KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » How was Hiroshima and Nagasaki not a War Crime?

How was Hiroshima and Nagasaki not a War Crime?
Started by: TempAccount

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

How was Hiroshima and Nagasaki not a War Crime?

The phrase "Winners get to write history" couldn't be more accurate when it comes to the many shady things the United States has done over the centuries. One of the worst atrocities it has committed, in my mind, was the dropping of nukes on Japan:

quote:
‘A crime against humanity’

In Hiroshima, an estimated 80,000 people were killed in a split second on Aug. 6. Some 13 square kilometers of the city were obliterated. By December, at least another 70,000 people had died from radiation and injuries. Three days later, on Aug. 9, the U.S. dropped an A-bomb on Nagasaki, resulting in the deaths of at least 70,000 people before the year was out. About 10 percent of the casualties were Koreans forced to work in Japan at the time.

Source

When we put our objective thinking caps on, it is hard to see just how this act could not be considered a crime against humanity / war crime / genocidal act.

Harry Truman was a war criminal no better than Hitler. He was a racist against Japanese:

quote:
We'll never know if Truman's attitudes toward minorities -- including his comment in 1911 to Bess that he hated "Japs" -- influenced his decision to drop two atomic bombs at a point when the Japanese were already militarily devastated and seeking acceptable surrender terms. Truman understood that he was embarking on a course that could ultimately bring the extinction of mankind.

Truman always insisted that he felt "no remorse" over that decision, about which, he commented, he "never lost a minute's sleep." Condoleezza Rice picked Truman as man of the last century in an interview with Time magazine, but he was no hero to most of his contemporaries. Those who subsequently orchestrated his historical revitalization have often used his refurbished image to justify a conservative political agenda.

Source

Arguments for this being classified as war crimes:

quote:
Kuznick and Selden put most of the blame on Truman. “He knew he was begin ning the process of annihilation of the species,” says Kuznick, “It was not just a war crime; it was a crime against humanity.”

Bolton continued: “The definition of ‘war crimes’ includes, for example: ‘intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population as such or against individual civilians not taking direct part in hostilities.’”

Bolton wrote that under the ICC rules, U.S. leaders could have been found guilty of a war crime for dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and for all the aerial bombardments of German and Japanese civilian areas.

The A-bombs were not the only crimes. U.S. nighttime raids using conventional bombs against residential areas of Tokyo, Osaka and other industrial cities caused hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilian deaths, and Dresden, Germany, was obliterated in early 1945, killing mainly refugees. But Truman’s decision opened the door to massive use of these new terror bombs.

Source

TL;DR

- Truman was noted to be a racist against the Japanese (also black people too, fun fact)
- The bombs were dropped purely for political purposes against the USSR
- Truman was ready to annihilate Japan (genocidal) if two nukes didn't do it
- Japan was already blockaded, being invaded by USSR. They would have surrendered very soon without the nukes being dropped.
- The United States gets away with war crimes all the damn time.

Banzai Nippon! ばんざい にっぽん!

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 01:11 AM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Don't start none, won't be none.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 01:32 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Silent Master

This, all day and every day.

How many innocent people were murdered at Pearl Harbor?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 01:53 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TempAccount
Nippon Daisuki

Originally posted by Impediment
This, all day and every day.

How many innocent people were murdered at Pearl Harbor?
Absolutely no comparison. Pearl harbor had 68 civilian deaths. Only 2500 total including military casualties. Dropping a WMD on urban cities is a whole other level.

Plus the it was the US Imperialists who were provoking the Japanese with embargos and occupations of South-east Asia.

Banzai Nippon! ばんざい にっぽん!

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 02:31 AM
TempAccount is currently offline Click here to Send TempAccount a Private Message Find more posts by TempAccount Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

"Only 2500".

Where does one draw the line on innocent deaths?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 02:58 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Rape of Nanking

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 03:06 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

KMC is so slow that people are arguing with overt trolls.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 04:05 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

War is War. If you want to discuss morality, I believe it was the morally correct thing for the U.S. to end the war as quickly and as totally as possible. Nagasaki and Hiroshima made it very clear.

Do not f*ck with the U.S. There has yet to be a hot World War since. Compared to the preceding....well everything of human history, that's a goddamn miracle.

Also this:

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 04:37 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Talk shit get hit. The only war crime was dropping just two.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 04:42 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Talk shit get hit. The only war crime was dropping just two.
thumb up

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 06:48 AM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

This is laughable. Guess what? What about all the crimes Japan committed throughout their history? Have we called them out on it?

I so hate when Westerns who lives cushy lives, especially in the United States jump on their soapbox and preach idiocy and how evil the United States is/are.

Don’t get me wrong, we can always open dialogues of the past. Just know if you come in with a I am superior to you attitude, you will be called out.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 08:53 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

My uncle died in his 50's in 1978 because of the way he was treated as a POW by Japan. I have Japanese friends, it's the past, long ago. Dropping the bombs saved allied lives, and in a war which had gone on too long and seen too many allies die, it needed to happen.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 10:27 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by SquallX
This is laughable. Guess what? What about all the crimes Japan committed throughout their history? Have we called them out on it?

I so hate when Westerns who lives cushy lives, especially in the United States jump on their soapbox and preach idiocy and how evil the United States is/are.

Don’t get me wrong, we can always open dialogues of the past. Just know if you come in with a I am superior to you attitude, you will be called out.

Nobody is forbidding you for making a thread about japanese crimes. Go bonkers

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 10:38 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hayama
Restricted

Account Restricted

to my mind it was war crime.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 11:05 AM
hayama is currently offline Click here to Send hayama a Private Message Find more posts by hayama Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

This was a War Crime, yes. "B-but Pearl Harbour" isn't a good defense, since it had far, far fewer deaths and was specifically targetting millitary bases. Nearby hospitals and civilians points were untouched. Plus it wasn't used as a testing grounds for radioactive properties.

This isn't to say the Japanese were exactly innocent. They also committed a lot War Crimes themselves, so I guess you could say they had it coming.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 11:19 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 11:51 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Some people may not like it, but I don't believe it's ever been ruled a war crime.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 12:48 PM
Adam_PoE

Sometimes when you mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 02:16 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

So American troops invading Japan and beginning what could have been the bloodiest battle ever is a better option?

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 02:30 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by TempAccount
The phrase "Winners get to write history" couldn't be more accurate when it comes to the many shady things the United States has done over the centuries. One of the worst atrocities it has committed, in my mind, was the dropping of nukes on Japan:

Source

When we put our objective thinking caps on, it is hard to see just how this act could not be considered a crime against humanity / war crime / genocidal act.

Harry Truman was a war criminal no better than Hitler. He was a racist against Japanese:

Source

Arguments for this being classified as war crimes:

Source

TL;DR

- Truman was noted to be a racist against the Japanese (also black people too, fun fact)
- The bombs were dropped purely for political purposes against the USSR
- Truman was ready to annihilate Japan (genocidal) if two nukes didn't do it
- Japan was already blockaded, being invaded by USSR. They would have surrendered very soon without the nukes being dropped.
- The United States gets away with war crimes all the damn time.

Should have surrendered as soon as Hitler was defeated, but you guys didn't.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 9th, 2019 03:08 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote