media needs regulating, in all sorts of ways, to stop it using your data for nefarious means. To stop it being used as social control, engineering for nefarious purposes etc. As ever the problem is who can you trust to do it?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2018 09:46 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote