KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Democrats introduce constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United

Democrats introduce constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is just wrong and goes against the 1st amendment. Luckily I doubt anything will come of it, but why try at all?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:02 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Everyone knows that it's always a good thing when mega corporations and unions use their billions to influence politics smile

#yummycorpcash
#shilling4dollarz

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I never said it is good, not all forms of speech are good. So I assume you're in favor of this being overturned?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:14 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Re: Democrats introduce constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
goes against the 1st amendment.

That's the point of amendments, to amend the constitution. The 21st amendment famously repeals 18. Now, I don't know enough about this sepcific issue to have an informed opinion about it. But to complain about an amendment being unconstitutional is missing the point.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:20 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

And the point of this is to change one of our most important amendments. That is what I'm pointing out. I did this because there might be people who are not aware of why this was allowed in the first place.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:23 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

What in the ALT/Far/Trumper-Right are you on about now, Surt? This is specifically about Citizen's United and political spending/donations limitations.

Senate Democrats introduced a constitutional amendment on Tuesday to undo the 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision.

A group of Democrats, led by Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.), and progressive activists rallied outside the Supreme Court to unveil the amendment, which faces an unlikely path to being ratified.

"Few decisions in the 200 and some odd years of this republic have threatened our democracy like Citizens United. People say they want to get rid of the swamp. Citizens United is the embodiment of the swamp," Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said at the rally.

Schumer added that "overturning Citizens United is probably more important than any other single thing we could do to preserve this great and grand democracy.-snip

"The Supreme Court's decision in Citizens United overturned decades of legal precedent and has enabled billions in dark money to pour into our elections," Schiff said in a statement. -snip

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:36 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe look up what played into the original decision Rob.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:38 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

As noted above: They're trying to overturn something very specific, "Citizens United v. FEC", not the entire 1st Amendment, Surt. But I get that's the angle that needs to be counter-played.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:41 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes and that goes against the first amendment.

Are you in favor of overturning Citizens United?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:51 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

In in favor of getting big money special interest out of our politics, that goes for any party.

eg My $1,000.00 donation can't compete with the NRA's 40+million dollar pro-trump donations.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 10:56 PM
snowdragon

quote:
"Few decisions in the 200 and some odd years of this republic have threatened our democracy like Citizens United. People say they want to get rid of the swamp. Citizens United is the embodiment of the swamp," Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said at the rally.

I'm for getting rid of citizens united but I'll have to read whats being proposed carefully.

I also want to say that Schumer is a sack of bull dung if he is starting his mssging about cictzens united and our democracy. It started years ago when we allowed businesses to lobby and buy our govt, it has little to do with political mssging to the masses.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2019 11:58 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Surtur
And the point of this is to change one of our most important amendments. That is what I'm pointing out. I did this because there might be people who are not aware of why this was allowed in the first place.

Exactly. It's not supposed to be that easy to change any of our most basic fundamental rights listed in the "Bill of Rights" (first ten amendments). The only way any of the first ten amendments are supposed to be legally changed is if 3/5 (or is it two-thirds? I forget) of all states vote for them to be changed and I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 01:35 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Supreme Court already ruled on this, game over.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 01:54 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Supreme Court already ruled on this, game over.

How is a court decision in any way relevant on a constitutional amendment?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 02:44 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because a constitutional amendment will never happen for this, much less anything else, therefore the Supreme Court has the final say, if you knew anything about government or civics you wouldn’t ask such a dumb question.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 02:52 AM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Because a constitutional amendment will never happen for this, much less anything else, therefore the Supreme Court has the final say, if you knew anything about government or civics you wouldn’t ask such a dumb question.

The thread topic is a constitutional amendment. Whether it's possible or not is another argument.

Try and keep up.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 02:59 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

I find that people are often hypocritical when it comes to what interferes with our democracy.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 03:03 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
The thread topic is a constitutional amendment. Whether it's possible or not is another argument.

Try and keep up.

The point is moot, it’s never happening and the Supreme Court decision stand the way it is no matter how you feel about it.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 04:05 AM
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

Originally posted by Robtard
In in favor of getting big money special interest out of our politics, that goes for any party.

eg My $1,000.00 donation can't compete with the NRA's 40+million dollar pro-trump donations.

thumb up

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 05:17 AM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Typical Leftist Hypocrisy.

DEEERRRRR CORPS BAD! Except for the ones that We Like!

No Shock in KMC's Typical Loony Leftist taking their Anti-Freedom Stance as always.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2019 06:34 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote