KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is gender a social construct?

Is gender a social construct?
Started by: DarthSkywalker0

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2018 10:35 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

What should the thread title be? I’ll fix it.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 10:05 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthSkywalker0
The Insane Jedi Master

Is gender really a social construct?

"I killed them, of course. Just as I killed the Guardian. Just as I now kill you."

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 02:29 PM
DarthSkywalker0 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthSkywalker0 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthSkywalker0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
Is gender really a social construct?

Also check this out:

Sex differences in rhesus monkey toy preferences parallel those of children

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 02:35 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Fixed.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 06:19 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Gender, no
Gender roles, yes

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 06:56 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

It is in the same sense that "race" is big grin

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 07:16 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Funny thing is that even if it is a social construct, that means it's socially negotiated, not something you can just ascribe to yourself on nothing more than your own whim and expect everyone else to conform to viewing you that way.

Like for example, what is considered politeness is a social construct determined by the culture of one's society, but that doesn't mean you can run around cussing everyone out and masturbating in public then say "well it's a social construct and I identify as a polite and dignified person so therefore you have to refer to me as that."

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 24th, 2018 07:23 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Partly. Biology still matters.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2018 07:51 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Funny thing is that even if it is a social construct, that means it's socially negotiated, not something you can just ascribe to yourself on nothing more than your own whim and expect everyone else to conform to viewing you that way.

Like for example, what is considered politeness is a social construct determined by the culture of one's society, but that doesn't mean you can run around cussing everyone out and masturbating in public then say "well it's a social construct and I identify as a polite and dignified person so therefore you have to refer to me as that."

If it's a social construct hopefully we can stop giving hormone blockers to young teens.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2018 08:10 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I mean, yes, according to Google's definition of the word gender.

quote:
the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).

Old Post Aug 25th, 2018 08:59 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Ellimist
The Shadow

Originally posted by NewGuy01

That's not the spirit of the question.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 05:25 AM
The Ellimist is currently offline Click here to Send The Ellimist a Private Message Find more posts by The Ellimist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Oh Well GOSH! If GOOGLE says it....

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 05:54 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

There's also a very bizarre logical contradiction. They argue against gender stereotypes, against the idea that men and women are the same... and yet somehow someone with a penis can feel like a woman, as if a man could not feel that way and still be a man because apparently being psychologically male or female is legitimate despite their protests that there are no legitimate differences between men and women that could cause the wage gap. What's more is that this is often performed through gender stereotypes. I myself feel like a man I suppose, but I have no experience feeling like a woman, whatever that means, so I have little point of reference aside from the social norms and stereotypes around men and women... which means transgender identification is likely a decision based around accepting and playing into gender stereotypes... which I thought these people were supposed to be against?

What's also ironic is that the best defense transgender people have, just like gays, is that it's a quantifiable innate characteristic linked to biology and thus something that can't just be dispensed with... however the more radical aspects of this movement undermine this claim by suggesting this weird gender-blender non-binary fluid upside down triangle bullshit where you can identify as whatever you want based purely on whim.

If it's based on whim, where it's perfectly acceptable for some people to just swap through genders on a daily or monthly basis or make up new shit with no clear definition or parameters, then why should anyone be compelled to alter how their use of language and how they conceptually categorize someone?

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 07:15 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Our society really is becoming a joke, and not even a funny one.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 07:46 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Zed
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gender and gender roles are almost binary (almost)

It's not that gender is a construct of society, rather that society, built and maintained by mostly (white) men, is a construct of evolutionary rules. One of those rules is that men are men and women are women. Quite simple when you think about it really.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 09:05 AM
Lord Zed is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Zed a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Zed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Which is the accepted definition in all dictionaries I've ever seen... It's a retarded thread where someone doesn't understand the meaning of a word and wants others to discuss the meaning as they want the meaning to be.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 09:40 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Putinbot1
Which is the accepted definition in all dictionaries I've ever seen... It's a retarded thread where someone doesn't understand the meaning of a word and wants others to discuss the meaning as they want the meaning to be.

There must be a dictionary for retards and incels and retarded incels. Only real explanation.

Wondering if one of our retard incel members can post a link.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 10:03 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
There must be a dictionary for retards and incels and retarded incels. Only real explanation.

Wondering if one of our retard incel members can post a link.
They are complete ****ing idiots Rob. thumb up

Old Post Sep 7th, 2018 10:06 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Cute couple.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2018 12:13 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote