KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Reporter arrested for taking pictures in public

Reporter arrested for taking pictures in public
Started by: darthgoober

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthgoober

Reporter arrested for taking pictures in public

So here's the story. Some guy's mentally ill, naked(or nearly so), and the cops are trying to handle the situation. Lady reporter walks up and starts taking pictures and they tell her to stop taking pictures and leave. She refuses, they arrest her...
https://youtu.be/S5-UC-8aQOY

Personally I say the cops f*cked up and she should sue the department. What do you guys think?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 10:17 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Just going off the OP and not the link, the cops asked her to leave and stop snapping pics, so she would have presumably been allowed to keep the ones she had already taken. If the story was nothing more than, 'Mentally Ill Man Arrested In The Nude', then she probably should have just left. If she stood there gawking and smiling and reveling in her 'big break' then she likely wasn't helping the situation. Cops should probably just put her in the back of a car until the situation was dealt with and let her go.

If she was there to ensure the mentally ill man suffered no harm at the hands of the police then that may be a different story.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 10:37 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by samhain
Just going off the OP and not the link, the cops asked her to leave and stop snapping pics, so she would have presumably been allowed to keep the ones she had already taken. If the story was nothing more than, 'Mentally Ill Man Arrested In The Nude', then she probably should have just left. If she stood there gawking and smiling and reveling in her 'big break' then she likely wasn't helping the situation. Cops should probably just put her in the back of a car until the situation was dealt with and let her go.

If she was there to ensure the mentally ill man suffered no harm at the hands of the police then that may be a different story.

I agree she should have left. I think the cops were also wrong, but the thing to do would be to leave and then report the cops.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 10:39 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

See I gotta disagree with you guys. The supreme court has already made it clear that no one has a reasonable expectation to privacy in public. This especially holds true for cops. I think she absolutely did the right thing because her arrest makes it more of an issue. If she complained they prob just would have just told her something like "Yeah our guys were in the wrong, they know not to do that anymore". But winning a lawsuit actually sends a message to cops everywhere and lets more people know about just how far their rights extend.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 11:08 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

She'll be cleared and the cops have some trouble on their hands, now.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 11:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by darthgoober
See I gotta disagree with you guys. The supreme court has already made it clear that no one has a reasonable expectation to privacy in public. This especially holds true for cops. I think she absolutely did the right thing because her arrest makes it more of an issue. If she complained they prob just would have just told her something like "Yeah our guys were in the wrong, they know not to do that anymore". But winning a lawsuit actually sends a message to cops everywhere and lets more people know about just how far their rights extend.

She would have still had the cops on video telling her to leave tho...

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 11:21 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Surtur
She would have still had the cops on video telling her to leave tho...

It's still better to demonstrate just how far outside the lines they were willing to operate.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 11:22 PM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm going to go with Goober here I think all cops should wear cams themselves, to be honest when interacting in actual incidents for there safety and the people they are interacting with.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2018 11:43 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Originally posted by Putinbot1
I'm going to go with Goober here I think all cops should wear cams themselves, to be honest when interacting in actual incidents for there safety and the people they are interacting with.

More and more are doing so supposedly, I don't know if legislation was passed for this or not and I don't know if the money is there to roll this out nationwide but I think it's a good idea, as long as it's used in the right way. Who would be in charge of reviewing the footage of an officers d2d activities in the event of a lawsuit against the police. A review board of some sort would have to be set up I suppose but it would have to be completely autonomous and independent of the police, unlike the IPCC.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Aug 31st, 2018 12:05 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know we are in the UK I think the yanks should follow suit. They have far more issues than us as a nation.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2018 11:22 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by darthgoober

I thought those buildings looked familiar. That's in front of the Colorado State Capitol building on Colfax Avenue in Denver. I'm going to try and catch George Thorogood playing at the nearby park there tomorrow.

The cops are in the wrong. Like **** the Freedom of the Press doesn't supercede HIPAA's privacy law regarding something occurring in public. I'm pretty sure HIPAA only deals with the unlawful disclosure of one's medical records.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2018 11:36 AM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Sounds like they were in the wrong, but I'm also pretty sure the press freedoms aren't absolute. Not 100% sure where the lines are..

If her presences/pictures were agitating the guy, and posed a safety issue, the maybe?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2018 12:44 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by cdtm
Sounds like they were in the wrong, but I'm also pretty sure the press freedoms aren't absolute. Not 100% sure where the lines are..

If her presences/pictures were agitating the guy, and posed a safety issue, the maybe?

She was taking pictures of a man apparently in some kind of pain or distress from several yards away on one of Denver's major streets. I can't think of any law she may have broken, or any way she'd complicated the situation. The police threw out some bullshit about the First Amendment not superseding HIPPA's privacy law, yet she probably had none of the man's personal or medical information. Even if she did, she could report the story without identifying him, and avoid breaking any laws.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2018 12:58 PM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

The dude was naked? And she was smiling with taking the pictures?

What a perverted woman. She might be the mentally ill one, tbh.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2018 06:08 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote