KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should people propagating false narratives like "stop the steal" be prosecuted?"

Should people propagating false narratives like "stop the steal" be prosecuted?"
Started by: Old Man Whirly!

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Should people propagating false narratives like "stop the steal" be prosecuted?"

Guiliani got me thinking. Many people propagated false narratives publicly, some of these like anti vaxxers "free speech" lying/gaslighting put others at risk. On things like stop the steal, where does provable false narratives and disinformation become illegal. When should the FBI put people on watch lists. For instance posters on message boards?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 10:47 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Freedom of speech, dude.

The only thing that I would agree with that sentiment is when it’s to prevent extremist terrorism.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 10:50 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blakemore
Freedom of speech, dude.

The only thing that I would agree with that sentiment is when it’s to prevent extremist terrorism.
But is free speech without consequence?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:09 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
But is free speech without consequence?
depends. That’s why we have courts. I’m not a judge, so I can’t make a decision or even a distinction on what is or isn’t okay.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:13 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

depends. That’s why we have courts. I’m not a judge, so I can’t make a decision or even a distinction on what is or isn’t okay.
Why aren't you a judge!? The Internet is serious bussiness.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:15 AM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Should pooty be banished from society for asking such retarded, trolling questions?

I say yes.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:17 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Everyone should be prosecuted who says things we don't agree with! And us braindead leftists are of course the arbiters of what is misinfornation and what is actual facts because we are the self-appointed enlightened ones!! If you don't agree with that statement then you're just a racist, homophobe, bigot xenophobe who denies science and facts!! Screw your free speech! You're a nazi (everyone we don't agree with are nazis) and nazis don't get free speech only us commie-loving leftists do!!"-- pooty bot

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:24 AM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Re: Should people propagating false narratives like "stop the steal" be prosecuted?"

Guiliani got me thinking. Many people propagated false narratives publicly, some of these like anti vaxxers "free speech" lying/gaslighting put others at risk. On things like stop the steal, where does provable false narratives and disinformation become illegal. When should the FBI put people on watch lists. For instance posters on message boards?
I think those with the power to disseminate false information for their own gain should be held libel for the lies they spread. So I think Trump should be held libel for the big lie.

But it gets kind grey once you start going after people not in positions of power.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:30 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Re: Should people propagating false narratives like "stop the steal" be prosecuted?"

Internet fascist gaslighters should definitely be put on a watch list

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:48 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Newjak
I think those with the power to disseminate false information for their own gain should be held libel for the lies they spread. So I think Trump should be held libel for the big lie.

But it gets kind grey once you start going after people not in positions of power.
so, Trump, a famous billionaire president who most likely got special privileges to vaccines considering a lot of his staff got quarantined, lied when he spoke against vaccinations and masks with phrases like “I got it and I got better” or even spreading conspiracies and blaming China who are the leaders in medicine despite the bat flu shit by some assholes.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 11:49 AM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

so, Trump, a famous billionaire president who most likely got special privileges to vaccines considering a lot of his staff got quarantined, lied when he spoke against vaccinations and masks with phrases like “I got it and I got better” or even spreading conspiracies and blaming China who are the leaders in medicine despite the bat flu shit by some assholes.
Didn't Trump want SNL presenters investigates?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:01 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Didn't Trump want SNL presenters investigates?
I haven’t been following that well. Football is on tomorrow.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:17 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I haven’t been following that well. Football is on tomorrow.
Yeah, looking forward to it. Germany are good!

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:18 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, looking forward to it. Germany are good!
traitor.

Still, I’m glad we didn’t get Portugal because Ronaldo is a ****.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:23 PM
snowdragon

Nope

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:43 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Tyrants always label truth as false narratives. Just ask Kim Jong-un, or Pooh Bear in China.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:47 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
Tyrants always label truth as false narratives. Just ask kim jong-un, or Pooh Bear in China.

Bingo. thumb up

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:47 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
Tyrants always label truth as false narratives. Just ask Kim Jong-un, or Pooh Bear in China.
or us universities. 🤪

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 12:48 PM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can't wait to hear what the supposed "liberal" Robtard says about this.

Will he give a simple, clear cut "absolutely not" answer as a true, classical liberal would or will he dance around the question and give a long-winded, wimpy response like "while I agree that people have a right to free speech yada yada yada this is different yada yada yada because yada yada yada and so on or some other simlar BS in a complicated roundabout way of simply saying they should be prosecuted for the "greater good" or some such shit.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 01:07 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

or us universities. 🤪

and lets not forget all the ridiculous lies and false narratives which reality keeps churning out.

reality in general has a grossly unfair liberal bias, so it's only natural that trumpers would retreat into isolated safe-spaces in order to avoid it.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2021 01:15 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote