KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Why do so many conservatives believe in Young Earth Creationism?

Why do so many conservatives believe in Young Earth Creationism?
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Why do so many conservatives believe in Creationism?

i'm willing to accept that there are a note-worthy portion of the far-left who believe anti-science/evidence/reality concepts such as anti-vax and flat-earth; but conservatives seem to wholly own creationism...so i think it's a fair question.

also, please don't take this topic as an anti-theist discussion; since as far as i can recall, nothing in the old/new testament, quran, or torah mentions anything about the earth's true age.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:28 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Did you know many other religions including Islam also believe in Creation?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:34 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

they believe in divine creation, sure. most people of faith seem to, in fact.

the topic is about the belief structure behind "creationism", however. not the same thing.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:35 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Do ask Many Muslims why they believe in God or for that matter why they do?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:37 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Because religious indoctrination and propaganda.

/thread

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:38 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Do ask Many Muslims why they believe in God or for that matter why they do?

okay?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:38 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Because religious indoctrination and propaganda.

/thread

i went to catholic school for a few years as a child. lots of indoctrination and propaganda. not a peep about a 6000 year old earth. seems like a newage concept to me. feel free to correct me, though.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:39 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Catholics have overall accepted the facts of evolution. Pretty sure the Pope even declared as much. Conservative evangelical types not so much.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i went to catholic school for a few years as a child. lots of indoctrination and propaganda. not a peep about a 6000 year old earth. seems like a newage concept to me. feel free to correct me, though.

Who exactly said the earth was billions of years old? And why should they be believed over the people that think it’s 6000? Who says one group think knows more than the other. Carbon dating is laughable, humans thinking they are God by having all the answers to everything in the past, but we can’t seem to cure cancer.

The same type of people that say the earth is millions or billions of years old are the same intellect and type that can’t give us any real cures for death or cancer, aids etc.

The idea that only certain people have the answers to the past while the same type of people hardly have any answers for the future.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2019 11:45 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is an obvious troll thread. And it doesn't belong in General Discussion. I'll report it as being in wrong forum but doubt it'll do very much good.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:02 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
This is an obvious troll thread. And it doesn't belong in General Discussion. I'll report it as being in wrong forum but doubt it'll do very much good.

Haven't you learned anything? It's not trolling when they do it, it's okay.

He's totally asking this question in good faith. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:03 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

LOL yeah, I'm sure he's doing it in good faith.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:04 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

awwww, "goo goo gah gah"?

it's a political question as well, so....

smile

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:05 AM
ares834

I mean, the answer is obvious. The right caters to the highly religious via their stance on many social issues such as abortion and marriage.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:05 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Archaeopteryx

I went to a Baptist high school my junior year (they claimed non denominational but that's another story).

Not only did they believe the earth was 6000 years old and God created the world in seven actual days but some of them also didn't think there were any oceans until after the "great flood".

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:26 AM
Archaeopteryx is currently offline Click here to Send Archaeopteryx a Private Message Find more posts by Archaeopteryx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by Archaeopteryx
I went to a Baptist high school my junior year (they claimed non denominational but that's another story).

Not only did they believe the earth was 6000 years old and God created the world in seven actual days but some of them also didn't think there were any oceans until after the "great flood".

the 'seven days' bit is different, though. genesis lays it out pretty clearly (though who knows what got lost in it's several translations)

creationism seems like some newage concept which made it's way into certain christian sects, with no biblical evidence to "back it up", so to speak

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Apr 25th, 2019 at 12:32 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:29 AM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Did you know many other religions including Islam also believe in Creation?

Oh, they know.. they just don't give a shit. Can't call muslims stupid now can they? Naw, that's a big no-no. Might get called out for "hate speech". They just wanna single out the Christians (or "easter worshippers' as Hillary and our last joke of a so-called president calls them), as usual. That's the left's dual-standards on full display. It's not hateful to call Christians "dumb" or "retarded" but don't you dare talk bad bout dem muslims!

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Apr 25th, 2019 at 12:52 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 12:47 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Re: Why do so many conservatives believe in Creationism?

muslims

"hate speech"

single out the Christians

Hillary

the left's dual-standards

Christians

"dumb"

"retarded"

muslims!

hmmm... okay thanks for the buzzword salad thumb up

also, please don't take this topic as an anti-theist discussion; since as far as i can recall, nothing in the old/new testament, quran, or torah mentions anything about the earth's true age.

anything on the topic, friend? smile

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 01:00 AM
mike brown

they believe in divine creation, sure. most people of faith seem to, in fact.

the topic is about the belief structure behind "creationism", however. not the same thing.
to be clear, there's a large segment of muslims who reject evolution and believe in an Islamic version of creationism.

Last edited by mike brown on Apr 25th, 2019 at 02:07 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 01:59 AM
mike brown is currently offline Click here to Send mike brown a Private Message Find more posts by mike brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mike brown

@Broly

The evidence that the universe is closer to 14 billion years old than 6000 years old is overwhelming. Radiometric data turns up errors here and there but it's consistent enough to be considered roughly reliable... And there are numerous other factors to consider eg why can we see stars millions of light years away if the universe is only 6000 years old. Sure the measurements can be wrong but then you have to scrap most of what we know about physics etc.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2019 02:04 AM
mike brown is currently offline Click here to Send mike brown a Private Message Find more posts by mike brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote