KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » The cognitive dissonance of mental health activism, and incel culture

The cognitive dissonance of mental health activism, and incel culture
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

The cognitive dissonance of mental health activism, and incel culture

When you hear about depression, the images activists tend to use are "relatable" normal people, who otherwise have their act together. Maybe they have a solid career trajectory, maybe a family. They're almost always attractive, or at least not homely.

They certainly don't look anything like the typical basemen dweller" associated with incel culture. The poster child of the somewhat dumpy, anti social, seemingly narcissistic type, who hangs out all day on 4chan or 8chan and rants against PC culture, or how women aren't giving them their due.

I realize why campaigners would use sympathetic people to promote their cause. That's been the method of operation even since the civil rights movement rejected Claudette Colvin as a symbol of the movement for being "too black", and waited for Rosa Parks. Or, the gay rights movement intentionally marginalized "flaming homosexuals" or "sissyboys", instead pushing people that look like a typical yuppie.

Nonetheless, it strikes me as a pretty serious blind spot in mental health. It's perfectly acceptable to shame, marginalize, and objectify people who's self destructive behavior may stem from some form of mental illness. They won't get help from this adversarial stance.

And any talk of mental health will fall on deaf ears, when it comes in the form of condescending attack, as (let's be honest) it often is, when speaking about psychological help.

I'm not sure how this can change, but I'm certain marginalization only feeds this cycle of victim complex/group lashing out/potential physical attack.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 03:33 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

How is being an incel a mental illness?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 04:48 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0

How is incel behavior at all normal?

I'm no psychologist, but there's big flags of all sorts there.. Potential depression, social anxiety, paranoia, autism, problems with social cues, norms, and intimacy..

All things that gain sympathy, when we see someone we sympathize with.

I was serving a computer rollout at a mental health location, and have seen first hand how one woman who was a school teacher had a breakdown, and lost all higher reasoning abilities and essentially wandered around like a zombie, and had all sorts of outpouring of support, both in her clinic and at home. Yet all the more homely people, who didn't have her career background or beauty, were looked down on or ignored. One of them simply asked for tea at the psyche ward, and was condescended to by the help.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Oct 4th, 2019 at 05:28 PM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 05:18 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

Originally posted by jaden_2.0

Are you under the impression that being an incel is genetic and not something that is a consequence of things like a person's personality, social skills etc?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 05:32 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 06:08 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by cdtm
How is incel behavior at all normal?

I'm no psychologist, but there's big flags of all sorts there.. Potential depression, social anxiety, paranoia, autism, problems with social cues, norms, and intimacy..

All things that gain sympathy, when we see someone we sympathize with.

I was serving a computer rollout at a mental health location, and have seen first hand how one woman who was a school teacher had a breakdown, and lost all higher reasoning abilities and essentially wandered around like a zombie, and had all sorts of outpouring of support, both in her clinic and at home. Yet all the more homely people, who didn't have her career background or beauty, were looked down on or ignored. One of them simply asked for tea at the psyche ward, and was condescended to by the help.

Perhaps there are people who have mental illnesses and because of those issues they are an incel but being an incel is essentially something that is done to someone. I.e. no one will fu¢k them.

The incel "culture" reminds me more of toxic fandoms in that they collectively go after people they believe have slighted them.

You can argue that the culture radicalises some of them but that leads to all sorts of other arguments about other groups and their actions.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 10:07 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Silent Master
Are you under the impression that being an incel is genetic and not something that is a consequence of things like a person's personality, social skills etc?

What are you even talking about?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 10:07 PM
Silent Master

Sigh

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 10:10 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

I'm genuinely curious as to how you would even infer that from my post.

Or maybe you're just strawmanning again.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2019 10:18 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Being an incel comes from being unlikeable. Sometimes it's a mental illness, but some genuinely aren't victims.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 11:48 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Yet Certain Parts of our Cultural High Society tend to go to great lengths to Vilify said Incels.

Kind of like they WANT said Incels to actually CAUSE incidents.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:50 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

I thought she/he/it/ got cancelled though.

https://medium.com/swlh/contrapoint...be-3f405f8d47ac

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:52 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

That and its a Youtube Personality so anything she/he/it says is automatically invalidated.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 09:54 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

So now youtubers are ok?

Old Post Oct 5th, 2019 10:03 PM
Flyattractor

So now youtubers are ok?

Only when you use the philosophy of "Only When We Do It" or otherwise known as The Double Standard!

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 04:25 AM
Putinbot1
Restricted

Account Restricted

So now youtubers are ok?
Good God, No!

Old Post Oct 6th, 2019 10:23 AM
Putinbot1 is currently offline Click here to Send Putinbot1 a Private Message Find more posts by Putinbot1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote