KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » At the risk of sounding like a curmeduggeon...

At the risk of sounding like a curmeduggeon...
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

At the risk of sounding like a curmeduggeon...

I kind of think my generation sucks.

Within 5/10 years of me, I can think of a ton of people who:

1. Gave up good jobs for really.trivial reasons, when they weren't working (And some still aren't)

2. Break off marriages for the stupidest of reasons. Say, because the wife nagged them over spending a night together, instead of playing video games (I sincerely wish I was making that up.

3. If a relative is in need, can be counted on to ship you off to a home at best. And then wash their hands of you.

The older generations had their problems, but at least the golden oldies and older boomers did right by their families, and could roll with the punch's. A lot of the younger one's (e.g. mine) really do seem like "man/woman children" by comparison.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 01:17 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Anecdotes>data. Feelings>facts.

*curmudgeon

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 02:04 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

*carmageddon

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 02:07 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

*cars4:carharder

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 02:13 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Anecdotes>data. Feelings>facts.

*curmudgeon

Bah.

Nah, totally justified criticism. I expected that going into this.

Still think I'm totally, completely right about it. I just can't see many people spending 60+ years together anymore, especially if things turn south. Much less going the extra mile caring for their ailing folks, looking after their worthless kids, just rolling with the significant others nagging and all the crap at work, giving up vacation time, just dealing with what life throws at you without being a total dick about it..

Everyone's entitled now, everyone thinks they're the star of their own little show, and everyone talks about how bad everyone else is, yet would never put themselves out on someone else's behalf, ever.

And yeah, that's a broad brush I'm painting with, and yeah there's plenty of other examples to say different.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 02:14 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

In a world of rapidly changing technology and social norms, and a very near future beset with all the advantages and challenges that extended life, AI, and automation brings, it might be worth considering if the norms of the past humans are worthy of preserving in a world of upgraded humans. A "lifetime" of marriage used to mean 60 years if you were extremely fortunate. Now it's expected. Soon it won't be considered a lifetime. Long-lived humans with exceptional health aren't as likely to value "lifelong" pairings if "lifelong" is measured in centuries. Or millennia. Boredom and passe will still be a thing.

Also, all of recorded history features an older generation complaining about their successors, and retrophiles in rose-tinted glasses bemoaning a fading, superior past. It's a very old cliche.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Jan 10th, 2019 at 02:26 AM

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 02:22 AM
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shut up carver

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 02:24 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Re: At the risk of sounding like a curmeduggeon...

Originally posted by cdtm
You are only about the 9 billionth person or so in human history to think that.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 03:12 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

You make great points and I think the same of millennials. They just suck.

Too many SJWs. Too many stupid "liberal" beliefs about relationships. And think that we need a hefty hefty "work-life" balance which basically means letting them take off work on a Wednesday because they got drunk Tuesday and have a hangover and want to sleep all day.

I don't like millenials, in general. Just a shitty generation.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 03:47 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jessica Tandy
Restricted

Account Restricted

Bah.

Nah, totally justified criticism. I expected that going into this.

Still think I'm totally, completely right about it. I just can't see many people spending 60+ years together anymore, especially if things turn south. Much less going the extra mile caring for their ailing folks, looking after their worthless kids, just rolling with the significant others nagging and all the crap at work, giving up vacation time, just dealing with what life throws at you without being a total dick about it..

Everyone's entitled now, everyone thinks they're the star of their own little show, and everyone talks about how bad everyone else is, yet would never put themselves out on someone else's behalf, ever.

And yeah, that's a broad brush I'm painting with, and yeah there's plenty of other examples to say different.

You started thinking about people and possibilities in an emotional and abstract way. That’s where you ****ed up.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 06:40 AM
Jessica Tandy is currently offline Click here to Send Jessica Tandy a Private Message Find more posts by Jessica Tandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trump God

Originally posted by dadudemon

Too many SJWs. Too many stupid "liberal" beliefs about relationships. And think that we need a hefty hefty "work-life" balance which basically means letting them take off work on a Wednesday because they got drunk Tuesday and have a hangover and want to sleep all day.

This is right. Thank you, remember to vote Trump again and support him.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 11:47 AM
Trump God is currently offline Click here to Send Trump God a Private Message Find more posts by Trump God Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I have no practical sense of how to live life but your generation makes me look great. Keep that up

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 12:05 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

All people under the age of 40 are lazy and stupid. Cdtm is correct.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 12:09 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CroftAlice

Splendid,a new word added in the dictionary

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 04:17 PM
CroftAlice is currently offline Click here to Send CroftAlice a Private Message Find more posts by CroftAlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: At the risk of sounding like a curmeduggeon...

Within 5/10 years of me, I can think of a ton of people who:

1. Gave up good jobs for really.trivial reasons, when they weren't working (And some still aren't)

2. Break off marriages for the stupidest of reasons. Say, because the wife nagged them over spending a night together, instead of playing video games (I sincerely wish I was making that up.

3. If a relative is in need, can be counted on to ship you off to a home at best. And then wash their hands of you.

The older generations had their problems, but at least the golden oldies and older boomers did right by their families, and could roll with the punch's. A lot of the younger one's (e.g. mine) really do seem like "man/woman children" by comparison.

For #2 I think this has to do with people who get married way too soon. If you're ending a marriage for silly reasons you were never ready for it in the first place. A couple should at least live together for a few years before they decide to get married.

As for relatives, that depends on the situation. Sometimes a relative might need care you just can't give. Though I think if you have room in your home and have the money to take care of them...doing so is preferable to a nursing home.

I'd honestly rather die than be placed in a nursing home.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 05:11 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by dadudemon

Originally posted by Putinbot1
All people under the age of 40 are lazy and stupid. Cdtm is correct.

Lolz

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 10th, 2019 08:05 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote