KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Self checkout lines at grocery stores

Self checkout lines are:
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Completely okay. 6 75.00%
Wrong and detrimental. 2 25.00%
Total: 8 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Self checkout lines at grocery stores
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Self checkout lines at grocery stores

Man, I opened up a can of worms on my FB page this morning simply by opining that there’s nothing grievous or detrimental about self checkout lines in supermarkets.

My exact FB post is as follows:

“I’ll never understand why some people equate self checkout bagging at grocery stores with performing manual labor. Like, they think it’s the equivalent to balancing on a plank over a pit of boiling oil while performing particle astrophysics.

It’s not.

Go to the grocery store, pick out your sundries, place in cart, push cart to checkout, scan barcodes, bag, wheel cart to car, load car, return cart to stall, and go home.

This is not a Herculean task.

“But it’s taking away jobs! People need jobs!”

Okay, fine. Walmart, for example, employs millions of people who all have assigned duties. Having X amount of self checkout registers isn’t going to cripple the economy. Having customers scan and bag their own items will, in fact, create more openings for employees and will allow them to concentrate on other aspects of the store as opposed to scanning milk, eggs, and Vagi-Clean for the general public. And if there is, say, a malfunction or a query at the self checkout area, there will always be (surprise, surprise) an employee to assist said customers who may need an item unlocked, opened, or helped with.

Also, if you’re too lazy to scan & bag your own shit or if you think that shopping is laborious, then be glad you live in the age of online ordering where employees will pick and bag your items and will bring them outside to you at the curb. That’s called the creation of a job. A job they’re hired to do to make your life that much easier, since so many people are harping about how self checkout takes away a job. Hell, if not Walmart curbside then one can use Instacart or any other smartphone app to hire someone else to shop for them. You’ll pay extra for the convenience, but at least you won’t have to break your back scanning a barcode.

That’s why Jeff Bezos is one of the richest humans on the planet; because he capitalized of the laziness of people who use the Internet to shop for, literally, everything. There’s nothing wrong with that, in my earnest opinion. That’s one of the perks of living in the 21st Century. One has every right to opine about the different aspects of marketing, but I still see no major transgression happening with bagging your own groceries.”

So, who agrees or disagrees? Is this killing jobs? Does this make me a communist? Is this an unforgivable offense?

Discuss.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:08 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

Self checkouts suck when there aren't enough open and u have either a bunch of slow old people trying to figure out the scanner and moving like molasses while they're scanning and bagging their stuff or people that are by themselves with carts piling over that spend 15 min going back and forth between scanning and bagging.

Other than that i dont mind them.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:20 PM
Raptor22 is currently offline Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Yeah I'm with Raptor. I've no issue with them. Do they really take away a good amount of jobs? I've never seen a grocery store that didn't offer cashiers and baggers in addition to self checkout.

Hmm, it's a drag if it does affect jobs in such a profound way though. Still, it's a matter of convenience for people. I don't think jobs should exist just so people have jobs. Jobs suck.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:23 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Self checkout stations are basically replacing the "8 items or less" checkout line.
Which is great because it's always faster.

But...…for larger grocery amounts (typical family grocery orders)...its never quick to use the self checkout aisle. It's always quicker to use the typical cashier/scanner aisles. It's much efficient.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:29 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

quote:
Self checkout stations are basically replacing the "8 items or less" checkout line.
Which is great because it's always faster.

Exactly this. Self checkout is great if you only have a few items.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:31 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I use them when available and they're usually limited to a certain amount of items (eg 15 or less). So a person doing a full shopping cart is going to have to use the standard checkout.

Checkers and baggers are going away like the dodo and tollbooth operators though. I forget which store, but they're testing "smart carts", which track what you put inside and then you pay via credit card or smartphone app at the cart before exiting the store. No contact with a store employee at all.

Give it 5-10 years and these smart carts will be ubiquitous.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Jan 27th, 2021 at 05:35 PM

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Two people have called me a communist on my FB post.

🤣

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 05:43 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
Two people have called me a communist on my FB post.

🤣
Well yes because you are one mad

Seriously though I find it weird that people complain about the self-service lanes costing jobs when most of the same people didn't care that those jobs only provided substandard living wages and told people in them to get better ones anyways.

I also think we'll have to move unto a Universal wage system at some point anyways when there are more people then sustainable jobs to be worked.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 06:04 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

People who say "it allows supermarkets to move the staff to other areas of the store" are idiots. They don't do that. They cut the hours available to the department. They don't necessarily make anyone redundant. They just don't employ the same number of hours back in after someone leaves so a 39 hour job may be cut to a 25 hour one. It's called natural wastage.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 06:07 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

They absolutely are a threat to the grocery store cashier industry- you guys have only seen the tip of the iceberg. You don't know what special hell is forming in the depths of San Francisco.

Powerful forces are investing billions of dollars into killing the cashier. That said I don't know why people would be giving Matt shit for it.

1. The phasing out of cashiers may be inevitable but it's going to take literally decades to sweep across the entire country.
2. It's not like cashiers are the only people under the gun. The same tech companies gunning for them are also doing everything they can to **** over commercial drivers, pilots, mechanics, receptionists/secretaries, warehouse workers etc.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 06:37 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
Man, I opened up a can of worms on my FB page this morning simply by opining that there’s nothing grievous or detrimental about self checkout lines in supermarkets.

My exact FB post is as follows:

“I’ll never understand why some people equate self checkout bagging at grocery stores with performing manual labor. Like, they think it’s the equivalent to balancing on a plank over a pit of boiling oil while performing particle astrophysics.

It’s not.

Go to the grocery store, pick out your sundries, place in cart, push cart to checkout, scan barcodes, bag, wheel cart to car, load car, return cart to stall, and go home.

This is not a Herculean task.

“But it’s taking away jobs! People need jobs!”

Okay, fine. Walmart, for example, employs millions of people who all have assigned duties. Having X amount of self checkout registers isn’t going to cripple the economy. Having customers scan and bag their own items will, in fact, create more openings for employees and will allow them to concentrate on other aspects of the store as opposed to scanning milk, eggs, and Vagi-Clean for the general public. And if there is, say, a malfunction or a query at the self checkout area, there will always be (surprise, surprise) an employee to assist said customers who may need an item unlocked, opened, or helped with.

Also, if you’re too lazy to scan & bag your own shit or if you think that shopping is laborious, then be glad you live in the age of online ordering where employees will pick and bag your items and will bring them outside to you at the curb. That’s called the creation of a job. A job they’re hired to do to make your life that much easier, since so many people are harping about how self checkout takes away a job. Hell, if not Walmart curbside then one can use Instacart or any other smartphone app to hire someone else to shop for them. You’ll pay extra for the convenience, but at least you won’t have to break your back scanning a barcode.

That’s why Jeff Bezos is one of the richest humans on the planet; because he capitalized of the laziness of people who use the Internet to shop for, literally, everything. There’s nothing wrong with that, in my earnest opinion. That’s one of the perks of living in the 21st Century. One has every right to opine about the different aspects of marketing, but I still see no major transgression happening with bagging your own groceries.”

So, who agrees or disagrees? Is this killing jobs? Does this make me a communist? Is this an unforgivable offense?

Discuss.
my ex wife had a way to shoplift on them. She used to halve the Grocery Bill, much as I loved her she was a very naughty girl.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 07:52 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I pretty much always use self checkouts now.

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
my ex wife had a way to shoplift on them. She used to halve the Grocery Bill, much as I loved her she was a very naughty girl.

Lmao

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 09:08 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Whirly's ex-wife must of had one really big purse

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 10:49 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

I don't like self order kiosks at restaurants though.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2021 11:34 PM
truejedi is currently offline Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Artol

I don't see anything wrong with self check outs per se. I think if you think that places like Walmart will invest the savings into having their employees do other jobs, rather than just cutting jobs and pocketing more profits that's pretty unrealistic. And I don't see why your stance would be considered the communist stance, it just sounds like you are accepting the logic of capitalism.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2021 01:16 AM
Artol is currently offline Click here to Send Artol a Private Message Find more posts by Artol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I don't think self-checkout kiosks are going to remove cashiers ever. They are too inefficient. It's always faster to go through a cashier kiosk when you have a ton of groceries. Too many variables can cause slowdowns within a self-checkout.

As Tzeentch points out, it would be the Amazon pick up and walkout checkout system that will kill self-checkout kiosks.

But I wouldn't be amiss to say that I sometimes prefer an actual human to sell me something rather than a LCD screen...though I do enjoy those menu kiosks at McDonalds.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2021 01:45 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

If all jobs are to be taken over by automation, then what exactly are these robots going to be making? If no-one has a job then no-one can afford to buy these goods and services. At least that's my train of thought.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Jan 28th, 2021 02:32 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i do not use self check out.. i just go to the shortest lie possible and buy my shit .

i also complain very loudly if there are not many cash registers open.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 28th, 2021 02:59 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Tzeentch
They absolutely are a threat to the grocery store cashier industry- you guys have only seen the tip of the iceberg. You don't know what special hell is forming in the depths of San Francisco.

Powerful forces are investing billions of dollars into killing the cashier. That said I don't know why people would be giving Matt shit for it.

1. The phasing out of cashiers may be inevitable but it's going to take literally decades to sweep across the entire country.
2. It's not like cashiers are the only people under the gun. The same tech companies gunning for them are also doing everything they can to **** over commercial drivers, pilots, mechanics, receptionists/secretaries, warehouse workers etc.

They are not just in San Francisco. We have them in Chicago too.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2021 06:31 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

The economy is a made up thing. A lot of jobs exist simply because people need jobs or they starve. It would be so nice to evaluate which jobs actually need to exist, and use the rest of humanity for something else. Culture or earth preservation or space exploration or something. Some noble goal. It's all a made up cycle right now.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2021 10:44 AM
truejedi is currently offline Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote