KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » USA vs Europe (whose free speech is more free)

USA vs Europe (whose free speech is more free)
Started by: SamZED

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SamZED

USA vs Europe (whose free speech is more free)

By Europe I mean UK, Germany and other countries where free speech is an actual real thing.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 07:03 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

EU Article 13

/Thread

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 07:09 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

There was a story of a woman getting arrested in either England or Germany for accidentally Mia gendered someone.

The EU has nothing that can compare to the US Constitution.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 07:27 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

is there a reason were' comparing a country to a continent?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 08:28 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang

Did you forget that about the European Union which has a common currency, and many laws and regulations that govern those member countries?

They share a much closure relationship than the US and Canada.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 08:32 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by dadudemon
Did you forget that about the European Union which has a common currency, and many laws and regulations that govern those member countries?

They share a much closure relationship than the US and Canada.

So?

European states vary vastly in terms of "freedom".

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 09:48 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Because that's what the thread starter wants to talk about.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 10:57 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

The top three countries named "most free" are all in Europe, so there's your answer.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 11:29 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SquallX
There was a story of a woman getting arrested in either England or Germany for accidentally Mia gendered someone.

The EU has nothing that can compare to the US Constitution.

Oh no she didn't accidentally do it lol. She did it on purpose, but I don't see why that matters either as she stated a fact.

Remember though: 3000 people a year are arrested in the UK for online hate speech lol.

The cops legit investigated a dude who retweeted a limerick about transgender people. Yes you read that correctly: he didn't even write the limerick, just retweeted it.

I think Germany also has some wacky online hate speech laws, but I'm also 99% sure saying the holocaust didn't happen is illegal lol. Which is silly, but there it is.

EDIT: Yeah.. Germany definitely isn't getting the win here:

https://newrepublic.com/article/147...acebook-twitter

"In the United States, many people know that to use Nazi symbols in Germany, to deny the Holocaust, or to inveigh against foreigners is to risk prison. But few realize that even to call a politician a liar or an ******* is to invite a costly defamation suit. (A few years ago, a friend of my mother’s had to pay a big fine for flipping off a motorist who cut her off when she was cycling to work.)"

Last edited by Surtur on Feb 21st, 2019 at 01:02 PM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 12:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Are there no such examples in the US?

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 01:24 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by MythLord
The top three countries named "most free" are all in Europe, so there's your answer.

Lol name the countries.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 01:32 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by MythLord
Truthfully no one is as free as an expat in a 3rd world country.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 03:23 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mike brown

There's not an equivalent of the first amendment in any of the European countries, is there?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 03:28 PM
mike brown is currently offline Click here to Send mike brown a Private Message Find more posts by mike brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

So?

European states vary vastly in terms of "freedom".

According to that site, members of the EU, which is almost all of Europe, do not vary significantly in their Freedom.

smile

Would you like to know why? The EU has "freedom" and rights laws that govern how members states can treat people.

I sure hope your enjoy this new bit of knowledge. You are more educated for having had this conversation with me. Be grateful that you have someone like me in your life to expand your knowledge and rid you of you assumptive ignorance.

For more reading and to familiarize yourself with the EU, please visit this site and the supplemental links.

https://europa.eu/european-union/topics/human-rights_en

FYI, to many citizens of the EU, they take pride in their rights, protections, and freedoms. The EU is something to be proud of for the most part. Sure, member states have plenty of autonomy, but now you know why people would group Europe in with "freedoms" when talking about countries and their freedoms around the world.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 04:03 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
According to that site, members of the EU, which is almost all of Europe, do not vary significantly in their Freedom.

smile

Would you like to know why? The EU has "freedom" and rights laws that govern how members states can treat people.

I sure hope your enjoy this new bit of knowledge. You are more educated for having had this conversation with me. Be grateful that you have someone like me in your life to expand your knowledge and rid you of you assumptive ignorance.

For more reading and to familiarize yourself with the EU, please visit this site and the supplemental links.

https://europa.eu/european-union/topics/human-rights_en

FYI, to many citizens of the EU, they take pride in their rights, protections, and freedoms. The EU is something to be proud of for the most part. Sure, member states have plenty of autonomy, but now you know why people would group Europe in with "freedoms" when talking about countries and their freedoms around the world.
Yup, I value it so much I got an Irish passport.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 04:10 PM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Valkorion
Nova

obviously america

america is the only country in all of history that has something close to true political free speech

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 06:23 PM
Valkorion is currently offline Click here to Send Valkorion a Private Message Find more posts by Valkorion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Originally posted by Surtur
Lol name the countries.

Finland, Norway, Sweden.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 06:36 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Finland: Hate speech laws and blasphemy laws
Sweden: Hate speech laws
Norway: Hate speech laws

Bullshit

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 06:55 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Finland: Hate speech laws and blasphemy laws
Sweden: Hate speech laws
Norway: Hate speech laws

Bullshit
I think that speech laws provide freedom for minorities. I know you don't though.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 06:57 PM
Valkorion
Nova

Originally posted by Putinbot1
I think that speech laws provide freedom for minorities. I know you don't though.

you know that lots of hate speech cases were actually for anti-religion and anti-christian speech right

Old Post Feb 21st, 2019 07:04 PM
Valkorion is currently offline Click here to Send Valkorion a Private Message Find more posts by Valkorion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote