KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Michael Moore attacks Green industry

Michael Moore attacks Green industry
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Michael Moore attacks Green industry

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...oore-taken-down

Interesting, considering the source.

quote:
A new Michael Moore-produced documentary that takes aim at the supposed hypocrisy of the green movement is “dangerous, misleading and destructive” and should be removed from public viewing, according to an assortment of climate scientists and environmental campaigners.

The film, Planet of the Humans, was released on the eve of Earth Day last week by its producer, Michael Moore, the baseball cap-wearing documentarian known for Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine. Describing itself as a “full-frontal assault on our sacred cows”, the film argues that electric cars and solar energy are unreliable and rely upon fossil fuels to function. It also attacks figures including Al Gore for bolstering corporations that push flawed technologies over real solutions to the climate crisis.

Planet of the Humans has provoked a furious reaction from scientists and campaigners, however, who have called for it be taken down. Films for Action, an online library of videos, temporarily took down the film after describing it as “full of misinformation”, though they later reinstated it, saying they did not want accusations of censorship to give the film “more power and mystique than it deserves”. A free version on YouTube has been viewed more than 3m times.

A letter written by Josh Fox, who made the documentary Gasland, and signed by various scientists and activists, has urged the removal of “shockingly misleading and absurd” film for making false claims about renewable energy. Planet of the Humans “trades in debunked fossil fuel industry talking points” that question the affordability and reliability of solar and wind energy, the letter states, pointing out that these alternatives are now cheaper to run than fossil fuels such as coal.

Michael Mann, a climate scientist and signatory to Fox’s letter, said the film includes “various distortions, half-truths and lies” and that the filmmakers “have done a grave disservice to us and the planet by promoting climate change inactivist tropes and talking points.” The film’s makers did not respond to questions over whether it will be pulled down.

Planet of the Humans has been shown at Moore’s Traverse City film festival, where the producer said it was “perhaps the most urgent film we’ve shown in the 15-year history of our film festival”. Jeff Gibbs, who wrote and directed the film, has suggested that unrestrained economic and population growth should be the target of environmentalists’ efforts rather than technological fixes.

Michael Moore: 'We have the power to crush Trump'
Climate activist Bill McKibben, one of the targets for the film for allegedly being influenced by corporate money and for supporting the burning of biomass such as wood chips for energy, said the characterisations are untrue. McKibben has previously changed his views on biomass energy, which he now sees as being detrimental to climate action, and claims he has “never taken a penny in pay” from any environmental group.

“I am used to ceaseless harassment and attack from the fossil fuel industry, and I’ve done my best to ignore a lifetime of death threats from rightwing extremists,” McKibben said. “It does hurt more to be attacked by others who think of themselves as environmentalists.”

Renewable energy has long been portrayed as expensive and unreliably intermittent by oil and gas companies and their lobby groups, which have spent several decades questioning the veracity of climate science and undermining efforts to radically reduce planet-heating emissions.

In fact, the technology used for wind and solar energy has improved markedly in recent years, while the costs have plummeted. While electric cars often require fossil fuel-generated energy to produce them and provide the electricity to fuel them, research has shown they still emit less greenhouse gas and air pollutants over their lifetime than a standard petrol or diesel car.

Generating all power from renewables will take significant upgrades of grid infrastructure and storage but several researchers have declared the goal feasible, most likely with carbon-capture technology for remaining fossil fuel plants. Scientists say the world must reach net zero emissions by 2050 to head off disastrous global heating, which would likely spur worsening storms, heatwaves, sea level rise and societal unrest.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 02:06 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_fQZfFy9cFs

Link to an 8 minute video that includes clips from the movie.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 02:07 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilikecomics
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wow, you know the dog of lefty hypocrisy has finally barked loud enough when Mike Moore brandishes the newspaper of the master.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 02:54 AM
ilikecomics is currently offline Click here to Send ilikecomics a Private Message Find more posts by ilikecomics Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sounds like bs

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 03:06 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilikecomics
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blakemore
Sounds like bs

In terms of what ?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 03:33 AM
ilikecomics is currently offline Click here to Send ilikecomics a Private Message Find more posts by ilikecomics Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Sounds like bs

Well, it is Michael Moore.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 03:38 AM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well I can't determine his basis. I disregard the whole thing.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 03:45 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Well I can't determine his basis. I disregard the whole thing.

You haven't heard of Michael Moore?

He did Bowling for Columbine and Super Size Me. Was a Democratic darling because a lot of the sacred cows he went after were on the right, like gun control.

He also predicted Trumps 2016 election:

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 03:53 AM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm

He did Bowling for Columbine and Super Size Me. Was a Democratic darling because a lot of the sacred cows he went after were on the right, like gun control.

I know who Michael Moore is, personally, I think sicko was his best film ... Anyway, he's mostly hit and miss a lot of the time. He's a dead duck.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 04:10 AM
Artol

"the film argues that electric cars and solar energy are unreliable and rely upon fossil fuels to function. It also attacks figures including Al Gore for bolstering corporations that push flawed technologies over real solutions to the climate crisis."

That just sounds like facts everyone agrees upon, the problem is just that climate change deniers are going to take that to mean that we shouldn't be doing something, when really we need to get more renewable and more clean energy to ensure that electric cars are more green, to make sure that solar is in places where it is most effective, to ensure that Al Gore doesn't make too much money with bullshit....

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 09:02 AM
Artol is currently offline Click here to Send Artol a Private Message Find more posts by Artol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Artol

Originally posted by cdtm

He didn't do "Super Size Me", that's a different guy. He's mostly known for Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 09:12 AM
Artol is currently offline Click here to Send Artol a Private Message Find more posts by Artol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

The only legitimate argument against renewable energy is that its energy density simply isn't high enough and will never be high enough. Fossil fuels were about 4 to 5 times more energy dense than renewables 10 years ago and the figures have barely budged since then despite massive investment. Literally every fossil fuel is more energy dense than every type of renewable.

Nuclear is simply the only option.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 02:32 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I don't think he's tearing down green, so much as attacking the smoke and mirrors companies use to prove their green bona fide's to consumers and investors, while really not doing that much for the environment.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 02:35 PM
Quincy
Debaser

Yeah I'd watch that.

Moore doesn't come off to me as someone who punches down, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that some of his arguments have merit. I don't think anyone doubts that corporations and that kind of schilling are really putting the future of the world in front of their profits.

Still, what I wonder is if this is actually about the individuals and the organizations that are the problems, or the science itself? In which case, I'd lean towards the scientist knowing way more than this guy

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 03:03 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Moore tend to annoy me, but I'll watch this one.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 04:55 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Artol
He didn't do "Super Size Me", that's a different guy. He's mostly known for Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko.
he also did "capilism, a love story" which was shit!

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 06:12 PM
ilikecomics
Restricted

Account Restricted

he also did "capilism, a love story" which was shit!

Haven't seen it. Is he pro or anti capitalistic ?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 06:15 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ilikecomics
Haven't seen it. Is he pro or anti capitalistic ?
he tries to make out that capilism is a system of exploitation. Then does interviews with bernie sanders and people who're suffering to justify his statement. I disagree. I think it's right to capitalize.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 06:35 PM
ilikecomics
Restricted

Account Restricted

he tries to make out that capilism is a system of exploitation. Then does interviews with bernie sanders and people who're suffering to justify his statement. I disagree. I think it's right to capitalize.

Oh yeah that idea is wretched poison and based off of the labor theory of value, as opposed to the subjective theory of labor.

Labor theory of value = pay guy who cut down tree with a butter knife, because he worked really hard.

Subjective theory of value= pay guy with chainsaw, because he can cut down a tree quickly and safely.

Most people who follow the exploitation line also think there's a finite amount of value/money in the world, which is just factually incorrect.

Also, alot of American billionaires are crooked, but only because they're on welfare. By welfare I mean billion dollar bail outs.
If a company can't provide value to the customers, it should shut down.

To me Moore's opinion on capitalism is commie as hell, so I would be pleasantly surprised if Moore used a bunch of typically conservative talking points to base green energy.

At the same time, if that is the case that he disparages the current state of green energy it could mean he just likes to wear his anti establishment badge, so he can feel like a punko guerilla film maker

Either way he should lose weight if he's gonna be in front of the camera so much.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 06:52 PM
cdtm

It's hard to take anti-capitalism messages seriously from a guy who made enough money complaining about capitalism to form his own Scrooge McDuck money pit.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2021 07:04 PM