KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Texas Tech medical school to stop using race in admissions

Texas Tech medical school to stop using race in admissions
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good, I think this is the right move and I hope every college follows this.

So what do people here think, should race play a role in college admissions?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 04:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

No, not at all.

Extreme affirmative action is toxic, destructive, short-sighted, and divisive. I cannot take anyone who agrees with things like this seriously.

Socio-economic status is a much better metric and it should be done an individual basis. Why is a poor white-kid or an immigration Asian kid held to higher standards than a Black Kid? Especially if the Black or Hispanic Kid comes from an affluent family? So dumb.

I think affirmative action had good intentions but became immensely twisted in its execution. It became a way to screw over an entire race for the simple fact that they tend to excel in higher numbers than their population would suggest.

It’s bizarre to me that we’ve collectively decided as a society that it’s wrong if there is a greater % of Asians in college than their proportion in society. Why are you punishing people for wanting to better themselves? Given that Asians literally hold no power in the US, I feel like things should be the opposite? Why don’t we encourage more Asians to pursue leadership positions in diverse fields?

This is why I don't take extreme progressive seriously.

Last edited by Rage.Of.Olympus on Apr 10th, 2019 at 05:09 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 05:02 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
No, not at all.

Extreme affirmative action is toxic, destructive, short-sighted, and divisive. I cannot take anyone who agrees with things like this seriously.

Socio-economic status is a much better metric and it should be done an individual basis. Why is a poor white-kid or an immigration Asian kid held to higher standards than a Black Kid? Especially if the Black or Hispanic Kid comes from an affluent family? So dumb.

I think affirmative action had good intentions but became immensely twisted in its execution. It became a way to screw over an entire race for the simple fact that they tend to excel in higher numbers than their population would suggest.

It’s bizarre to me that we’ve collectively decided as a society that it’s wrong if there is a greater % of Asians in college than their proportion in society. Why are you punishing people for wanting to better themselves? Given that Asians literally hold no power in the US, I feel like things should be the opposite? Why don’t we encourage more Asians to pursue leadership positions in diverse fields?

This is why I don't take extreme progressive seriously.

Interesting idea.

I read two conflicting studies. Likely, I need to check the sponsors. One showed that Socio-Economic Mobility (SEM) had to do with where you started with your SES.

Another showed that there were racial differences with a white and black, even when starting at the same level, had differences in SES. But then the confounding variables* were the Sub-Saharan African immigrants whose children had SEM that exceeded whites when variables were controlled.

When measuring race and SEM, you may actually be measuring culture or subculture instead of true SEM. It sucks.

But I think your idea would better capture opportunity based on SEM instead of race for affirmative action. That would be a much better help.

*Edit - I should note that these are really not confounding variables and they get lost in the sea of averages. I am using that phrase incorrectly but you get the idea. Just in case a pedantic statistician called me out. smile

Last edited by dadudemon on Apr 10th, 2019 at 05:22 PM

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 05:13 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

For people who are pro using stuff like race..isn't it true more women are now attending college than men? At least in the US.

So should there be some sort of affirmative action program to fix that?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 05:16 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Removing the part of an application process that identifies the race of the applicant is one thing. Checking the names for all the Shaniqua's and Tyrone's is another.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 06:00 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Also part of the reason they seem to have wanted to use race is cuz there are underprivileged minority communities who would want doctors that are the same race. Thus they want to create a diverse set of doctors.

My question is...let's say a hispanic guy from a poor neighborhood becomes a doctor. Why would we assume he would want to return and practice in that neighborhood?

Old Post Apr 10th, 2019 06:36 PM