KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » St. Patricks Day

St. Patricks Day
Started by: Gundark

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gundark
Mayhem

St. Patricks Day

Okay, anybody have plans ?

We don't, yet. Its on a Saturday this year, BTW. smile

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 12:08 AM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Whill

I'm not Irish so no I don't have any plans. Why does everyone go on about St Patricks day? You never hear of St Andrew, St David or St George.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 01:11 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Oh come on its just an excuse for a party. And I love to party so come on Paddy`s show me some riverdance.!!!smile

"how could you leave your goose feather beds
how could leave your moneyo
How could you leave your newlyweded lord
all for a raggle taggle gypsyo"

"what care I for my goose feathered bed
what care I for my moneyo
I rather have a kiss from a yellow gypsy lips
I`m away with a raggle taggle gypsyo"

Waterboys - Raggle taggle gypsyo

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 01:40 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

There is a nice little Irish Pub across from our dorm called Kitty O'Shea's that me and my roomates will have a little fun at.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 03:39 AM
JediOasis is currently offline Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

So what happens at St. Patricks Day?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 03:46 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Basicly you drink, which is fine with me. I like Irish people thet are very friendly, at least the ones I`ve met, and they make great music.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 04:07 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well, it does get my goat that on St. Patricks day Capital Radio do all this special stuff like live broadcasts from Dublin.

But what happens on St. Georges day? Absolutely nothing, that's what. Tells you a little about the english mindset really...

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 04:29 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

Hmmmm..I wouldn't have guessed that they celebrated St. Patrick's Day in England...

And what's the deal with St. George?..I honestly don't know.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 09:12 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Well exactly. Let's celebrate another contries patron saint but forget our own.

it's a joke IMHO...

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 09:24 AM
Ratcat is currently offline Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dim
Creativity

So what's the patron saint of Wales and Scotland?..I didn't know that most countries had a patron saint.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 09:35 AM
Dim is currently offline Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Can't remember. Noggins and KJ should know respectively.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 09:48 AM
finti

I said it before and I say it again, it`s just an excuse for a party.
St. George and the dragon?smile
" I can tell by the look in your eyes, you never met the man"

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 01:45 PM
Dim
Creativity

Yeah..it is just an excuse to celebrate.

Like we have Presidents Day on Monday laughing out loud I'm not complaining..it's a day off.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 07:33 PM
Gundark
Mayhem

Hey, I'm not off on Monday....Dimmy thats not fair. Want a wake up call from PA when I get into the office ? hehehe. laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 08:04 PM
Gundark is currently offline Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Lucky girl.... Yeah, let's all give Dimmy 20 minute wake up calsl all day and night on Monday!!laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 16th, 2001 09:52 PM
KJ
Sausages

St David is the Welsh patron saint and St Andrew is for Scotland. Ratcat is right, it is a joke. If I was Irish I'd be offended that people(not anyone here) who couldn't care less about Ireland are all of a sudden celebrating all things Irish just for a laugh.
I know a guy who owns a pub in a town near me. He was born in Scotland and all his family are from here but he runs an Irish pub because he says people think it's "freindlier".

Ratcat your right about England. It seems that you can't celebrate being English or you are accused of being racist.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2001 12:44 AM
KJ is currently offline Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gundark
Mayhem

I never considered celebrating St. Patricks day to be making fun of the Irish. That's never occured to me at all.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2001 01:00 AM
queeq
Chaos

Since when do we need a special day to drink?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2001 04:15 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

St. Patrick's Day is big in the States purely because of the Irish minority there taking good and proper use of their right to be heard. On the other side of the Atlantic, all four of the Union's (and Ireland's) Saint days go by with barely a mention- with a few notable exceptions in some places. And my fellow Englishmen shouldn't panic- English patriotism is alive and well, TOO alive and well in some places. Only in extrmees does it appear racist to be pro-English.

The point is, St. Patricks day in Ireland, by now, is as much to do with its cultural roots as Christmas is to do with the pagan festivals it developed from. It's probably not serious enough to be truly insulting to the Irish- irritating, perhaps. But as an excuse for a party... why not? But only, really, in the States.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 17th, 2001 05:51 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ah yes, them Yanks... always looking for their roots in Europe. laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 17th, 2001 06:24 PM